Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Some tools us aircraft mechanics use can be found on the internet.

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I carry a swivel-head, hand-operated rivet gun and a variety of 1/8" diameter blind pop rivets for interior and some exterior repairs.

Only recently have we seen the need for some exterior rivets. I guess I need to add some exterior grade blind rivets to my tool kit as well as some method of dressing the heads of said exterior grade blind rivets. A rivet shaver perhaps... so I can be the envy of all my Airstream neighbors.
Remove the "optional" neoprene washer - have the small pump dispenser with "Vulkem" or equivalent, and put a bead of it under the Olympic rivet head. Vulkem will ensure a long-lasting seal. If you think that you will need to do any riveting, consider the kit sold by Airstream or Vintage Trailer - the kit includes a selection of rivets as well as the correct size drills you will need and can include the shaver. Vintage Trailer also sells a tool to drill out old rivets; it's not very expensive and it ensures that you will correctly and easily remove (drill out) an Olympic or bucked (round head) rivet without having the drill "walk" on the skin.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And the #1 tool that should always be available while on the road enjoying your Airstream adventure in case of a breakdown or needed repair while on the road is.....(drum roll).....

A credit card with a very high available balance....! (Rim-shot)

My favorite scene in Steve Martin's "Roxanne" was when he opens a big toolbox revealing a credit card...nothing else in it. Made perfect sense to me. Harbor Freight or the nearest Big Box Home improvement store usually has all the missing tools...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
This is a great thread by Ray Eklund and others. I especially appreciate the tip in #2 to use a 28mm socket and wrenches on the Equalizer shank bolts. I was always bothered that the 1 1/8" tools I was using were so sloppy. I replaced them with 28mm and the fit is much tighter.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Metal cutting hole saw

I was recently installing my shore water receptacle and needed to put a 1" diameter hole through some 3/16" mild steel. The largest drill bit I owned was 5/8, and my oxy/acetylene torch was out of gas (and would likely have made a messy of a hole anyway). Did a little research, and found that "annular" drill bits are now a thing. The industrial models run $40+, but you can buy the "homeowner" version for $8-15.

So I bought what looked like a plain old hole saw with the mandrel (center bit) included made by Lennox. Since I was drilling where I was, a drill press was not an option, and I had to use a hand drill. Was drilling the pilot hole, and when the bit broke through, the hole cutter smacked into the metal at an odd angle, and this resulted in breaking a tooth off the hole cutter and snapping the pilot bit.

Went back to the hardware store and bought the even cheaper Craftsman annular bit, also with mandrel included. As the pilot hole was already drilled at this point, all I had to do was cut the 1" hole. I was using a corded "heavy duty" single speed, geared down drill, and...well... pushed too hard on it and managed to burn out the electrical motor in a heartbeat. Yes, these little hole saws really bite into the metal. So I got a battery operated drill to finish the job. Worked just fine with relatively light pressure. Ended up having to make a second hole as well, this one went better by drilling the pilot hole first with a separate bit, and then using the annular cutter to make the hole afterwards.

Not a tool you need with you on the road, but a handy option if you need a big hole in thick metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9528.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	404218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9530.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	404219  

Name:	IMG_9531.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	404220  
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
To work on drum brakes add:

36mm or 1 7/16 socket
Snap ring pliers

Everything else you need is on your tool box.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
'Man' Jewelry... and other odd stuff

Some necessary tools and other necessary equipment when you do not have them:

1- Trimming tools. The red handled ones are good 90% of the time. The other for the 10% that would have needed a small chain saw. These are for those overhanging branches and limbs that would carve into your Airstream's polished aluminum. When finished trimming... pile the debris off away from the road, nice and neat. Your Airstream needs room.

- 'soft leaves' and tender branches, that leave no scratches.
- 'dead wood' will permanently engrave its name onto your finish.

2- Milk Crates... the older crates are stronger and better. Holds dog food in a five gallon bucket. Stack many five gallon buckets for hauling water, black or grey water to the dump station, a stool to sit on and other uses if you use your imagination.

I use the long plastic crate to store my Equalizer Hitch and Ball in the back of the Truck. It is stable and you can also add the Grease, Rags to wipe the grease off your head, arms, legs and pants, also my greasy leather gloves, paper towels.

Five gallon WalMart water jugs (we carry two) fit perfect... you make up some uses.

Stand on it for a short ladder. Wear it as a hat if you have been naughty? Junk. Rocks you like to pick up. Boondockers use the Shovel to dig the Cathole in the Bush. Urine flows out of the Black Tank, easily. Carry it to the Dump Station, easy to do, pour and easy to rinse. It is Sterile. You are filthier than that. Really. We add several gallons of fresh water in the Black and Grey tanks and let them slosh clean... bucket to the next Dump Station. Guys use the trees and bushes. Women like the toilet, but give them a shovel and they catch on quickly if THEY have to collect the Black Tank Water. Ohhhhh Weeee a Wyoming Cowgirl can do everything a Cowboy can... and BETTER.

Wash your hands afterwards. You always have dirt under your fingernails. Didn't you learn anything while in the Armed Services... Latrine Duty? Get moving...

3- One standard milk crate holds lumber and leveling blocks. Use them so not to over extend your electric jack and BEND IT AND then claim the JACK WAS DEFECTIVE AND WANT IT REPLACED FOR FREE.

4- With a 3 inch lift kit added to the trailer... entrance ramp is handy. For a 3/4 ton or 1 ton Tow Vehicle a Ramp for our Blue Heelers, necessary. They can exit by themselves and enter themselves into their Pet Porter on the Back Seat. I have heavy packing blanket to protect the SEAT and the Back of the Seat from vibrations of the Pet Porters into the seat leather or plastic or Mohair or manmade materials with fancy names.

5- Have a socket and extension to remove the Hot Water Tank Nylon Plug and some Plumber's Tape wrapped tightly near the head of the plug to SEAL it from... DRIPPING. The socket is a 15/16". You will thank me every time you use it. The Nylon Plumber's Tape is cheap and use plenty from the Center to the head of the plug. Otherwise you will regret not paying attention and your Mom should whack you across the back of that thick skull. Wake up there...

6- When in town... pick up what your Dog drops from the opposite from the eating end. When in the forest... you are free to do what you want. Maverick Stations even provide the Bag to Collect these intereting digested food nuggets... I call them. Look for parasites while you are at it. If the 'nugget' is moving objects... see a Vet.

Tools in #1 will save you enough money in repairing your Airstream's Finish... and cost you nothing in that event. That works for me. It will work for you too!

When we Tent Camped I attached a Toilet Seat onto a taller Plastic Bucket, Cut out the other End... and dug a Cathole below... and everyone... loved it. Bring a magazine stand... it is that comfortable. I learned a lot by reading in the Desert.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0148.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	404281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0149.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	404282  

Name:	DSCN0151.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	404283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0105.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	404284  

Name:	DSCN0032.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	404285  
Old 09-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
To work on drum brakes add:

36mm or 1 7/16 socket
Snap ring pliers

Everything else you need is on your tool box.
Snap ring pliers... when you need THOSE... it is so much easier than a small screwdriver trying to work it off of the Axle! Learned my lesson in 2008.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Snap ring pliers... when you need THOSE... it is so much easier than a small screwdriver trying to work it off of the Axle! Learned my lesson in 2008.

Don’t forget the trusty pole saw. My favorite is the fiskers!!!! And a chain saw for the really rough stuff!
Humboldt Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Air View Post
Don’t forget the trusty pole saw. My favorite is the fiskers!!!! And a chain saw for the really rough stuff!
Loved my Stihl chainsaw. Used it at home and took a National Forest looking 5 acres and turned it into a wonderful yard. Miss the Saw. Not the yard work. The gas and oil mix was the best and keep lots of chain oil handy. Or if not, use some 30 SAE oil and get chainsaw oil somewhere... soon.

Pole Saw... wear goggles as stuff falls onto your head.

I would climb up the tree, pull the Stihl Chainsaw attached to a rope up to me in the tree, fire it up... and let it rip. Still have all the parts I was born with. The walking stick I picked up later on Easter Island, they have Eucalyptus trees ONLY but they provide great walking sticks that are straight... Ahhhh. Rented a car on the Island and the guy asked what for? Beats walking... drove around the Island lots of times. These Moai Statues... are BIG, like in the photographs.

Where was I? Chainsaws and tools, I suppose.

If you mixed the fuel right... is smells better than fresh asphalt being dumped for a driveway.

And.... other current memories to share where someone needed tools.

This last trip a SOB RV was in front of us. His cover for the Air Conditioning was getting ready to take off on its own. (Thinking Chainsaw? Nope. Thinking he needed a tool to secure it...)

Nancy and I discussed should we drive alongside and point up at the roof? Or not? Should we smile and wave with all fingers. Or not? Either way these people would think we were fruitcakes towing a Stolen Airstream and F350 truck and report us to the Utah Highway Patrol near Cedar City, Utah.

We decided just to back off and stop at the Maverick Gas Station on the south side of Cedar City... it has dump station, fresh water, refills on Soda, even the best price on Diesel Fuel.

How does Chainsaw 'evolve' into an AC cover ready to blow off a RV? Easily. Cause... I do this for Fun and when people think you are crazy... they don't ask for money or want you to do something for them... It works.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Good another 'tool' thread....

.......a tool thread starts I have to post this.

Tools explained.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I never leave home without a cordless drill and impact driver. All of my cordless tools are the same brand (Makita) so that they all take the same battery. I recently purchased a cordless Makita chainsaw to collect fuel for my wood lathe. It uses the same batteries as my drills. It is an amazing tool, and will be on all of my future camping adventures. It will be great for removing downed trees across rarely traveled forest roads.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Dacula , Georgia
A Flux Capacitor

A Flux capacitor for those times when I exceed the 87 mph speed rating of the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires.
gt0553b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt0553b View Post
A Flux capacitor for those times when I exceed the 87 mph speed rating of the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires.

Great Scott… you may need 1.21 gigawatts of solar power on your roof go back to 1950 something?
Humboldt Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I never leave home without a cordless drill and impact driver. All of my cordless tools are the same brand (Makita) so that they all take the same battery. I recently purchased a cordless Makita chainsaw to collect fuel for my wood lathe. It uses the same batteries as my drills. It is an amazing tool, and will be on all of my future camping adventures. It will be great for removing downed trees across rarely traveled forest roads.
Same - I have my "Blue Bag" full of Makita screw driver, utility lights air pump. I also have the cordless shop vac which we use for home/shop/Airstream. What it lacks in suction (which is really not that bad), it more than makes up in convenience.

When we had our 40' class A, I carried almost every tool under the sun so I would have the right one when I needed it. Now that we're in an Airstream with a truck bed and relatively limited space for stuff I've had to compact that list of stuff way down.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
We all own this one, the stinger. Sit that on a solid surface and it provides a place to hammer things flat (again) or place things over a unused hitch pin hole to punch / press.

Mudderofallinvention is necessity
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote