Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
some have also advised buying a clear coat product and applying it using a small brush to edges that were cut from day 1...seems a reasonable thought in my view.

I have yet to buy a moisture detector...need to though in prep

In reading the leaking and floor rot horror stories...you just DONT want to be the new owner that never catches the presence of the moisture and then find the rot months or soon after the 2 yr warranty expires :/

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #22
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Okay - it isn't so. The thing most of the problematic units have in common? They're old.
After reading this board that theory won't hold water either....new ones seem to leak the worst.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #23
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckster53 View Post
Maybe someone in this forum can answer me?
Ask your question in the proper section and I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #24
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
time2play...my wife and I will get our new unit in less than 6 weeks now :O
Wanna bet it leaks ?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It is a "relationship".

Trade out/up within a month of warranty expiration...? Nah.. That's for some, not most here.

When it leaks, have it fixed or learn to do it yourself...

In my 1999 there were leaks. I fixed. The toughest was repair of floor with some marine epoxy. The leak was on roof seam, curbside front. Window and door gaskets expired.. Barely flex.

After repair?

I have 6 months, 5500 miles, 800+ in rain without leak reappearing.

Yours will leak.. It won't sink or rot with proper action on your part.

You can do this...

Of course, I prefer fixing broken to just replacing... In life, relationships...some things are worth the effort.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A calendar schedule is the long term way to go. New owner enthusiasm fades for us all . . and keeping it under cover trumps any other approach so as to make the laborious work almost beside the point. Yes, it may leak (corrode, etc), but the damages -- if any -- will be caught early (calendar) and without much overall work (due to cover) in the years ahead.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post

After reading this board that theory won't hold water either....new ones seem to leak the worst.
I've never chimed in on the leak problem because my 2012 purchased new doesn't have them. That's part of the challenge when sifting through forums like this. I personally am more inclined to share a problem to work on a solution than I am to repeatedly say "still love my trailer" (which I do) or "still not leaking" (which it isn't). I have no way of knowing whether that tendency holds true for any, some, most, all forum members but let's at least acknowledge that the complaints aren't meant to be a statistically valid source of data :-)

Having said that, when you ARE the statistic, whether that happens to 0.01% or 99.9% of all owners, it's a big deal and needs to be addressed.

Life is messy and imperfect. Buying new gives you 2 years of warranty time to address leaks and any other defects (if you have them). Eventually, they all get older and - if we're fortunate - receive a pounding from all those miles we get to put on them :-) ... then it's a full on maintenance opportunity :-)

Could AS do better? Who couldn't? It's counterintuitive but improving quality could actually enable them to LOWER overall costs (waste, rework, warranty repairs, time addressing dissatisfied customers, etc.) which in turn could potentially lower PRICES and increase SALES (price sensitivity/supply & demand) and PROFITS. It's not quite this simplistic, but Toyota listened to Demming and at one point became larger than GM (who together with the other 2 didn't understand the point he was making). And those units AS sold to China? Watch out! South Korea (Hyundai) leapfrogged years of R&D and experience and eventually produced a VERY compelling product rivaling the Big 4 (including Toyota) in quality for a lower price and better warranty that their customers don't need to invoke as much!

Well enough of the junior MBA class on stats, marketing and economics :-). I'm still loving my trailer which thankfully isn't leaking yet and am genuinely sorry for those whose experience isn't that good. Frustrating that it isn't more consistent across the board...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckster53 View Post
We are new owners of a used ('08) 19' Safari Bambi, and wondering how do you run the heat from gas to electric? Does it automatically flip?
Also, about the battery disconnect switch, the light stays on if it's pressed for either "use" or "store". Is this normal?
We are trying to reach the people we bought the unit from, but can't reach them yet. Maybe someone in this forum can answer me?
Hey Beckster53 - this is a bit of a hijack of the original intent of the question about leaks so a very quick response...

If by gas to electric heat you mean heating via propane vs heating with the air consitioner's heat exchanger, that is not an automatic switchover. If you're plugged in to shore power AND have propane, you can choose either option by selecting it from the thermostat panel.

Re: the use/store light - it's confusing but yes, it's normal if you're plugged in to shore power. If you're not plugged in and switch it to store, the light will go off.

Did you get a manual with the trailer? If not, try the Airstream website to download one. Then here in the forums, try to search for existing threads that may have already addressed your question. You may find a lot of helpful info and see answers to questions before you post them. That's the reason why I mentioned this is a bit of a "hijack" of the intent of the leak question. 10 years from now when someone searches for "leak" this discussion won't help them :-)

Hopefully it's of some help to you now. Good luck!

Now back to the thread :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Here's an option. I think Airstream ought to make a 4 inch port on the side or bottom of the unit. Then, you get one of those bouncy castle blowers and hook that up and run it 24/7. That puts positive pressure on the trailer so that if it does rain, any cracks constantly blow air out of the seams so there is no way that water can penetrate.

I think a cover will go a long, long way to keeping the trailer in good shape. My trailer had to have been covered, and though he was a terrible painter, the PO of my 64 seems to have painted all the metal surfaces with aluminum fence paint. I think that saved a lot of my trailer from suffering damage that others have. Maintenance is key. I use Boeshield on my tools. Keep in mind that some products work perfectly, but aren't necessarily designed for UV exposure. Por15 is a good example. That stuff is amazing as long as the sun never hits it.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
I have a 70 land yacht. My uncle had it before I acquired it. I pulled the carpet, original subfloor looking new with only 2 spots, smaller than 12 inches that need replaced. the seal had broken down on one of the windows and leaked between the skin, not showing obvious damage, and only the top wood barrier, and at the door, the step had rusted out and the somehow water leaked there. I am amazed at the condition of this dream come true. My husband is a builder, and our roof leaks, lol, and the house is less than 10 years old. My only wish is I had a Bambi instead of a 30 footer, but I wouldnt trade this gift for anything. Leaks can be fixed, the memories in these babys last a lifetime
theboyzmaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboyzmaid View Post
I have a 70 land yacht. ........ My only wish is I had a Bambi instead of a 30 footer, but I wouldnt trade this gift for anything. Leaks can be fixed, the memories in these babys last a lifetime
Wow! Congratulations on recognizing the GIFT!!!!

I used "Git-rot" which is a thin epoxy you inject into dry wood. It fills cavities and absorbs into wood. It cures vet hard. You can fix a lot of wood problems with it..... If it fails, then do the replacement.

The rusted parts, that's different... Gotta fix.

Anyway, wish you and "da Boyz" another lifetime of joy and memories...

Peace and blessings
Channing and Phyllis
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #32

Lebanon , Ohio
Where's the proper section? I am new to this whole forum computer thing. BTW thank you for telling me this.
beckster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #33
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Try starting a thread in Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning