Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2002, 08:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
The beach!

Does anyone have experience with the effects of oceanfront camping in their Airstream or Argosy? I have not taken mine to the beach yet but the park I stay at has the relentless constant salt breeze blowing in which is to be expected. Probably a week or less is all I will stay at a time. I took a new sob trailer their once and it did o.k. but it was a smooth side fiberglas unit. It did get corrosion on all the exposed steel though, jacks, tongue, bumper, etc. I suspect salt air and water will eat aluminum??
Old 11-15-2002, 08:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I have spent about 100 days in the last two years at the beach and have not seen any ill effects on my Safari. I do wash it as soon as I get it home and make sure I get the salt off the axles and frame.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Also remember Argosy has galvanized steel caps front and rear. On my mh there was rust in areas, especially near the seams. These are hard to wash unless you get on the roof.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:23 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Corpus Christi

I work in CC often and i get down to the beach to check out the AS's.

The salt water definitely takes it's toll on an AS.

I guess if you were just staying for short trips you would be okay but south Texas is the only place I have ever been that has drive thru "Spray Sations" at the base of most bridges and near beachside camp grounds.

This tells me that South Texans are very aware of the damage that salt water can inflict on their vehicles.

Surfs Up!

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:36 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
My trailer lived at the beach in California for a long time. No unusual problems, at least none that I can find.
California typically has a very dry climate, while Southern states typically have extreme humidity. I would think that salt spray together with high relative hunmidity can do damage to metal more efficiently than salty air with very little humidity. I can tell by the condition of my cars as well. We have lived near the beach off and on and never had problrms with rust, giving only normal care to our cars.

I do, however, wash my van and trailer very well when coming back from trips to the Sea of Cortez. We camp right on the sand there, with the sea being 30ft away..... I noticed that there is always a film of sorts on it after going to humid places. And it takes more than hosing it down, I get into all the cracks, and especially the undercarriage.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:36 PM   #6
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
We spend two to three weeks at the beach every month.

Watch for the following:

A) If you get heavy wind, especially big gusts, the pilot lite for the hot water heater blows out. Rig some sort of shield for it that stand out about 6 inches from the side of the trailer.

B) Salt in the rain checks the finish. Ours looks like a major snow storm hit the trailer and never melted. I suggest you make sure your finish is well sealled and updated with a coat of good finish.

C.) Woven Nylon rugs to keep the sand down and out of the trailer are really handy. I bought mine at and oriental store for about $24 apiece. Make sure you have some long stakes with good sized tops to stake it down or come the first storm you will be looking for them.

D.) Moisture problems and humidity are biggie problems at the beach. So far we haven't solved the problem by doing anything but cranking up the furnace and drying out every now and then. Driz-aire is sort of ok, but not sufficient for the AS space. We are looking into a gizzmo called a Closetmate that drys the air.
It is supposed to dry up 1,000 cu. ft. If anyone knows about this electric air dryer I would love to hear about it.

E.) The radio antenna has held up in all form of storms.

F) We think the upper edges of the top windws, the long oblong ovals, are leaking. Check your caulking before your take her to the beach.

G.) We rigged a little extra strap to hold on to the door when we open it in the wind. Otherwise the wind can catch it as you step out and really bang the dickens out of it.

Good luck. Joan
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote