Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
the zenman

1972 31' Sovereign
wakefield , Quebec
the ronnie re...re...re...project

Hi all
My name is Gerry Morgan, or, "the zenman" by those who know me. This is not because I have reached some level of calm and oneness with all, but because I play the zendrum...which is great fun.

I live in the village of Wakefield, just north of Ottawa Canada on the Gatineau River with my wife Estelle.

I am a career musician and more recently an engineer and producer.

A couple of years ago I ran across a really interesting project of a guy named Ronnie Lane, who imported an AS trailer in the early 70's and began recording music. His rig was called the "LMS"

After the first year the floodgates opened and the catalogue of classic recordings and legendary producers that were created inside the LMS's pastel blue, shag pile-lined aluminium shell is unmatched anywhere in rock & roll. The list is too long to recreate, but if one of your favourite records isn't here, you shouldn't be involved in rock & roll. To name but a few, and in no particular order....

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - UK #1. US #1 The Who - Quadrophenia UK #1 US #2
The Who - The Who by Numbers UK #3 US #2 Bad Company - Bad Company UK #1 US #1-Eric Clapton - Rainbow Concert UK #2 US #3-The Faces - Ooh La La (their biggest seller) UK #1 US #3-The Stones - Black & Blue UK #2 US #1-Mott The Hoople - Mott UK #12 US #21-Ronnie Lane - Slim Chance & Rough mix (w. Pete Townsend) UK & US # who cares!

Other users of the studio include: Bob Marley, Jack Bruce, Marc Bolan, David Bowie, Van Morrison, The Pretty Things, The Damned, Elvis Costello, Stevie Wonder, John Lee Hooker, Keith & Ronnie, B.B. King, Dave Edmunds, Jeff Beck and... well, pretty much anyone who ever really sold any records.

Total sales of recordings from the LMS around 500 million.

Pretty impressive...I wanted one.

Several months ago I picked up a '72 AS Sovereign and began my journey. I know there are quite a few folks who read these forums who may have a hard time with wandering away from the original design, but my education in acoustics, my 40+ years recording and my time spent on this forum and other re4search portals have caused me to undertake what has become perhaps a little bigger project that originally thought, but, I prevail.

Please keep in mind this is not a restoration, but more of a re-design for a specific commercial purpose. I gutted the ronnie, my rigs name, and seperated the frame from the body. All the wire, plumbing and insulation is removed and I am on my way. The frame has been stripped and treated with Por15. I will shortly flip the frame back over once I have re-skinned and treated the underside. This is the stage I am at now.

Okay...so far so good...now comes the funky stuff. I will fill the frame with fibre glass insulation and install a new floor made from a galvanized metal material that is stronger than 3/4 plywood but lighter and a little less rigid. The body will be raised 18" to give me the necessary headroom and floor cavity over the wheel wells to install all my HVAC, 3 water tanks, plumbing and 12v, 115v and 220v wiring I need.

I am also installing a 10'WX8'deep slide out where the electronic wiring and components will be, well away from any other buzz creating AC or DC current.

My tow vehicle is a 1988
Chevrolet Grumman 1 ton 6.21 diesel automatic which is also aluminium. I will also strip it and polish it up as well. It will contain the generator and act like a tender for the AS.

Well that’s it for now. As I move along I will post comments and pictures for anyone who is interested. The only picture that is not similar to many others is the new floor which will be installed next week. So far all the rest you have seen.

peace
z
www.theronnie.com
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome Zenman from another 72 Sovereign owner! Sounds like Ronnie will be a very interesting project to say the least. I for one would love to see pics of what you're doing and progress you’re making, so please post some!

It does sound like you’ll be adding a bit of weight to the trailer with all the equipment you’ll be adding. Are you planning on still having Ronnie towable? Have you beefed up the frame at all? That might not be as much of a concern if she’s going to remain stationary.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sounds like a cool project with loads of engineering challenges! Sounds like you are on your way to a unique and fun rig.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman View Post

Well that’s it for now. As I move along I will post comments and pictures for anyone who is interested. The only picture that is not similar to many others is the new floor which will be installed next week. So far all the rest you have seen.

peace
z
and zen what happened?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
the zenman

1972 31' Sovereign
wakefield , Quebec
weight

Anyone have any idea what a 5000 pound Sovereign would weigh if it was stripped down to just walls and floor inside and 3 empty tanks?

z
www.theronnie.com
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote