Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Tail Light Bezel for the 100th time

This has no doubt been covered before, but...The aluminum bezel around my tail lights have problems with the clear coat. The coating is lifting from the aluminum. Can somebody give me a tip on how to take them off and polish them and then re-coating them? Here's a photo.

Thanks, Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	90894  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sorry that your housings are looking so bad. I was thinking, that if mine get worse, that I would take them off and have a chrome shop buff them out and spray clear coat on them myself. I believe that there are only four screws, two on each side and some sealer around the top and sides holding them on. Also an anodizing shop can buff them out and maybe apply a clear anodized coating on them. Mine have it too, but it doesn't show very well in the pictures. The picture on the left shows the plastic bezels looking bad and the picture on the right shows the plainer stainless steel bezels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443 (Large).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	90897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880 (Large).JPG
Views:	168
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	90898  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
I had the same problem with mine on my Safari. Are you sure that it is just a clear coat problem? I cannot be sure from the photo, but it appears that you have filiform corrosion on the surfaces. Regardless, I refurbed mine by removing them, then buffed them with a light sanding compound on a buffing wheel to remove the corrosion. Once all was smooth, I polished them back to their original semi-gloss finish and finally coated them with clear lacquer. Start to finish it was a 5-6 hour job.

Removing the corrosion and trying to blend the surfaces (the corrosion pits the areas) was the time consuming part. Once finished, they look pretty good.