Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
lrw
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dundee , Michigan
Tire change tricks

We found ourselves with our first flat tire on our 2007 Classic trailer when we got home Sunday and my husband cannot get the bolts to loosen. He backed the tire up on a couple of boards. Is there a special trick to this?
lrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Buy an inexpensive 1/2" impact wrench, if you don't have an air compressor electric ones are also available.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
loosen them before you raise the tire off the ground
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Use a 6 point socket. Do not use a 12 point.
Do not over torque the lugs when you put them back on, your owners manual has the torque values for your rims. I also use Anti-Seize on the lug nuts.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I do not believe Airstream recommends anti-sieze on the nuts. The lubricant effects the resultant axial load on the stud and may over stress them.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I do not believe Airstream recommends anti-sieze on the nuts. The lubricant effects the resultant axial load on the stud and may over stress them.
^
X2

Keep the threads clean and dry.

Swap the chrome capped lug nuts. with these. (the cheep chrome cap loosens over time)

Bob
Old 07-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
A 4 foot piece of waterpipe in the airstream bumper makes all the difference in the world when changing a tire.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Absolutely Do NOT Use Anti-Seize!!!!!

As per the others, DO NOT USE ANTI-SEIZE!!
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I carry a 30" breaker bar in the trailer to loosen the nuts and a torque wrench to tighten them. As mentioned above, DO NOT USE ANTI SIEZE. The torque values are given for clean, dry threads. I have also used a 4-way wrench with the pipe used on the hitch slipped over the wedge end to get plenty of leverage.

If someone has previously used an impact wrench without proper torque limiting, you may have stretched studs. The nuts are hard to remove and both the nuts and the studs may be damaged. I carry an 85 fp torque stick and then bring the torque up to 100 fp with the torque wrench. No one will ever put a torque wrench on my lugs without a limiting device.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A small can of spray penetrating oil might help with the caveat of cleaning all traces of the oil off the wheel studs after getting the wheel off the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
A small can of spray penetrating oil might help with the caveat of cleaning all traces of the oil off the wheel studs after getting the wheel off the trailer.
Not a good idea. Oil is oil. The threads will be clean and dry, having been protected inside the nuts and should not be oily to start with. The most I do is a quick wipe of the studs with a dry rag.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ignore everything that follows. you will not have success using my method. (End disclaimer)

Once lug nuts and wheel are off, check for rust. If rust at base of std, clean with stranded steel wool. Carefully make a strand of several polled from roll. Use like dental floss held by both hands to "brush" the stud threads. Then clean and dry. If severe rust, consider replacing all studs and lug nuts.

When properly made wheel mates with drum or disc there should be no water between them. So rust won't form.

If, however, you are a fan of pressure washers, you may be causing problems.

Now, some cheaper lug nuts do not have a cap or the cap does not seal well. Water can and will find its way in and will rust stud and nut!

I have used "nev-r-seize" on boat wheel lugs and nuts for 50 years. I apply sparingly...drive then check torque as described above by competent AS owners.

My lug nuts are cheap open headed and I run the hot wheels underwater when unloading boat... So the bearings get clobbered if bearing buddies or seals fail... But no problem with loosening lug nuts, no rust on threads.

With aluminum wheels I do same and a very light near on the lugnut and wheel mating surface... If any squishes out, you put too much...remove and clean up.

When installing studs I do same, light coat of NS then press in.

By far, using too much torque will kill the threads on stud and nut and I think is primary cause of early life failure (stuck lugnut).

When removing, I don't get the groaning of metal shearing when I have used NS on lugnut, stud and wheel. I have only replaced "factory" and "tire dealer" installed lugnut and stud.

Of course you must ignore my method. I read this after using my method and my head exploded around page 2.. http://mmptdpublic.jsc.nasa.gov/prc/7085a.doc

And.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2012004005.pdf

Then again, that is NASA and I am NOT a rokit zientus.

C'mon guys... Travel well!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
lrw
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dundee , Michigan
Lugnuts off now to find tires.

Thanks everyone. All your comments helped and tire is off. Removed the boards and had it back on the ground. Used a breaker bar.
Will get it checked out tomorrow. Probably price four new tires; trailer is six years old. We bought it last year and expect they are the original.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
At one time I worked for NASA. They established these specs. by measuring the extension of the studs and therefore determined the exact stress on the assembly. Using lubricant allowed them to reduce the frictional variance and improve the repeat-ability of the resultant stress. Airstream and the car companies develop their torque specifications without lubricant. Using lubricant on the treads and the torques specified by the dry experiments will result in over stressing and damaging the studs. If you want to use lubricant, then you will have to conduct your own tests to establish new lower torque values that will be required to have the studs to remain in the proportional range stress and resulting in stresses that are 80 to 90% of the yield strength of studs. Personal note: It is easier to follow Airstream's engineering department recommendations and do not use lubricant.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
lrw
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dundee , Michigan
lubricant

Thanks for the warnings about using lubricants. You have convinced us not to use them.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I have used anti-seize on every wheel stud i've encountered since the 1970's and never had a single incident, never a rusted or seized nut.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since many of us use a battery powered drill to raise and lower the stabilizer jacks and maybe part of their Hensley hitch, why not acquire a 1/4" shaft small rotary wire brush to clean the lug bolt threads? Then the drill is doing two necessary jobs and makes the acquisition cost of the drill justifiable, if that is necessary for new toys.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
If you will research for yourself instead of listening to a few people on here you will find that alcoa wheels ( which I believe airstream uses) actually list 2 different torgue specs whether you use antisieze or not on your lug nuts.I am a certified auto mechanic and have put antisieze on lug studs for as long as I have been working on cars and never had a problem. Every time I change tire for rotation I always apply it to the threads of the lug studs. Don't get it on the face of the hub or back of wheel. If you ever have a nut rust to the lug you will come back and wish you had applies it to your studs but then it will be too late because you will be replacing studs and nuts. Whatever your decision Good Luck.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Anti-Seize is a good thing, in spite of the flack. On thing I do not see a lot of here is Torque Wrenches. There is a torque spec on all of the wheel lugs based on type of wheel. One should never use a breaker bar or impact driver to tighten wheel lugs. Over tightened wheel lugs will break off on a rough back road. Torque wrenches are readily avaliable on ebay and are reasonably priced.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote