Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Have Gavel Will Travel

2006 39' A-Series
Austin , Texas
SurgeGuard Surge Protectors

Hey Guys I have a 2014 Interstate 3500 and I am wondering whether I should expend the +/- $400 to invest in a Surge Protector to plug in when camping or charging at home. Are these worthwhile and necessary. The dealers of SurgeGuard claim that these also protect against low voltage, etc,. that your circuit breakers won't do.

Any input appreciated!
Kevin Madiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I have a surge protector that I use at campgrounds; especially those that I'm not confident were wired according to code. I am an apartment dweller and have no place to plug in at home so naturally I don't use one there.

Downside, the connector between the surge protector and the service pedestal is usually under cover, but the connector between the surge protector and your shore power cable is usually going to be exposed to the elements. Last time I used mine and worried about rainwater seeping into the outlet, I wrapped the connection with Saran wrap; worked just fine.

Way I see it, a surge protector is sacrificial; after it protects you from ONE surge it's due for replacement, unless you buy one that you can open up and replace just the innards. But that's cheap compared to what you'd have to replace on your Interstate if lightning strikes the municipal service while you're plugged in.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I replaced the inverter/charger with a new Xantrex Freedom 3000, the vendor made a point of telling me that the 2-year warranty would not cover failure if I did not use a surge protector. So I use a surge protector whenever I am plugged into 120 volts, whether at a c/g pedestal or my 3Kw generator.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I feel it money well $pent

Both in 30 and 50 amp service I feel that the Surge Guard system matched with the remote panel is the way to go! I prefer the "Hard Wire" system over the plug and play for three reasons...

1) These are not cheap! So placing them outside even with the lock they sell is not a great idea. Hard wire in makes them safe from theft.

2) I prefer anything electrical inside and out of the weather!

3) The hard wire system with the remote shows all the information you need with the addition of the 120 second count down. This feature is nice with the use of a backup gen or solar.

Note: The remote display pictured has been modified to match my other controls, What can I say... Were a tad bit on the perfection side of things at Vinstream...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vinstream surge.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	207742   Click image for larger version

Name:	vinstream surge panel.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	207743  

Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Surge protectors are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote