Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
This has really caught on - great! I like the duct tape over silicone fix - that's gotta work right?
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB View Post
This has really caught on - great! I like the duct tape over silicone fix - that's gotta work right?
Well, it worked for the Titanic. Oh, wait...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
The three "outstanding" features on my Argosy when purchased:
1. The original carpet from'79 apparently never ever cleaned, disgusting,
Tore it out on the way home from TX
2. Original upholstery. Again, never cleaned. Covered with sheet after
Spraying with a cleaner from Walmart, on the way home.
3. Of course it smelled but I didn't realize until I got home and began
Cleaning in earnest that the entire interior was covered with a film of
Mold . Some bleach and water and its now quite bright with the ,
Original vinyl wall covering.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Couldn't resist adding a couple from a long list of curious finds on my trailer.

Inspecting the gas lines, I found a new leak detection method:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	191903

And this metal plate was attached to cover the unused bathroom fan exhaust hole:

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	191904
Turn it over and...well, I'll let you draw your own conclusions:

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	191905
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I think my PO (or his even dumber son) tried to sandblast our rig at some point, but gave up. It became all too evident once I started polishing. Just ordered a second half-pound of F9 from VTS.

Lynn
Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
I can relate to so many things reading this post!! My number one enemy has been the multi-levels of silicone to "fix" leaks. Judging by the floor rot that didn't work out so well. And the lovely two-toned brown 70's accent colors striped around and on the AC...
Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

PO of my '66 Ambassador was really honest.

But I CAN'T say the same thing about the guy who sold me a '77 Avion. "She will polish up to a mirror shine!" When I tried to explain to him about the anodized exterior, he just kept fast-talking right over me with "Avions never leak." (The tarp on the ground next to the Avion should have been my first clue, but - no - I was new to this:-)

After the first rain (you guessed it) there was water inside. I climbed up on the roof and found PO has pour tar all over the roof (I mean ALL over it) to stop the leaks. It was hot tar, too, because it melted one of the roof vent covers. (The ones you can only buy directly from Cayo and have ground shipped to Texas for about $400).

After 20+ hours of trying to chip off the old tar, I gave up. Funny thing is I listed it on Craigslist with full disclosure, photos of the roof, everything. I got every penny back and then some. Then I found my beautiful, original '66 Ambassador.

Honesty pays.
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Back in 2005 I bought a 1994 LY diesel pusher. The PO, who was a licensed mechanic & had owned his own garage and was certified by the Ontario Government to do vehicle inspections (which for the motorhome he did elsewhere):

Item (1), he had run a bead of silicone on the roof seams. They looked OK, and I didn't know better. When the roof leaked I couldn't figure out why and went to an RV dealer. He had me get on the roof with him and showed me that by putting a fingernail under the silicone sealant he was able to simple lift it all off in one strip.

Item (2) The Canadian Transportation Dep't requires daytime running lights, so the PO simply wired a "fusible link", namely a piece of wire from the switched side of the buss to the headlights. Naturally the amperage drawn exceeded the rating of the main relay that activates the buss. Once started, if I left the headlights switch on, I could switch off the ignition and it would still drive. When the relay finally packed out, it was while I was on the express lanes on the elevated 401 going through Toronto.

Item (3). Checking the polarity of the 110-volt sockets showed that some of them were wired incorrectly. Finally, I looked at the main panel and found that the brilliant PO had changed the GFI breaker and crossed the ground with the neutral.

In addition, there was very little real maintenance done, so major breakdowns were a way of life. I finally sold it in 2011 and got the AS and TV I now have and never looked back.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #29
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
"There is nothing wrong with this Airstream! It's perfect! I guarantee there is nothing wrong with it. I just put down new laminate because of a stain."
Well, we tested the floor with a moisture detector and got zero results. The floor was just a little "flexy' under the table, but I thought to myself, "Probably just a trailer floor."

Nope. Rather than properly repair a leak, the PO put sheets of metal over the floor. Trapping in additional moisture. Then put down new laminate and proceeded to sell it like nothing was wrong. It defeated my moister detector when I hit the plastic behind the laminate and above the metal.

I was pretty afterwards about this discovery, but glad that it's only in one area, and is typical of these years. Here I thought I was getting lucky.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #30
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
We won't even talk about the floor......Just as well, as if I had found out about the floor I probably would have walked away. Now I have a new sub floor and a great motorhome.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...me-106269.html

The one that got me was dropping the front engine access and pulling the oil dip stick, to which the PO said...."What's that???" Luckily for me his son owned a trucking company and did all his service work on the coach.

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
I got "the floor is solid. It has no leaks". Yeah.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote