Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Yes, all finished. I replaced the 30 Amp receptacle and purchased a new shore cord. All is good on the 120 volt 30amp end.

Attachment 196717
Here is the new plug all attached and tested - working well.

I was just mentioning that I believe the two might have been interconnected but not sure.

I purchased several new phone line junctions (RJ-11- four pin) and tried mounting one. I connected one of the phone lines to one end of it and the thermostat turned on. Then I tried the air conditioning. It didn't turn on until I jiggled the phone lines going into the connector. It's been working but seems to be a little intermittent. Ideally I'd like to replace the male ends of the phone lines as well but I've never tried this before. I think the male ends could use a little cleaning. And now I don't understand why there are two of them.
There are 2 RJ-11 jacks on the 2 data cables because every Dometic roof unit is pre-wired for multi-unit use. When installed on larger trailers or motorhomes, there can be up to 4 zones controlled by one thermostat. The roof units are daisy-chained using the 2 data cables that you found. The individual zone is set with dip switches at the upper relay board on each A/C unit and then programmed into the t/stat.

As most Airstreams have only one roof A/C, there is really no need for the extra cable, but the units with 2 or more roof A/C units sure need them!

Class dismissed!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Thanks. This is really good to know. This is an upgraded AC unit installed by the factory about two years ago. I wanted a thermostat and a heat pump instead of those wimpy little electric coils. For some reason the factory had an RJ-11 couple on both cables and I thought both needed to be connected. Yes, with one AC unit i only use Zone 1. I sincerely appreciate your help and insights.
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Ccd

If the CCD is not sending signals to the a/c it will not work. If the CCD is dead it needs to be replaced for $100. Check fuses first before replacing.
Kingsmen 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsmen 33 View Post
If the CCD is not sending signals to the a/c it will not work. If the CCD is dead it needs to be replaced for $100. Check fuses first before replacing.
Just for the record………..that's CCC (Comfort Control Center). And just how does one know that it's 'dead' ?

From my experience, a CCC that will not come on or will not operate is usually an indication of other issues, either with the communication cable or the upper control board and NOT the CCC itself. Simply changing a dark CCC will generally do nothing to solve the problem.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Listen to Lew.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote