Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cardiff , California
Time to wash the couch covers...Machine or Hand?

Hi all - 2014 International 23' ... We have a pup and while we keep the couch cushions covered, over time we've seen dirt build up and so it's time to launder them -- but the question is, how? We'd like to machine wash (cold) and air dry them but not at the risk of causing material damage, fraying, discoloration, etc.

Has anyone done this? If so, thoughts? settings? dry time?

(we have the corduroy type material - blue/grey color - zip on/off)

Anything else I can share?

Thanks -as always.
ryandanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would wash them like I did my factory curtains. I folded them and put them in my utility sink with Woolite. I hand agitated them a bit, then rinsed. Then, I hung them to dry.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
On our 20 for the same dog reason, I machine washed ours in cold and hung dry after the spin cycle took most of the water out. Worked great. Replacing them was a bit of work to try to keep the fine plastic cover from shifting.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Consider having them dry cleaned.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
If you have a front load washer with gentle cycle it should work just fine. Otherwise when I have a large item that I don't want beaten up, I fill the tub with warm water and detergent and lay the item in to soak. Agitate from time to time, drain, rinse and repeat until rinse water is clear. Let it drain; then hang out doors to dry. I also have a well-trained dog that still gets onto things when he shouldn't.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We have a 2001 Safari and Golden Retrievers who always travel with us. We have a big denim throw that covers the sofa so we've never had to clean the sofa fabric. But I have cleaned the truck's back seat where the dogs ride. I use a Rug Doctor with an upholstery cleaning attachment. I use the special upholstery cleaning fluid too. Super easy to use. Cleans like new. And you don't have to remove the fabric from the cushions. No discoloration or shrinkage of the fabric. Smells good too.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Washing couch covers

We had ours dry cleaned and we're happy with the results. I would not wash any upholstery fabric myself.
kcbwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
I have washed mine twice...cold water, cold water detergent, turned them inside out to dry---put them back on the cushions when slightly damp...my son and his friend who played football for Notre Dame wrestled them back on...took a while and some grunting but they looked and smelled new! (Not the boys..the cushion covers.)
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wrestling them back on IS the challenge, and if you notice some thin plastic sheeting on top of the foam - that's the system they use to get the cushions INTO the covers. It's very like a space bag - the cushion goes into a thin plastic membrane, air is sucked out of the bag until the cushion collapses, the cover is put over it and some companies remove the bag, others leave it after allowing air back in.

Calling a carpet and upholstery shop to have them clean the cushions isn't that expensive - they use a low water and vacuum system - with slightly different heads than for carpets to do the work. Many places have a shop where they do rugs - especially Navajo and Orientals - and if you take the cushions to them it's even less expensive.

I can't see any reason you couldn't use one of those little Bissell extractor things - and leave the fabric right on the foam.

Washing evidently has worked very well for others here... but that varies a lot from one fabric to another and without knowing the original instructions for the fabric it's a gamble. But hey if it goes badly - you've got an excuse to upgrade to ultraleather.

Paula