Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
howco's Avatar
 
1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 113
sulfur stink

Started 'full timing' about a week ago, so been shaking small problems out of our 70 A/S....... Came home tonight with a strong sulfur, rotten egg smell. Jumped online, saw fifty blogs about hot water heater and water fungus problems, Well water smells fine. This was 'very strong smell'. Hint, back window of rear bath was open. Checked fifty things, finally checked converter, seemed ok, no over heating or smells. Finally checked the battery; it was hot. Totally out of distilled water, it had cooked out all of the 'sulfuric' acid, thus the sulfur smell. The rear window is right above the battery rear hatch, and it just filled the whole trailer with bad smells.......filled it full of distilled water, smell stopped immediately. Now to figure out why?

Have not towed it in a week or more, been on shore power, plugged in to power supply, why? Any suggestions? bad inverter??
__________________

__________________
Favorite Bumper sticker:
Yes, this is my truck...
No, I won't help you move....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,941
over charged battery

With a modern converter, the batteries should not have been overcharged. The old style converters were noted for doing that. Check the charge voltage output from the converter. Replace the converter if it is too high and overcharging the batteries.
__________________

__________________
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
With a modern converter, the batteries should not have been overcharged. The old style converters were noted for doing that. Check the charge voltage output from the converter. Replace the converter if it is too high and overcharging the batteries.
If your univolt is original, the 69 through 74 (or thereabouts) were notorious for failing. When this happens the voltage goes high and boils the battery.

If a voltmeter check shows voltage much above 13.8 you have a charger failure. If the voltage is ok you most likely have a shorted battery cell.
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Yep...time to convert the converter. or hire a battery sitter.

Not worth taking the chance of the same happening with a new battery.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
seldencove's Avatar
 
1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 88
Images: 16
Are you sure its the battery? Make sure its not a gas/ propane leak. Propane has an additive that smells like sulfur/ rotten eggs to alert people to a leak. As soon as you said sulfur, I thought gas leak.
__________________
2005 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese Trunnion Bar with dual cam sway control
Prodigy P3 brake control
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
AIR-Quarius's Avatar
 
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,752
Images: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
also if the propane is about to run out it will put some of that smell out there too...sometimes faint but you can smell it.
__________________
http://customrvdecalplus.com
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
The smell in propane is more like a skunk smell. Sounds like the converter is your problem. Time to upgrade.
If you are parked more or less permanently you can disconnect the battery and just use the converter if it is one of the modern types. A battery switch would make this an easy step. Just remember to reconnect the battery before hitting the road.
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,132
I had an SOB ('76 Shasta) that used to boil out the battery when it was on shore power. Somehow I always forgot to check the battery level until it was too late.

That said, though, you will find that tyour battery will likely need replacing as well as replacing your converter/charger.
__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 213
hate to tell you this

better check for dead mice
__________________
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
blkmagikca's Avatar

 
1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
better check for dead mice
Had that too - after leaving mouse bait I found the squishy dead mouse in a box of dog biscuits as I reached in to get one for my dog. uuuuggghh
__________________

__________________
VE3JDZ
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stink in '74 Overlander!!!!! silverdaddy General Repair Forum 6 10-04-2009 02:47 PM
Sulfur Odor in 25' Wardrobe Closet ???? 2dabeach Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 2 03-25-2009 10:24 AM
Help please re: ultra low sulfur diesel fuel! Wingeezer Tow Vehicles 17 02-09-2009 07:45 AM
Battery Sulfur Odor spat61 General Motorhome Topics 2 12-29-2007 06:56 PM
Rotten egg / sulfur smell niss1679 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 17 10-17-2005 07:08 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.