Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Tambour trim and trim

Please excuse the trim and trim title since I am not sure of the correct specs. We are in the process of refinishing our 75 Sovereign and have decided to keep it as much as we can "original".
A couple of our tambour cabinets need to be replaced due to warping. They are also missing the plastic pieces on the top and bottom. I have talked to Inland RV about this but apparently I have not related the correct terminology.
Also, we are in need of this original trim. The one that goes on the outside of the drape track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8212 049.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	164613   Click image for larger version

Name:	8212 045.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	164614  

WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Out of Doors Mart may have the tambour door material (it is expensive btw) and maybe the plastic parts you need. However, I am not clear just what plastic you are referring to.

The original trim is available in white only. Inland RV had it and probably Out of Doors Mart too. About a buck a foot, kinda pricey. You can make your own from either Formica or cut down vertical venetian blind slats and it will look great. Blind slats from your local blind dealer.

BTW, the old banana yellow color of the trim was not original, but a result of sunshine and UV damage. The trim was a slightly off white to begin with and looks much much better that way. If you have old banana yellow end caps or AC parts, or the refrigerator vent, they paint very well with Krylon Fusion Paint for Plastics, Satin white. You can get it or order it at places like ACE hardware. Satin, not gloss is best.

I don't know if you have any chocolate brown cabinet handles, but if you do, and hey have turned to a kind of frosted old chocolate color, they can be repainted with Krylon Fusion paint for plastics, gloss brown, available most easily at Wal Mart.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Your first photo looks like the tambour pull and it looks to be intact. Not sure what the exact issue is, but perhaps some additional photographs would help. There are several components associated with the tambour assembly. The pulls. The slatted fabric that is attached to the pulls. The tracks and the plastic scroll cases that the tambour winds into when opened. Are the tambours warped and in need of replacing?

The second photo shows the curtain valence vinyl insert. I destroyed a similar one last night while removing the center bath cabinet. They turn brittle with age (I can relate ).

Tambour material is available. I don't know about the vinyl inserts, but I would think that a suitable replacement could be easily found.

Good luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Thanks for the replies. The picture of the tambour is of the bottom "clip"?? that is still attached. We are missing the top clips on 2 cabinets that holds the tambour pull to the tambour. We only have one cabinet where the tambour is warped and are looking at replacing it. I have it pulled all the way back thinking that maybe it will possibly straighten back out.
Looks like I will go hunting for a vinyl insert replacement...
WBCCI #8578
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
the valence trim can be bought at out of doormart. i got mine in last week and it worked great.
Part: is below and sells for a dollar a foot, worked great.

Plastic White Nose Insert 200035

200035 Plastic White Nose Insert This is the plastic insert that covers up the space where rivets hold cabinets and shelves together.
Viper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
the valence trim can be bought at out of doormart. i got mine in last week and it worked great.

200035 Plastic White Nose Insert This is the plastic insert that covers up the space where rivets hold cabinets and shelves together.
That is the same insert I bought for my 75 TW. I used it in the living area as well as the bathroom. It really made a difference in the look of my trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post

Thanks so much for the lead on the trim! Appreciate it much.
WBCCI #8578