Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Texas dealership

Traveling in Texas and wondering if anyone had a suggestion for warranty work.Thank you
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Bob Jones RV in Houston

Bob Jones RV close to Hobby airport in SE Houston does first class work.

Be sure to book in advance.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
It might be slim pickings. ExploreUSA which was the state's largest group of dealers is no longer a dealer. Not sure if any are still authorized to do warranty work.

North Dallas RV may have been in the past, and may still be, but most anectodal information on here is that you might grow old waiting just to have work started.

You could look at Camper Clinic II but read reviews on here before you go.

Wish I could offer better suggestions.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Vogt RV in Fort Worth is a new Airstream dealer. They are an established stick trailer dealership in the area, I've never dealt with them but they have an indoor showroom and maintenance facilities. I hope they sent a technician out for Airstream training when they became a dealer, there is more to just selling. I walked through a couple of AS a few weeks ago and I wasn't given the impression the salesman new much about AS. All trailers were marked with MSRP and no deals. No used ASs available yet.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Camper Clinic has no AS parts and has to order everything from Jackson Center. Ask me how I know.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
Texas RV Supply in San Antonio does excellent work on airstreams. They are not an airstream dealer but they have lots of experience working on airstreams. Their service manager's name is Tony. I have had my 30 foot Classic worked on there several times and have been very happy with their work.
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
Texas RV Supply in San Antonio does excellent work on airstreams. They are not an airstream dealer but they have lots of experience working on airstreams. Their service manager's name is Tony. I have had my 30 foot Classic worked on there several times and have been very happy with their work.
Ummm, I believe the OP asked about getting warranty work.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Ummm, I believe the OP asked about getting warranty work.
It is possible to get warranty work done at a non Airstream dealer/shop. Whether or not you want to do that is another story.

Call Airstream in Ohio and ask.

The only difference between an Airstream and most other travel trailers is the curved aluminum panels.
dboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
dboehmer -> Although I personally have not had to have warranty work done at a non-dealer site, it is unlikely that AS is would make direct payment to the non-dealer shop providing the service; this means that the OP would have to make payment first and then go through a claim process with AS. Naturally, this would have to have been pre-authorized and emergency service, or AS will not want to reimburse.

While I take no issue with the shop you are recommending - they may do excellent work - the actual process of having AS cover the cost may not go smoothly. The OP would be advised to first call AS for pre-authorization. If the work is not of an emergency nature, AS may direct the OP to a dealer. Failure to follow the protocol would leave the OP unhappy and out of pocket for the costs.

As for the difference between the AS and SOB's, having had both I can tell you that there are considerable differences - for one thing, SOB's are assembled from the inside out (all cabinetry and appliances are first put in place and then the walls and roof are installed) whereas AS's are assembled outside first and everything inside is brought in through the door. If you have not already done so, consider visiting Jackson Center and taking the factory tour. Remember, as well, that the AS is built aircraft style with curved walls, whereas SOB's are mostly a stick construction (possibly with straight aluminum or steel framing). As well, SOB's do not make extensive use of aircraft-style rivtting, whereas AS's have bucked rivets and some blind rivets such as Olympic and pop rivets - the average RV repair shop is not equipped or knowledgeable about riveting techniques.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You could always continue along the beautiful Gulf and visit Airstream of Mississippi in Gulfport.

Not too far for great folks and great service.

Maggie
Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Bayer Motor Company, Inc., Comanche, TX is an Airstream dealer with an excellent shop and crew. I can recommend them highly from personal experience of late. Call Steve Wood at 1-800-843 5230. We purchased our '04 Classic 30' S/O from Steve and had it in for emergency A/C repair while on the road last season. Excellent to work with, fast, fair and friendly with a good supply of Airstream parts. Give him a call if you plan on travel in that part of Texas. I highly recommend him and would go out of my way to avoid a non-Airstream dealer if I were you.