Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
When I was in the process of covering over yellowed plastic and walls I took a sample of the tan trim that was still in good shape and then had Sherwin-Williams match the color and mix up a can of their high quality latex in a flat finish and a semi-gloss finish. I then just painted the areas that needed painting including the areas in the bath room similar to the blue areas in your bath. I also painted the overhead tambour doors with the semi gloss finish and the trim area and they look brand new. I prepared the surface like any other painting job and it has help up very well. I did not paint the original coating on the interior walls or ceiling just cleaned these areas real well, except in the bath area. This area had the pink and blue flower design which was ugly. So I painted this with a tan base coat and the used a sponge with a gloss gold type color to produce a more modern looking finish. I did paint the end caps which are plastic and had yellowed as well. So it is possible to paint the interior walls and ceiling if need be.

I also went to a local wall paper store and looked through reams of samples until I found some a vinyl wall covering that matched the texture and color of the actual coating on the interior walls and ceiling. It was not an exact but a good match. I used this on the walls separating the kitchen from the center bath area as well as other flat surfaces. The big closet doors in the center bath area as shown in my pictures are covered in the wall covering with oak trim. These are actually the original doors but now look a lot better with the covering. The two small cabinet doors in the kitchen under the Bar as well as the front panel as you enter the trailer also have the wall covering. I used a heavy duty paste to apply the wall covering.

Hope this helps.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post
Been there, done that (check my photo's).

You DO NOT want to gut your trailer if you just want to paint.

But if you do, it will cost big money, so you might as well do anything and everything while you have it down that far ... it's hard to stop once you get started!!

We estimated $4,000 - $5,000 to renovate ours and ended up re-doing everything, $40,000 later!

So how much more do you think you could sell your Airstream for AFTER the paint job, if you were to sell it? Yea, that may not be your intent, but you need to know, if you can't get your money back, that your efforts are a labor of love.

If only someone had enlightened me before I fell down that path!!!

What's a sheet of cabinet grade ply (1/8th, 1/4, 3/8ths, etc) now days? And how many sheets will you need if you have to rebuild a cabinet piece, or two, or.... to get things back in correctly?

And how much will it cost to rebuild the framework for the ply? How many board feet of solid 1x oak, or even worse (price wise) black walnut?

And one last thought: how many camping days are you willing to miss while you are doing all that work?
Hi Spiffy Gem;
My hat off to you for being truthful. Both of us know what the labor of love is and what it can cost. I have not sub out any work in restoring my 1973 26" Argosy but not counting my labor I have well over 30K in total restoration which includes all new interior consisting of 18 Sheets of Marine OKUME [African Mahogany plywood] with 5 coats of urethane Marine Varnish. All new appliances, lighting, bedding. To make this explanation simpler, we have only saved the shell. Total restoration time with building a new SS frame over 2000 hours. In order to attempt such undertaking it takes a good reason and deep pockets.
Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi Spiffy Gem;
My hat off to you for being truthful. Both of us know what the labor of love is and what it can cost. I have not sub out any work in restoring my 1973 26" Argosy but not counting my labor I have well over 30K in total restoration which includes all new interior consisting of 18 Sheets of Marine OKUME [African Mahogany plywood] with 5 coats of urethane Marine Varnish. All new appliances, lighting, bedding. To make this explanation simpler, we have only saved the shell. Total restoration time with building a new SS frame over 2000 hours. In order to attempt such undertaking it takes a good reason and deep pockets.
Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Sounds like a great looking Airstream, how about some pictures. Would love to see it.

Don
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Kelowna , British Columbia
Thank you so much Don! I was told the tambour doors will not stand up to a paint job no matter what you use, and as for the tub, sink, and shower area I thought an automotive painter would be able to spray it - I persevere!!!
Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
It does sound great, would love to see it!

With all of this great advice for all of you experienced Streamers I shall paint on, do the upholstery and just aesthetically tidy this up...THANKYOU!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi Spiffy Gem;
My hat off to you for being truthful. "Boatdoc"
Thank-you for the kind words.

I just hate to see people fall down the same road without warning.

That said I do enjoy the fruit of my labor, but my wife is already wanting something else, as Spiffy does not have a 'full time' bed, meaning we have to make one at night and put it up in the morning. That's a hard thing if you have more that two people, especially if it's cold outside and nobody want's to go out while things are being put up.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Paint out the blue and use it as-is for 2010. If you really don't like the layout after this camping season you can start the renovations then. Remember, these trailers are called "Land Yachts" for a reason.

Definition: Boat, a hole in the water into which huge amounts of money are thrown.

Definition: Renovation of Airstream, a hole in the asphalt into which huge amounts of money are thrown.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
I enjoy the transformational end result and anticipated an easier road, though when I appears to be "too good to be true", it usually is. I will face lift it and move forward!
Thanks again for making the time to save my, well, bank account!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post
Thank-you for the kind words.

I just hate to see people fall down the same road without warning.

That said I do enjoy the fruit of my labor, but my wife is already wanting something else, as Spiffy does not have a 'full time' bed, meaning we have to make one at night and put it up in the morning. That's a hard thing if you have more that two people, especially if it's cold outside and nobody want's to go out while things are being put up.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Ok, I had a very good belly laugh over your Definition! - What can I say other than I was an Airstream virgin until December. I had HUGE dreams over the tear out and now I just laugh...all positive and Thanks to be people like you all that have taken time to save me from potential misery, frustration, etc...Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Paint out the blue and use it as-is for 2010. If you really don't like the layout after this camping season you can start the renovations then. Remember, these trailers are called "Land Yachts" for a reason.

Definition: Boat, a hole in the water into which huge amounts of money are thrown.

Definition: Renovation of Airstream, a hole in the asphalt into which huge amounts of money are thrown.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi View Post
Thank you so much Don! I was told the tambour doors will not stand up to a paint job no matter what you use, and as for the tub, sink, and shower area I thought an automotive painter would be able to spray it - I persevere!!!
I found that only the upper tambour door are paintable. They are made with a different material than the lower tambour doors which cannot be painted. Most of the surround in the bath and around the cabinets in the front is just plastic. It paints up real well. Not near as messy as spraying.

Don
Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Don;
If you look at my posts you will find plenty of pics. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mechanicsville , Virginia
Boatdoc:
I just aquired a 1974 International. I intent on keeping the cabinetry in place and resurfacing/painting etc. Mine is in decent shape, while there is some floor rot, which I will be patching, the general integrity is good. I want to use my trailer by spring time, thus my plan is to get her road ready, safe, clean and inhabitable this year and look at projects down the road.

I know my personality and I will become obsessed with this thing, so I am trying to limit my addiction.
F250PUP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gut, paint, rebuild