Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Time for transition - Help needed Please

I came so close to trading my recently purchased truck and my 05 CCD 22' for a RoadTrek Zion - Deal would have gone through if the other side was not so greedy and wanting my tax savings to benefit them instead of me.

Quite honestly I think I would have been so disappointed after the purchase settled in on what I had let go! I love my new truck and I LOVE my airstream!!!

The reason I thought of change though is very real for me.....I am getting tired (older), and the ordeal of packing up, travelling and set up and break down is getting just a bit too much for me.

I know, really hard to admit, when you are transitioning to the golden years and you have to admit your body is killing you, that the driving is whipping you out and you just can't do all the things that came so easy anymore etc.

Nevertheless - the Airstream Gods came through!!! - and did not let the deal happen, consequently keeping this die hard Airstreamer in the clan.

BUT things have to change and there is where I need your help.

Time to do a few upgrades to my little 22' FB tandem.

Four things that I need, to help me last longer in the towing and set up.

1. The stabilizers/levelling set up. I know she is only 22' but I still have to do the same work whether she is 22 or 29'. What is the general consensus as to the go to product today. This is a big deal for me and willing to spend the money to gain many more years of camping.

I want to just push the button or a couple of buttons, no more bending, and cranking, and blocking and back and forth in and out of the truck. I boondock a lot and want a quicker, easier and safe way to level and stabilize her.

2. Awning - manual to power - I am short so I am up and down the step ladder to unlock the wheels, as that stick NEVER works to do that. And back and forth, up and down to raise the awning. I am truly going to break my neck one day falling off that step ladder. Not to mention in climate weather and getting her back in at double time.

Anyone have a price and review of the Zip Dee Retrofit Relax power Kit? - again - yes I am sure it is expensive - but in comparison to buying a Class B, or giving up my travels because of technical issues it will be well worth the money spent.

3. As I do boondock and with all the new technology out there for topping up the batteries - I want to purchase a complete solar kit 300w and want to go with a lithium ion power storage system. I would need to upgrade a mount for the A-frame, as well remove the useless antenna on the roof for more room for the panels.

I am looking for recommendations on complete kits, whom would be a good source for installation - I will be in Quartzite this January - wondering if there is a good deal going on and installation on site?

4. The hitch - I'm still okay for now -but may leave the hitch in the receiver more rather than taking it out and keeping it attached to the coupler when not in use.

Anyone know where I can find that handy hitch assistant thing - I saw it once and for the life of me I can not find it or remember what it is called.

5. Truck - one thing I need for sure is a Bed slide - even if it is just for a few heavy things - to not have to crawl in and lift and bend over - big mistake with my back and hip!

Any recommendations?

Moving to the inside of my trailer.

I already upgraded the dinette to the L-seating with slide out couch, and went with a drop in table (2) for convenience - but now they are NOT convenient and a pain in the aS. As I am taking out the old vinyl flooring - finally!

Recommendations for a quality vinyl floor and best installation Mine was stapled at curb side and tucked under the street side galley cabinets. Her first winter in freezing weather the vinyl shrunk and puckered - I have lived with that for years. It was always covered with throw rugs for Haily my Golden who slipped on the floor. Sadly she is no longer with me - past away last month 4 months shy of her 16th Birthday - bless her soul!

I want to fill the table mount holes- I trip over the dang things when not in use, and find it hard to get around the couch when they are in. They are not sturdy so I have broken one table off its mount leaning a little hard - or was it trying to get the dang pole out of the hole LOL. I only ever use one table in two different positions.

1. I want to install a Lagun articulating table that can be mounted on the end of the "couch" by the desk - there would be plenty of travel to swing in for a table and swing out of the way to get up.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Lagun Table from? and anyone have any pics of theirs and reviews from those who have used one?

2. The oven has to go - I want to change out the cook top as the three burner system is a joke - one is a simmer that never gets used. The next one is not adjustable thus really only leaving me with one burner.

The combo takes up 2 x 2 space for one burner. The oven I never use - thus drawers for pots and utensils would be a much better use of the space.

Anyone remove theirs - willing to show me what you did?

And what recommendations for a two burner - propane?

I know a little long - but I have always had great advice here since 2007 !!!!

Thanks All.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I use a tool called a "Hitch Grip" available from Amazon to install and remove my hitch a lot easier than grabing it by hand. I also installe a Traxion tailgate ladder to make it easier to geet thing out of the bed of the truck. Both of these items are available from Amazon and both combined are less than $100. Worth every penny!!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I use a tool called a "Hitch Grip" available from Amazon to install and remove my hitch a lot easier than grabing it by hand. I also installe a Traxion tailgate ladder to make it easier to geet thing out of the bed of the truck. Both of these items are available from Amazon and both combined are less than $100. Worth every penny!!!
YES CBWELL - that is it!!! I would just have to make a box to set it in while not in use at the camp ground so it does not sit in the dirt. I pop the ball into the coupler currently - but lifting would be so much easier for sure - THANKS!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
A member of our unit built a bracket with a 2" square tube, and an inverted u welded to the back that fits over the frame rails behind the propane tanks. He inserts the stinger of the hitch into the 2" tube, and the hitch is off the ground. The locking hitch pin is inserted to hold and lock the hitch in place, as the tube has holes drilled to match the stinger holes. He is working on designing a way to lock the bracket to the frame to prevent theft. When he is done, I will be getting one made. Just another idea!! Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
CB - that sounds interesting too.

I hope to update my house battery to two - on the A-Frame Mine sits forward of the propane cover - so not sure I would have room for more attachments.

Have to double check the A-Frame Weight that would affect the tongue weight - but then if I went with Lithium Ion Batteries the weight of two is still less than my one.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Stabilizers: I use a battery-powered portable drill with a ¾” socket - cranking is eliminated.

Awning: powered awning can be retrofitted. Zip Dee quoted me big bucks, so I passed on it. However, I have no trouble using the wand to tighten or loosen the wheels securing the awning.

Solar: Recommend Discount Solar in Quartzsite. Craig is both knowledgeable and honest. He did the last upgrade for my solar system. Make sure that you upgrade to heavier wiring (I upgraded to #6AWG) and to a MPPT type controller (I have a Blue Sky). Also if you have not as yet done so, have a multi-stage charger/converter installed. As for batteries, I still use AGM batteries.

To lift stuff into and out of the truck I installed a crane (see https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ane-60732.html ). HF had it on sale 50% off, so for $50 I bought it and spent another $50 to have it installed – best $100 investment.

I'll be at Q again this winter - look for me at the SKP Boondockers' on Plomosa Rd (signs will be up about 1.6 miles in).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed part of the conversation when we bought our Classic revolved around many of the same issues you are looking into. Power awning, power jack, power stabilizers all have a downside in terms of "what if it fails". To us they offered a shot at a few more years use of the trailer.

Solar wise, you can indeed buy this or that kit to add solar to an existing trailer. There is a lot of work involved. If you are concerned about setup / teardown that also should be something to think about. I'd recommend running the rig over to a pro and letting them do the work. AM solar seems to get a lot of recommendations, there are a number of others who also do a good job.

If your truck does not already have full cameras (360 degree view), that would be on my list of things to get next time. They make the whole hook / unhook process much easier. Upgrading an existing truck is in the "probably not" category. It's also not important enough that I would sell a perfectly good truck just to get the feature.

Lots of fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Stabilizers: I use a battery-powered portable drill with a ¾” socket - cranking is eliminated.

Awning: powered awning can be retrofitted. Zip Dee quoted me big bucks, so I passed on it. However, I have no trouble using the wand to tighten or loosen the wheels securing the awning.

Solar: Recommend Discount Solar in Quartzsite. Craig is both knowledgeable and honest. He did the last upgrade for my solar system. Make sure that you upgrade to heavier wiring (I upgraded to #6AWG) and to a MPPT type controller (I have a Blue Sky). Also if you have not as yet done so, have a multi-stage charger/converter installed. As for batteries, I still use AGM batteries.

To lift stuff into and out of the truck I installed a crane (see https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ane-60732.html ). HF had it on sale 50% off, so for $50 I bought it and spent another $50 to have it installed – best $100 investment.

I'll be at Q again this winter - look for me at the SKP Boondockers' on Plomosa Rd (signs will be up about 1.6 miles in).
That is a nifty gadget for sure. But not sure that would help drag stuff from the back to the front. Would I not have to get in and hook it up. I can see the benefit of lifting at the generator at the front and end of a trip. I leave the Gen on the trailer gate when needed. Not a lot but sometimes as my bat is getting older and not keeping charge. Hence the wish of solar with a good set of batteries.

I have thought of the drill but need to have extensions welded. And still would have to bend over. I have to be careful cranking as the get stuck and can cross thread easily. My ex did that and it cost me 180.00 to unstick them. I like the idea of independent levellers, because there is a lot of back and forth and round and round and in and out of the truck to when using the side side wheel levellers.

How do you get your wand to work. You must be tall. When I first got her I used it but the wheels were never tight so hence using the ladder. And getting the little lock out was impossible. I want your height and strength, will you sell it cheap or be my travel worker buddy

Guess no one is willing to let me know how much the retrofit is, ahead of calling them so I don’t faint on the phone.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Zip Dee retrofit

A quick google search netted this, and more.

Disclaimer, I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS SELLER.

http://airstreamsupply.com/index.php...roduct_id=2373

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
A member of our unit built a bracket with a 2" square tube, and an inverted u welded to the back that fits over the frame rails behind the propane tanks. He inserts the stinger of the hitch into the 2" tube, and the hitch is off the ground. The locking hitch pin is inserted to hold and lock the hitch in place, as the tube has holes drilled to match the stinger holes. He is working on designing a way to lock the bracket to the frame to prevent theft. When he is done, I will be getting one made. Just another idea!! Chris
Please send pics! Sounds like some good engineering.
THX
pc
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , PA
Quote:
I prchased a 2.5” to 2” receiver adapter from eTrailer, and mounted it to the frame behind the propane tanks on my 23CB with 2.5” leaf spring, square u-bolts, and a couple of small pieces of channel. See pictures below. I user the receiver pin lock, but have not yet addressed locking the u-Boles to the frame. It provides a convenient place to store the hitch while camped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	602A6205-D18D-49EB-9CE6-984E85BDD675.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	324565   Click image for larger version

Name:	C575C01F-E3DC-429F-91EA-D7598B82CC31.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	324566  

Uncle_Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Anywhere , IN
Laguna

Greetings
I believe I purchased my articulating lagun from Lagunusa.com. it is now installed in my 16' Sport. I attached a very large cutting board from Amazon. I then epoxied the top. I now have room for my small recliner in place of most of dinette.
I have attempted to attach a picture, but can't seem to get on to how that is done. I hope it works this time.
Safe travels
KRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Bed Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ModPod View Post
5. Truck

- one thing I need for sure is a Bed slide - even if it is just for a few heavy things - to not have to crawl in and lift and bend over - big mistake with my back and hip!

Any recommendations?
Hi,

As far as a bed slide, I purchased a CargoGlide 1500XL, which is rated for 1,500 lbs and with the XL series, 100% of the cargo tray length, slides out of the truck, in order to give you full access to everything in the bed.

Bought it from eTrailer about 16 months ago for $1,979. But if I had to do it again, I would just purchase it from that same individual that is going to install it..... Back at that time, I was trying to save myself money anywhere I could, so in the process, I had to go find help getting a 500 lb. pallet loaded up into my truck bed, the week I was taking it to get it installed.

Have no complaints with it, works great, especially for my bad back. I have it installed in a GMC 2500 diesel with a Knapheide truck cap over the bed. But you do lose some cargo carrying capacity, in order to compensate for the bed slide and mounting frame.

Below is the link to it on their website:

http://www.cargoglide.com/products/c...ide-cg1500-xl/

Good luck with all your initiatives here to 'buy yourself more time' with your Airstream. I'll be faced with many of the same concerns myself, sooner than I'd like .

Cheers. wv
Old 10-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
A quick google search netted this, and more.

Disclaimer, I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS SELLER.

http://airstreamsupply.com/index.php...roduct_id=2373
OMFlippingG

I think I will find a ladder with safety railings LOL.

I have a Rubbermaid three step wide rung that has done me well.

Ha I was sitting down thank goodness when I pulled up your link.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Bert View Post
I prchased a 2.5” to 2” receiver adapter from eTrailer, and mounted it to the frame behind the propane tanks on my 23CB with 2.5” leaf spring, square u-bolts, and a couple of small pieces of channel. See pictures below. I user the receiver pin lock, but have not yet addressed locking the u-Boles to the frame. It provides a convenient place to store the hitch while camped.
That is a great idea. Will check to see if I could find some space on mine.
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRPS View Post
Greetings
I believe I purchased my articulating lagun from Lagunusa.com. it is now installed in my 16' Sport. I attached a very large cutting board from Amazon. I then epoxied the top. I now have room for my small recliner in place of most of dinette.
I have attempted to attach a picture, but can't seem to get on to how that is done. I hope it works this time.
Safe travels
That sounds like a great modification. So you like the laguna, it is sturdy and not flimsy? I guess made for marine application it would be pretty tough, being a former boater I know there is repetitive bouncing and pretty hard too.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Just found the Anderson Camper Levelers. Yes pricy but cheaper than electric. Anyone have them do they work as well as the video says?

Going to the Toronto RV show next weekend hoping they will be there fir a show price.

As for the stabilizer crank rods. Is there such a thing as extensions to bring the end out flush with trailer side so I can see them without doing an acrobatic move.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ModPod View Post
Just found the Anderson Camper Levelers. Yes pricy but cheaper than electric. Anyone have them do they work as well as the video says?
I have the Anderson levelers and love them, though I'm still not over the owner of the company vandalizing public lands, so I wouldn't recommend buying them. Amazon has a similar product from a different company that I would suggest checking out:

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Ca.../dp/B078TJC9FN
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I was going to recommend the Anderson levelers. They work exactly like they show in the youtube video. Best part is that it's a curve, so it avoids that 1 lego not enough/2 legos too much issue.

Be sure to drive ONTO them and back OFF of them. Why? One airstreamer did it the opposite way and it shot out onto the dump valves causing some minor damage. So figure out where you want to set up, then back up about another foot or so, then drive ONTO the Anderson levelers on the low side.

As to the stabilizers, if the airstream ones are giving you problems, you could use aftermarket ones instead.

As for the other items you mentioned, check out boating/marine supply websites for cooktop ideas.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
One of the great unintended side effects of a modification I made might be a great help to you. I lifted my trailer 3" for better clearance for boondocking, and avoid tail dragging. What I've noticed is that not only was the lift awesome for clearance, every interaction with the trailer was more comfort due to the fact that I didn't need to stoop as low. Dealing with the hitch, using external storage, stabilizers, dumping the tanks, etc. 3" doesn't sound like much, but this was truly awesome.

I echo the others on the Anderson levelers, sooo easy to use.

With the stabilizers, absolutely power drill with socket adapter. No extension needed.

Hitch head, I just leave on the tow vehicle. And push the WD bars on my Equalizer parallel to the rear bumpers.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote