Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Switch Guard - Water Heater

The winterized water heater on our first Airstream burned out because either my bride or I turned on the switch when we meant to turn on the bathroom light. The two switch panels are beside one another.

As a minor winter project for our new Airstream, I am making a plexiglass safety plate to go over the water heater switch panel and protect it from inadvertently turning it on. Just a simple box frame to go around the switch plate, with a hinged plexiglass lid for access to the switches (gas and elec). I will mount it to the wall using some of the 3M adhesive strips, so no holes are required, and it can be cleanly removed if desired.

If anyone has a better idea, feel free to send me a note.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
You might want to look at Newark.
R171000AAA - ARCOLECTRIC SWITCHES - GUARD, 3900 SERIES METAL LEVER | Newark

Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I Share Your Pain

I/we have the same challenge.
Let's see pictures when you have finished your fabrication.
Thanks!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Ken, it won't be anything really fancy. Just a hardwood box to go around the switch plate, a hinged plexiglass cover to get to the switches. If you beat me to building one, post yours.

Steve
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
If you have an Atwood gas or gas/electric water heater, the only source of power to the board is the 12v line that feeds the switch(es). If you pull the fuse for that circuit the water heater won't start. Tape the fuse to a bypass valve and that will remind you to put it back when you fill the WH come Spring. The trick is identifying which fuse feeds the WH.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Thanks Silver Goose. I may do that instead.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A simple solution might be this: Get a piece of stiff, heavy-gauge wire (a piece of cheap wire coat hanger will work, I think). Bend it to shape so that it will go over the switch, with just enough room to reach your finger under it to flip the switch. Secure it top and bottom, aligned dead center over the switch you want to protect.

That way, when fumbling for the light switch, your hand will hit the wire and not the protected switch, but when you want to turn the water heater on or off, you can.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
OK, I just figured out how to post a photo in a thread. Now, if I can just figure out how to create a public album.

Here's a shot of my switch guard. It's just a plexiglass box, hinged to a strip of alder wood. I used the 3m photo hangers to attach it to the wall. Nothing fancy, but hopefully... never again will there be a burned out water heater due to the switch being thrown on a winterized unit, while trying to turn on the bathroom light.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Excellent idea - I might do something similar.

Although, you might want to check the specs on heater elements in the newer trailers.

Reason i say this is that I, like you made the mistake of inadvertently switching on the heater element with no water in the tank. It was on for hours before I discovered it.

When I did, my first reaction was that through my stupidity I had burned the element out. But I got checking the details of the heater - I forget if it was in my manual or on the internet - and I read that the newer design elements were much more forgiving in this respect.

Sure enough, next time we had water in the tank and I switched on the electric element it still worked!

Not something you really want to test though, i still think your idea is good!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
If anyone has a better idea, feel free to send me a note.
If I'm staying in a winterized trailer I pull the 120v breaker for the electric side of the water heater, and shut off the manual knob on the gas valve.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
When camping, I've switched the water heater off inadvertently before now but as we only have the propane model there's not much harm done. I stand something front of the heater switch and that's usually enough to make sure I hit the correct one. It is annoying, though, so maybe I'll be looking at the home made cover, too.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks for this thread. I don't understand WHY this switch couldn't have been labeled, or why (for a few bucks more), it couldn't LIGHT UP when it was turned on. Then, there's the red light....which supposedly goes on if it is NOT working.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I had this same problem with our new installed Atwood water heater... I ( I think it was my wife but I'll still say I) left the switch on the water evinually bolied out the the wiring shorted from to much heat. I'm now in the process of replacing all the WH wiring along with the foam covering. Thewr must be a way to wire in a wire for when the WH is turned on via electric. I just don't know the correct way to do it...Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
I had this same problem with our new installed Atwood water heater... I ( I think it was my wife but I'll still say I) left the switch on the water evinually boiled out the the wiring shorted from to much heat. I'm now in the process of replacing all the WH wiring along with the foam covering. There must be a way to wire in a wire for when the WHO is turned on via electric. I just don't know the correct way to do it...Any ideas?
Boy see what happens when you don't use the spell check!! It should have said "eventually the water boiled out of the tank, overheated and burnt the wiring to the tank, and the Styrofoam covering of the tank. There must be a way Ianthe 12V. side to wire in a green light for when the water heater is on via electric. I just don't know the correct way to do it. Any electric gurus out there?