Old 09-08-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Then depression set in....

Couple of questions here,

First, of those doing a compete overhaul of the trailer, what is the time table you have been working with??

Second, as many of you may know (or not) there is a new baby on the way here (that makes four kids ) and depression is setting in on me. Am I ever going to get back to work on the Wreck?? Is there ever goiong to be funding for it????

On the up side, I have a range with four burner top. Well my friend has it and will be delivering it to me next month.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
Tedd,

I just passed one year, and I don't have the shell back on yet. Don't give up.

But remember there are a lot of things more important than a travel trailer.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Celebrate, dance to the music!

Tedd... Congrats are in order for you and your lovely wife!

But you're absolutely right... there's NOTHING more important than getting that Airstream back on the road... don't worry about your wife and family... if you ignore them long enough, they'll all go away!

Life is a journey, NOT a destination. Enjoy the time you spend with the trailer but treasure the rest of your time with your family. The trailer may never go away. Your family will grow up and leave all too soon, and THEN you'll have plenty of time for the restoration!

Hang in there! Life is GOOD!

Roger
Old 09-08-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've got a 2-3 year time table on my 58 to complete - 2 year to get it usable. Not in a big hurry cause I've got a very nice 75.

Kids do grow up very quickly - I would give almost anything to do it again, my kids and I have/had a really great time with them - lots of camping, biking and hangin out - we were camping with them as babies - now my oldest is in college and I've got all kinds of time for trailer restoration. You've got all the time in the world to get the trailer done - I do remember when they were young that college was an eternity away but as they say, time goes fast when your having fun. First things first though.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
When I started my restoration in December, I figured it would take a couple of months to do what was needed. So from past experience on similar projects, I doubled that number before discussing future plans with my wife.

While I did not do a shell-off restoration on my Airstream that had sat for 23 years, I did gut the interior to replace the bathroom decking. Then, everything was either cleaned, refinished, rebuilt, or built from scratch before re-installation. It took about eight months of primarily weekend work before we hit the road the first time.

It seemed like every task had an Airstream specific learning curve. Plus, having tent-camped all my life, I had to figure out subtle things like why the heat duct appeared to blow air on that tank beneath the toilet. Then the time involved in finding parts for a 37 year old travel trailer was a lot longer than anticipated. Nothing ruins a day faster than InlandRV replying with, “That part is NLA”.

I do not know what I would have done if I had not had this forum to learn from. When a particular task was not going well, I could visit the forums, and either gain insight into a different approach, or find someone who was in worse shape than I was. And a lot of those “worse shape” threads were dated – The poster is now on the road again. Everything is overcomable.

I know what you mean about the kids. I have a three year old, and a four year old. Unless there was some safety-related task to do, the “Boyz” are always allowed in the shop, and in the Airstream when I’m working. It slows me down a bit some days, but I can already see them growing up in front of me, and do not want to miss more than I have to. To me, just being with your kids means a lot; You do not have to constantly entertain them to be considered a good dad. They find their own entertainment like hiding your tools from you.

The money part is a funny thing. With due research, one phone call, and several Internet orders, my wife managed to spend more money on the flooring material & soft goods (curtains, reupholstery, etc.) than I have wrapped up in rest of the restoration. And she never got her hands dirty. My head is still spinning. You can save a lot of money if your wife sews…

I enjoyed the restoration, and the next Airstream I restore would go much faster. But I just do not see acquiring another one anytime soon (Sorry Andy ). One per decade should be sufficient.

Tom
Old 09-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Like Ken I have a user and a fixeruper. The later mostly sitting all summer and I don't have the kids for an excuse, just stuff that needed doing, like getting the house ready to be painted. Only two outing this summer but two more planned. Won't get the floor done the year but I'll hack around with the interior walls and wiring. Take you time, enjoy the doing, sitting in it with your favorite kid and beverage and just feel it all around you.
Break it down into parts and parts of parts, not the AS the restoration. The AS will also be lots of parts of course. That way if you feel like doing a half hour on something you'll have something to do and not feel like you are losing touch with it. Just making plans can keep you going. If you're the kind of person who has to be doing something 100% from start until finish then you are going to not enjoy the AS or the kids. It's a hobby thing afterall. OK , it's an obsession that's out of controll but there are no meds for it so better to call it a hobby thing.
Besides you are going to need a bigger AS and a new truck to pull it, now that should cheer you up.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I'm sure that when all is said and done 20 years from now hopefully you will have many great memories to look back on of you and your wonderful family spending time in your
"wreck". It will all be worth it, as Over59 said, "It's an obsession out of control w/ no meds"...look at every new little part you put in it as a med and you will find relief....Good luck to you!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

You're a better man than I am...

Ted,

I looked at your photos... you're a better man than I am. I wouldn't even begin to take on a project like that. I have a buddy who likes to do frame up stuff and I'm proud to say I know him. He enjoys the process... I think even more than the finished product. Me, there's no way I can handle much more than grunt work then I get help on the stuff requiring mechanical aptitude.

If you have room to store it and can plug away at it and you enjoy the process then keep at it. If it's getting you down, part it out and pick one up that's closer to ready. Happiness is a journey not a destination.

Congrats on the baby. We have a 7-year old of our own and are heading to China in a couple of weeks to adopt a baby girl . (Big excitement, big dollars)

I guess the wifes new car, the airstreams new axles and water heater are going to have to wait.... What the heck, the axles aren't that bad and I've never camped in a tent with a water heater...

Good luck!

Ken
Old 09-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Don't dispair. Pick your attack stragegy and go for it.

The AS is just like a house, there is always something to do.

The best advice I could give would be to get it road ready asap and work on the rest of the stuff as time and money allow.

It makes more sense to the family when your working and spending money on it if your actually using it.

I have been accused of liking to work on the AS more than using it! Don't know if its true but it has turned into quite the hobby. Never thought I needed a hobby...

Been working on it off and on for 3 years now having to learn everything as I go. But we starting camping in it almost 1 year to the day we bought it.

You also learn alot by using it so during the rebuild you can make those changes that make it work better for you.

Have fun with it, that's what its all about.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:12 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

I wouldnt let myself get depressed about it , just do a little something on it each day and it will add be done in time . I bought a 63 three years ago now , and soon found out I had cancer . So in between three major surgeries and chemo ,and radiation I had some time off , even tho I wasnt exactly firing on all eight . I puttered away on it . Its almost done now . Two mistakes I made . First I had another airstream or two that took time away from the 63 , but it was good to have one on the road , but they needed fixin too . Second , during the last stay in hospital I decided I was going to take the Big Trip ,and have been working steady on the old girl to finish up and take off a week ago , havent left yet ....but anyway that has taken the fun out of it , as you know it all takes time this restoration stuff . And my time might be less than I might have hoped ,so thats the hurry ,but anyway I`m leaving in the next few days , I`ll finish some details on rainy days on the road .
So dont get hung up on the big picture , enjoy each little victory as you finish some part of it , be prepared for a setback or two , and give up having coffee out or smoking and use the $ for parts . Or sell something you dont use . I sold the other airstream and bought the pricey stuff , fridge ect . Good luck on the project ,
Chris
[QUOTE=till]Couple of questions here,

First, of those doing a compete overhaul of the trailer, what is the time table you have been working with??
Old 09-09-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
babystream

Hi,

I read somewhere that dread and depression are kinda normal when a baby's going to come, knowing your life is going to become temporarily very busy and crazy, and losing control of your time...I sure know it happened to me around month 7. I know this is your fourth, but don't despair. You may have to put the 'stream aside for a while, but it won't be forever. When you're holding that little creature someone will mention your trailer and you'll think, "what trailer?"

Then when the new routine sets in, sooner or later, you'll get back to it. Funding is the reason we have done NOTHING, and we've had ours since June.

I hope your baby comes all healthy and happy, and I know I speak for everyone when I say we want pictures!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

You are truly blessed. Children are God's way of reminding us how truly beautiful innocence really is. I have only one child, a boy that is now 7 and I am 48 but every day I thank God for this tremendous blessing that he has seen fit to place in my life.

A project here or there can't really compare to what a child means so don't be down hearted, but instead look forward with joy and celebration.

Besides, the AS will be attended to when you have the time. If you could attack it tomorrow with a full pocket book and all the time to work it through then you still would have a project that would last for a while. Taking your time will also insure that you do things a bit better in terms of quality.

Be Happy, It'll get there!

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Thank you one and all for your words of encouragement. They really help. I think I may just get back to it, and keep pushing untill the big ticket items hit then hold untill there is funding. THe 2K for axles and wheels will be the biggest hold up next the the plywood for the new floor. Man this stuff is spensive.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 04:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Thank you one and all for your words of encouragement. They really help. I think I may just get back to it, and keep pushing untill the big ticket items hit then hold untill there is funding. THe 2K for axles and wheels will be the biggest hold up next the the plywood for the new floor. Man this stuff is spensive.....
The price of wood and steel have gone WAY up in the last 6 months, like 40 to 60%. Ouch.

But like my uncle used to say, "It'll be there for you".

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote