Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Taking out the center nightstand in 1990 Excella

The twins have to go and I've got a queen foam mattress on the way. I have a few ideas on removing the twin mattress and supporting the queen, but I'm just not sure on removing the nightstand

If there is a thread on this somewhere please point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for any wisdom or advice on removing the center nightstand in my 1990 Excella. It looks like there are a few screws around the outer edges of the stand and possibly a nut in the back of the drawer that allows me to remove the drawer.

Attached, if I did it right, is a picture of the nightstand...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	208781  
Jlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Mine was screwed into the back wall and the floor. You will have to figure how to get the draws out then start looking for screws. The top may have a bead of silicon at the wall that you will have to cut with a thin sharp blade.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
Mine was screwed into the back wall and the floor. You will have to figure how to get the draws out then start looking for screws. The top may have a bead of silicon at the wall that you will have to cut with a thin sharp blade.
Thank you. I've tried unscrewing the rounded nut in the back of the drawer and it turns, but doesn't seem to be unscrewing...
Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Reach under the drawer, pulling it all the way out. Feel the lever in the center of the slide underneath. Push the lever while pulling the drawer ever so gently. Then the drawer will release. Take out all the drawers. Then look for the screws holding the nightstand in. We had the furniture in our 1989 in and out many times.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Reach under the drawer, pulling it all the way out. Feel the lever in the center of the slide underneath. Push the lever while pulling the drawer ever so gently. Then the drawer will release. Take out all the drawers. Then look for the screws holding the nightstand in. We had the furniture in our 1989 in and out many times.
That was it! Thank you very much! I'm glad I waited and didn't destroy the drawer trying to get it out.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
You're welcome! k
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bogalusa , Louisiana
Interested in your twin beds and night stand.
tbreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

I've done this....

We took out the twins and used the supports for the new queen. I had the queen made with two opposing round curves. One of the curves is for the back as you would expect. The other curve is diagonally opposite and is for two purposes. 1. for flipping the bed around for wear 2. for ease of passing by the corner on the walk thru side.

So now we have a north/south bed that leaves a couple feet on the curb side for use. That is divided into a walk space on the curb side of the bed and the rest on the wall is for cabinets.

I took the nitestand the op is asking about and chopped off the back end. This included shortening the drawers. So the nite stand is now turned at a right angle facing the bed with space to pull out the drawers.

Under the window and next to the hanging closet is a seat with cushion. Under the hanging closet is a new 3 shelf for extra whatever. There is no door on this shelf and it is shorter (and tucked under) the hanging closet.

This actually works out very well for us as the 12" innerspring mattress is VERY comfortable and serves as an excellent place to watch movies on a 22" flat screen that is folded above the seat mounted on the side of the hanging closet.

Hope that helps visualize the setup.

Steve in Sav'h
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote