Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Tell me it isn't so!

Maybe this is a rhetorical question. Are all Airstreams destined to leak, have rotten floors, have frame detoriation etc even with preventative maintenance?

Can a good dealer's annual inspection/maintenance program keep these issues at bay?

This forum represents a subset of all the Airstream units out there in operational condition of one kind or another. There seems to be a constant stream of repair issues on this forum.

I would hope that every unit is NOT destined to become a huge sink hole for repairs if properly looked after.

Your experiences.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Okay - it isn't so. The thing most of the problematic units have in common? They're old.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Jenaz, Switzerland , Graubunden
I have a 62 model..looking great!
Uppla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Living in Apache Jct. will help a lot! Not a lot of rain - or road salt in them parts!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If you keep up properly, ;minimal issues. Now, proper in my eyes will be different to yours. Sealing, replacing / upgrading parts as they inevitably fail, you probably will never wear it out.
AS resemble any significant investment.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If it has windows, doors, vents, air conditioning, plumbing, or seams. It will leak somewhere, sometime, someday.
Storing it under roof helps significantly.
Some have new trailers that leak, most old trailers leak. Somewhere.
I have not been able to figure out why the ENGINEERS (if there are any) at A$ can't or won't come up with a composite floor material along with a design that would incorporate drains between the inner and outer skin. Thus allowing the water to drain out the bottom of the trailer instead of out onto or into the floor.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Your car, your house, your lawn mower..... nothing ever broke or needed maintenance?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Airstreams are like anything else you own ; if you use it you have to maintain it. Ours is now 50 years old and in great shape. For me working on it is a pleasure and a great source of pride.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If it has windows, doors, vents, air conditioning, plumbing, or seams. It will leak somewhere, sometime, someday.
Storing it under roof helps significantly.
Some have new trailers that leak, most old trailers leak. Somewhere.
I have not been able to figure out why the ENGINEERS (if there are any) at A$ can't or won't come up with a composite floor material along with a design that would incorporate drains between the inner and outer skin. Thus allowing the water to drain out the bottom of the trailer instead of out onto or into the floor.
I believe this is the same as the age old pantyhose theory...why can't they make them not to run...they probably can but then you wouldn't buy any anymore.

they probably have figured out a way to drain between the floors but then you wouldn't spend money at the repairshop.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I have said this before...
it has 3200 holes in it...(or more)
you think it won't leak ever...
maintenance is the key word here.
Same as a ship or airplane...
maintenance!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have a boat but am new new RVing. I just bought a new Cloud 25'er and I am going into it assuming that it will have many of the same problems as a boat. Many of the systems are quite similar. The key of course is to maintain a vigilant eye and not to neglect or put off maintenance or repairs.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
I remember the first time I saw water drizzling down the wall under a window about 3 months after we bought our AS. I felt ill. And Mr. Mod gave me a look that said "What have you gotten us into with this trailer?'
Then the good people on this forum informed me that all trailers leak.
About 6 months after that, we were in a major down pour and had water dripping in from light fixtures, the hood vent, etc. It was so bad, we just laughed (after we shut off the lights).
We finally got around to resealing the exterior after that trip.
As fantastic as Airstreams are, there is perfection in nothing. Maintenance is key.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
It happens, but not as often as house items as I have been through two refrigerators and two washers in six years, where as the 42 year old Airstream has cost me only a hot water heater and vista windows due to wear and tear. Not a bad comparison.

The other items have been due to acts of nature, high winds, tree limbs or hail. Still running the original refer, stove, and oven.

Does it leak, only where I repaired it with new replacement panels but they eventually sealed themselves.

Its all good.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Inspection and maintenance is the ticket, and it's easy to do. (I'm not sure a dealer would be thorough enough, maybe if you told them specifically what you need.) This is what I believe a new(er) Airstream needs, in a nutshell:

Set up a quarterly inspection and maintenance schedule to look for leaks, corrosion, or anything not working properly. Use a moisture detection meter to probe the edges of the vinyl floor to see if their is moisture leaking into the plywood subfloor. Promptly fix any leaks found.

Treat the cut metal edges, drilled rivet holes, and exterior fittings as soon as you get it home with a preventive such as CorrosionX, then at least annually after that. Spray the steel underbody components with a product such as Boeshield T9 which will leave a protective paraffin wax coating. The more you use it near salt water or winter road salt, the more you need to wash it and treat it for corrosion. You still may get some, but it can be kept under control. Carefully clean any corrosion off and touch up the area with clear coat.

Best to store it in a shed, but if you can't, use a UV protective spray on the external rubber and plastics. Keep it clean, food removed when not in use to discourage mice and insects. Keep the storage tanks clean when stored.

Switz, of course you know that your Southwest desert location almost guarantees a long life if you can protect the exterior finish, plastics, seals and sealants from sun damage. And keep the interior heat from baking everything to a crisp in the summer.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
As fantastic as Airstreams are, there is perfection in nothing. Maintenance is key.
This, and the fact that people don't seek out the forum to report "My trailer has not leaked in years. I feel so left out."

People with trailer problems have more reasons to start a forum thread, so the problems are over represented.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I think if you have an experienced Airstream owner and a top notch mechanic that KNOWS Airstreams you would have a good chance on minimizing many of the headaches along the way. I know my 1975 had at least 3 owners, the last one was clueless on how to maintain an AS. They kept it at a campground at the beach and stored it down there too. Most of their "repairs" involved large quantities of silicone caulk and dry wall screws. Eventually I will get rid of all of them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Hello,
We have a new 2013 28' Flying Cloud, and my husband and I want to make sure we do everything we can to make it always look the best it can be.

Can someone give me some quick tips on how to use the two products mentioned here? Boeshield and CorrosionX.

Are both products needed? If so, which is used where?

How does one go about "spraying the underside" of an Airstream? Is there room under there to spray it?

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you!!
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Bellevue , Washington
Did you reseal it your selves? How? Lessons learned?
SheilaMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #19

Lebanon , Ohio
We are new owners of a used ('08) 19' Safari Bambi, and wondering how do you run the heat from gas to electric? Does it automatically flip?
Also, about the battery disconnect switch, the light stays on if it's pressed for either "use" or "store". Is this normal?
We are trying to reach the people we bought the unit from, but can't reach them yet. Maybe someone in this forum can answer me?
beckster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
time2play...my wife and I will get our new unit in less than 6 weeks now :O

Others on here had also advised about anti-corrosion methods....that thread is LONG, I spents about 3 years reading through it all (well, not quite that long) and it helped...

Folks told me the boeshield T9 product is sprayed only for the underbelly...it goes on and forms a very wasy cover...

The corrosion X product you put on any area that was cut or penetrated by JC....all seams, rivents, on metal parts....I *THINK* - it pretty much sprays on (doesnt take much I hear) then wiped off (what do you all use to wipe it off btw?)

We will be going to the beach 1-4 times per year so when I go I will likely be obscessive about rinsing with freshwater while there and applying these treatments

------

I told my wife that I will simply have to assume that I WILL have various problems despite our best efforts....this to not be too upset when the leaks or whatever happen...

It looks more and more like I will have to wait to have the pole barn built till spring...no biggie though...definately want it though....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote