Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Rochester , New York
Toggle Switch for Power Jack

I just purchased a replacement switch for my Barker Acme 3000 power jack.
However, the new switch has 4 terminals instead of the originals' 6 terminals.
I'm not an electrical guy, so I'm lost as how to make this work, if possible. Help!
jimgillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgillio View Post
I just purchased a replacement switch for my Barker Acme 3000 power jack.
However, the new switch has 4 terminals instead of the originals' 6 terminals.
I'm not an electrical guy, so I'm lost as how to make this work, if possible. Help!
I'm not an electrical guy either so please take this into consideration. I just replaced the jack switch on my 2009 AS. But I replaced it with the same switch so it had the same number of terminals. I don't think you can use a switch with 4 terminals as a replacement.

Did you try to find a similar switch and were unable? Just curious why you would not use the same (part number) switch?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Rochester , New York
Toggle switch

I ordered the same exact part number from etrailer.com. The replacement is same mfg & part # (KEDU HY29B), but, with 4 terminals not 6. Where did you buy your replacement part & did it have 6 terminals? Thanks!
jimgillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I put "KEDU HY29B" into google images and came up with many choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lot-of-2-kedu-hy29b-2lmz7-2pdt-momentary-center-off-20-amp-125-v-6-terminals-5b630c450e1e7c02576.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	290934  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgillio View Post
I ordered the same exact part number from etrailer.com. The replacement is same mfg & part # (KEDU HY29B), but, with 4 terminals not 6. Where did you buy your replacement part & did it have 6 terminals? Thanks!
It is called a DPDT switch and I bought my replacement at Grainger.com. Some of the auto parts stores, like NAPA, have them. I found one there but it had screw terminals and the original one had spade terminals so I went on line to get it. I was told that if you call Barker they have replacement switches.

Don't forget to take pictures so you know which wires go where and also don't forget to disconnect the battery or you will blow the fuse (as I found out).

And it definitely had 6 terminals.

Hopefully that helps a bit!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I had to replace a few of those switches. Mostly because of my neglect. First, always cover jack head to protect it from rain and moisture. he switches don't like moisture.

I called Barker and spoke with someone in tech support about my switches, and both times they sent me a free replacement, even though I was dumb. Not only that, the last time they also sent a jack head cover! Great customer service. Since keeping my head covered, so far no problems.

As far as instal goes, I wrote down which wire went to which terminal. I believe the switch terminals are numbered 1-6. A bit of advice is to carefully use electricians tape and try to wrap a little around each terminal and then wrap the entire switch with tape, testing it first to make sure everything works.

Those terminals are so close together making arcing a possibility. I also crimped the connections a bit for tighter fit.

Carefully replace switch in plastic head.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
My switch is working intermittently
How do you know if it's the switch or a bad group be to frame, which I also hear is a common problem ?
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Group = Ground
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Depending on how old and how wet it got, I'd start with the switch. It also may just be loose connections. No way to know until you disassemble. My jack would work for a hal second or so and then nothing. New switch, happy dance. Also cheaper than replacing entire jack, which I thought I'd be staring at. Also make sure your in-line fuse is not blown too.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When trouble shooting your tongue jack get a piece of 12 ga. wire and jump from the post to the frame on an unpainted place. If the jack works, you have a bad ground. A star washer under one of the flange holes will fix that. Some people actually run an external ground wire to the frame from the head. Or, you could make a short ground jumper from the frame to the flange. The main point is to make there is a direct contact some where between the jack and the frame,
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote