Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Stephenville , Texas
Toilet leak - Plan of attack

Finally got my '79 31' rear bath hooked up to city water. I think I have a water leak but I am not sure where it is coming from. Weather I repair or replace it, Im going to have to remove it. My question is, how intricate is an RV toilet compared to a household toilet. Ive removed, rebuilt and set down more household toilets than I care to remember. If I have all the parts I can pull, tear down, replace all components with new, and set back down a home toilet in 30 min give or take.
I think mine is leaking from one of the flush lines that pours water in the bowl for the prime and flush. Hopefully can be a quick, cheap, and easy fix.

Is this project going to be about the same as a home commode? Just two bolts, floor seal and a water line?

Are the seals rubber or wax and are they universal?

Being a '79 model Agau Magic(assuming it hasn't been replaced before) if I buy a new aqua magic(cause they're the cheapest) will I have to worry about flange size issues?

Im just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I pull it off the floor.

Any input would be great, thank you.

Gasgano1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Sets down on the J flange just like your house except the seal is rubber.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The toilet is a bit hard to remove due to the location of the bolts which hold it to the flange. One is accessed by removing the plastic plug on the rear under the seat, and then with several extensions and a swivel you can get down to it. The front one is seen on the right side of the flush peddle. Of course you will have to figure out how to get at the water connection, sometimes that alone is difficult.

The seal to the flange is with a rubber gasket, not a wax seal. Your old one probably will need replacing after all these years, but if in good condition you can re use it. They are available at a well supplied RV parts house. Flanges are standard, as are rubber seals as far as I know. At least most everything from the late '60's and made by Thetford is. Not sure about all other brands.

The various valves in the Thetford toilet are special to each unit. The main source of leaks other than cracked or broken valves is the anti syphon system. On the top of the unit under the plastic you will find an oval plastic unit with a lot of SS screws in it. Inside there is a little plastic rod about an inch and a half long with a kind of foam plastic ring on it. That is the anti syphon valve and after a number of years the foam plastic seal goes bad and when you flush the toilet water comes out the overflow to the anti syphon system. Those little rods with seal/seat are available from a well stocked RV parts house, but honestly most of them just look at you and say "huh". Their service people replace the toilet rather than repairing it. The part is about $3 but the labor is what kills the professional from repair vs. replacement. If your labor cost is like mine (worthless in $$) you can replace that part. If you rebuild the toilet, I would recommend you replace that little valve part while you have it apart, it will fail sooner or later.

A 34 year old toilet owes you nothing, so you might consider replacement just because. You can fix anything, but at times replacement is the better call.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
If you decide to replace, consider one of the new full size set china bowl type, if you have the room.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote