Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Tongue jack recommendations?

I have been looking at the Husky HSB5000R Super Brute Power Tongue Jack (#82022) as a replacement for the OEM jack on my Pendleton. I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch on the F250 TV and when lifting the tow vehicle and trailer to hook up the WD bars, the current jack strains quite a bit (it is rated for 3000#). I am thinking of replacing the OEM jack before it gives out on me at an inconvenient time. I like the fact that the Husky jack uses a ball screw rather than an Acme rod for the lifting mechanism and most of the reviews on line seem positive. Has any one else tried this jack? If so how did the mounting holes line up and has your experience with the jack been positive? Or, has anyone found a better jack for this purpose that has the same hole pattern as the trailer A frame?
Bob
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob,

I'll second your Husky choice.

I have a Husky HB4500 on a 2007 30' Slide Out. It has one of the heaviest tongue weight Airstream that I've heard of. I know, somebody will correct that one.

The old jack, I knew about switch replacement, ridiculous switch wiring design. Removing the head for manual override, don't forget the Allen wrench. Oh yeah, then you have to synchronize it. And the noise.

The Husky. Ball screw as you noted. Quiet operation. External manual override, no head removal required. Mine came with a real nice 7 way plug storage bracket. Keeps it cleaner and out of the way.

Fits A frame nicely, don't remember any fitment issues.

I think I'm at least 4 seasons with it. Zero Issues and I do use it to lift and set the bars with.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I became concerned with the same issue on our original Barker 3000 tongue jack so replaced it with a Barker 3500 with the ball screw mechanism for less internal friction. That has been working well for us lifting our ProPride equipped FC 25 and the back of our Ram 1500 to set the weight distribution.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
I had the same concerns about our 8 year old OEM jack giving out at a bad time, and replaced with the Husky 5000 lb. BB jack. It installed very easy and works smoothly. Only time will tell regarding longevity. They don't provide bolts, so plan accordingly. My old ones were in good shape so reused. Look throughout the packaging for a small envelope of star lock washers supplied to increase electrical conductivity. I missed them and supplied my own!
I have a one year history with a Husky 4500 BB that was installed on our Scamp. No problems of any kind with that one.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote