Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Talking The Fun has Just Begun!

Well...

The wife is gonna let me do it... We're on our way to the dealer tomorrow morning to sign the papers on a new 2005 19' Bambi CCD! I'll owe on the trailer for a good few years, I'll owe my wife much more!!

So, here's a general question (sorry we're nubies): Can anyone offer some pointers on what to look for and check on a general final inspection prior to accepting the AS? I'm looking for any specific points or items your experts might have to offer for me to check and make sure in its in working order. Anything you suggest the dealer demo right on the spot to verify it's working order, etc.

We're also getting the Equalizer hitch installed too, so any pointers on what to verify on this item would also be appreciated.

I guess if I find any issues, the dealer will have time to work on it before we actually take it home, since my wife and I will be out of the country until later this month. Too bad... I want to take her out on a maiden voyage so badly!!

Thanks!

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I have to admit, based on your screen name... I thought you were going to say you're off to steal one tomorrow.

Congrats, that must be extremely exciting!!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
BB,

Congrats!

When we bought our 28' CCD earlier this year, the dealer suggested that we (me) stay in it overnight at their facility. They have full hookups for 5 or 6 units. If yours offers this, I'd highly recommend taking advantage of it.

When I got there, the trailer was in the service department where it had been cleaned an waxed. A technician showed me how to use the various appliances, water pump, etc. I was asked to look over the trailer and note anything that needed addressing while it was in their service area. I found a few minor problems and they were fixed immediately. The trailer was towed out to a pad and I was shown how to use the jack, leveling jacks, hookup electricity, water, sewer, etc.

That night, as I stayed in the trailer, I looked for any problems and tried to test every thing possible. Anything mechanical or anything that opens/closes was tested. I found a few windows that were difficult to open and needed 'tweaking'.

The next morning, a technician either explained how something worked or fixed what didn't. He then showed me how to dump the tanks, etc and get it ready for traveling.

Since it was February, he also winterized it and explained to me how to at the same time.

Another gentleman showed me how to hook the trailer to the hitch, and then did a test drive with me in my vehicle and showed how the brake controller worked and adjusted. He then had me drive and get a feel for towing the trailer. We then went back to the dealership and he had me practice backing up on to one of the pads, unhooking, etc.

It was time well spent and very educational for a newbie.

I feel that having the opportunity to 'field test' the trailer while still at the dealership saved both of us time and the hassle and expense of hauling back and forth.

Again, congratulations and good luck!

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Newbee 2 Newbee:

IMHO:
Make sure there are metal valve stems in the wheels/tires.

I don't know if CCD's come with spares, but with a single-axle get one!

Have the dealer show you how to lower & raise the awning, then you do it yourself while being watched...that's what worked for me, but I didn't figure that out until after our 1st trip!

They will go through a check list with you for all the systems.

It has been my experience that A/S will stand behind the trailer for most anything afterwards, 2 yr warranty. We've had some minor 'stuff' but have always been satisfied with their response. (The selling dealer, another dealer, & J.C. itself) I still would do a complete exterior inspection for any scratches, dings, etc. including the wrap on the bottom. Any, even minor, physical damage after you leave the lot can turn into an arduous battle.

Most of all prepare to be even more excited than you are now....ENJOY, after 9 months we're still thrilled with our newbee .
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Kevin---The other posts have pretty well covered everything except physical damage. These items ARE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY !!! If you get home and find dents, scratches, under body damage , etc you've bought it ! Look it over carefully bottom top and inside. If there is something that can't be repaired at delivery be sure to have the dealer note and sign it on the contract. Even with close inspection you'll likly have a few little things that need attention after you use it a time or two. Airstream is good about taking care of anything that's warrantable. Shipping or lot damage is the dealers responsibilty.----Pieman
"It doesn't cost anymore to go first class, you just can't stay as long"
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
....Can anyone offer some pointers on what to look for and check on a general final inspection prior to accepting the AS
Kevin:

Be sure to read THIS THREAD:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=video+walk

Do the video.

Luck

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Window gaskets

I have had some trouble with rubber window gaskets not being glued strong enough around the curves. I'm not sure if it is a lack of adhesive or just one of those things that will always happen.

Just open the windows and make sure the gaskets are glued well.

Otherwise all is perfect with mine.

Andy
Old 11-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

We are on our way to the dealership for the walk through on our new Bambi CCD. I can hardly sit still. Thanks so much for all your information. I knew if I looked, you'd have answers to my questions. I've printed some of these pages to read on our way over to the dealership!!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Also look at this thread Quality Problems. You will see many photos of quality problems, which will give you ideas on what to look for.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Call your insurance agent. The minute you sign the papers you own the Bambi.

"If the women don’t find you handsome, they better find you handy.” Red Green.
TheLuvShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuvShack
Call your insurance agent. The minute you sign the papers you own the Bambi.
Great advice - if you badly damage a skin on the way home, you are out the big bucks to replace it.

Even if you are experienced with trailers, accidents happen. Get the insurance.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:47 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Help!

We just got back from the dealership with our Bambi after almost 6 hours. Just as we signed the paperwork and thought we were about to leave, the tech came up with the trailer and truck. He said there was a problem with the brake system. After a couple of hours more, they determined that apparently the brake wires had been pinched during installation. They made a temp fix and allowed us to leave today but we have to return to the dealership next week so they can remove the bottom of the trailer and repair the brake wire. My questions are:
1. It looked like they drilled into the underside of the trailer - isn't the fact that the bottom of the trailer is enclosed suppose to be one of the quality factors of an A/S? Did they harm the trailer by drilling holes in the underside?
2. After they remove the underside to repair, will it damage the quality of the trailer?
Old 11-06-2004, 05:07 AM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Melissa,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry I missed your earlier posts.

While removing and reinstalling the underside of the trailer seems to be a big deal it is designed to be done. The stuff that is over the bottom sheet will need service. So it has to be removed depending on the task. The hole, if they drilled it is not a big deal either. There are many holes in the underside, there has to be to allow moisture that enters the belly pan to get out. Otherwise you would have a moldy mess.

If you unit is goable please feel free to join us at blue springs rally next weekend. We are having a forum rally their and would love to meet you and your new trailer. Blue springs rally
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thank you so much for your info. We were in a panic about buying a new trailer and it needing so much repair before we got it off the lot.

We went out to Ft. Desoto the day after picking it up for our first camping expereince in our adult lives. We had a wonderful time and fell completely head over heels in love with our Bambi. We were the only A/S in the park but did see a little silver tear drop pulled by a little silver vw bug. Later today we are taking the Bambi back to the dealership for the needed repairs.

We'd love to meet you all at Blue Springs but have to make a quick trip to Louisville, KY to close on a house. Darn it! Not sure the Bambi would be out of the hospital by then anyway. The dealership has been swamped with getting trailers ready for FEMA for hurricane victims.

Thank you again.

Melissa
Old 06-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #15

19' ccd inquiry

Kevin - how is your trailer treating you?
We are very close to purchasing a 2005 19' ccd - we are also considering the 25' but would have to purchase a different vehicle to tow it. We're planning to use it at a campground this summer - not much towing involved - but I am still waivering on the size of the 19' vs. 25'. Any comments and opinions are appreciated!
Thanks!
44bullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #16
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Consider the 25'

We upgraded from a 19' to a 25' after 9 months. You won't regret the decision. It is just my wife / me and 2 guinea pigs and we really like the extra space. We had no towing experience when we bought our first Airstream and felt that we would be better off with a smaller trailer. It turns out the 25' handles as well if not better. The 19' is cute and lots of fun but the extra space and appliances are really nice. There are many here on the forum who did the same thing. If you have the resources I would seriously consider the larger trailer. One thing that might send my decision the other way (19') is if I were planning on spending a lot of time in more rustic settings where a smaller trailer may fit in spaces better. Either way you go I think you still win... We've had an Airstream for 2 years now and love it!
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
We upgraded from a 19' to a 25' after 9 months. You won't regret the decision. It is just my wife / me and 2 guinea pigs and we really like the extra space. We had no towing experience when we bought our first Airstream and felt that we would be better off with a smaller trailer. It turns out the 25' handles as well if not better. The 19' is cute and lots of fun but the extra space and appliances are really nice. There are many here on the forum who did the same thing. If you have the resources I would seriously consider the larger trailer. One thing that might send my decision the other way (19') is if I were planning on spending a lot of time in more rustic settings where a smaller trailer may fit in spaces better. Either way you go I think you still win... We've had an Airstream for 2 years now and love it!
We did the same thing, even though we went the vintage route, we went from a 20' to a 26' unit. What it means, is you have a larger living area, larger sleeping area, more storage, more and larger appliances. Oh, and a somewhat larger bathroom, too. Add to that the fact it tows much more smoothly with two axles, and more weight. It is also easier to back into a parking spot than the shorter trailer.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Kevin - how is your trailer treating you?
We are very close to purchasing a 2005 19' ccd - we are also considering the 25' but would have to purchase a different vehicle to tow it. We're planning to use it at a campground this summer - not much towing involved - but I am still waivering on the size of the 19' vs. 25'. Any comments and opinions are appreciated!
Thanks!

44bullock,

As a matter of fact, as others have also done, we are also looking to upgrade. I'm not sure how much time you plan to spend in your A/S (we thought only the occasional weekend for us) so we got the 19'. In retrospect, we should have gotten the 25. The trailer will be going up for sale soon....

We're looking for a 25, or a classic MH. Wife loves the "look" of the CCD, but the appeal of redoing the interior of a older MH is knawing on me...

So, If you plan to spend more than just a few nights here and there, and have the space to store it and $ to do it, I'd go with the 25. The 19 is good too, great to get in and out of spots, easy to pull though any big urban city too...

Rgds

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Love the 25'

We have had our 25' CCD for a bit over 1.5 years now, and we have been so pleased with it. The only complaint that matters is not being able to use it more often. The little ones are things like the holding tank moniter not being correct on the black water tank. It's not hard to figure out when it is getting full!

Camp often, and enjoy!

Andy
Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
the awful truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfuson
.....holding tank moniter not correct on the black water tank. It's not hard to figure out when it is getting full! Andy
Well... here's the way we do it without monitors:

Step 1. Look in "the hole". If level looks high - dump.
Step 2. If floor inside bathroom is wet and smells questionable you have failed to execute step 1 correctly - Clean trailer. Aargh!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote