Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
SOUTH EFFINGHAM , NH
Suggestions Repairing This Skin Rip

Hey Folks, First time posting here, about to jump in with both feet on our 65 Tradewind. Been thinking about this particular repair for a while, would love some ideas on how to tackle it. Exhibit A:

Thanks for any input!

Kerry
SilvrBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
It'll always be visible, but if you've gotten past that find a talented aircraft A & P who loves working with sheet metal. He can fashion a "nickel and dime" type patch (cut out the damage, back it with another sheet of aluminum, and rivet in the repair on top of that). It's an art form, so again you need someone who loves sheet metal work, not just a metal bender...

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
SOUTH EFFINGHAM , NH
Initially, I was thinking the same thing (well, not nearly as in depth as your suggestion). My first thought was if you follow the straight line of the top of the wheel well back, you would just clear the top of the tear and then you could cut out a rectangular section so to at least make it appear a bit less of a repair and more like just another panel. But I agree that it would probably be best to find someone who know what they're doing.

Thanks!
Kerry
Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Go to eaa.org and look up the nearest chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association. Those people build airplanes for a hobby, and lots of them are good sheet metal workers. Or, the above suggestion, try the local general aviation airport for a professional A&P mechanic who likes to do sheet metal.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
SOUTH EFFINGHAM , NH
Great suggestions folks! Actually, I live near a fly-in community and I think I know someone that lives there. Think I'll get in touch.

Kerry
Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
I agree that you're talking about a patch panel of some type & size, with the size & layout to look original-ish - plus you may have behind the AL sheet damage + around the corner into the wheel well damage to repair.

Looks like tire blow-out damage to me.

While an aircraft A&P may be able to do it for you, another option would be a good AS resto shop up your way. Since Vintage Trailer Supply is up your way, try calling or emailing the owner Stve to see if he can recco someone to help you out.

Note that they'll need to use the proper type & gauge of aluminum alloy to match the skins on it.

Also make sure that they either do Buck Riveting on the outer skin as they did originally - if they have back access, or else to use the Olympic shaveable rivets & shaver to make it look original. VTS has write-ups on it & sell the kits too - if you or the shop wants one (I got their kit for Xmas to re-rivet some belly pans & elsewhere on our `60 Avion).

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
SOUTH EFFINGHAM , NH
Great Info Tom, thanks so much!

Kerry
Old 03-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We saw a really cool patch at the dealership in the Pasadena area on a vintage trailer. It was in the shape of a whale or dolphin which was going to be the theme of the restore - ocean and sea mammals. You can personalize it with a cool patch and make it all your own - one of a kind!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...es-144251.html

Here are some decorative patches.

It's been years and I couldn't locate it with a search, but I saw a vintage owner who had a chewed up wheel well. He used an English Wheel and formed a patch that went around the entire opening - buck riveted it, then did the other side to match. Made the well appear to bulge out an inch or two and be a feature of the trailer. it even swept back behind the wheel. Very streamlined looking - a little reminiscent of a dually truck.

Paula

I'll spend a few more minutes on a google search

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...air-67608.html

Look at post #7 - this isn't the one I remember, but very similar! You could even do something like painting it red and having it tail off in flames... Of course both sides would have to be done.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Of course both sides would have to be done.
Maybe not, you can only see one side at a time.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Kind of like a new Caravan I saw many years ago that came into a dealership with Dodge markings and trim on one side and Chrsyler markings and trim on the other.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I repaired a similar (but smaller) booboo by trimming out the damaged section and making the wheel well slightly larger.
In my case I only needed to make the wheel well about 1.5" longer and 1" higher. I'm not sure that would work here because the rip is right up to the outrigger. You would need to cut right up to the outrigger and then use a spoon to work out the wrinkle that's behind the outrigger.
I was putting on larger tires so the larger wheel openings helped with mounting and dismounting the tires. If you went this way you would need to make sure it looks proportional. You would also want to open the wheel opening on the other side so it looks balanced.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Winnetka , California
Hello, I would not cut any of the damaged area. drill stop the crack and fabricate what we in the aircraft world is a doubler. cut and follow the contour of the wheel well and rivet with field fasteners (Blind rivets) follow a pattern of rivet separation that looks like it the rest of the TT and it will not only look custom, it will look like it was from factory.
aircraft1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
1975 Argosy 22
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Camrose , Alberta
I would make some fender skirts like on a 50's car if you wanted to hide it. Personally I think if you cut it out and patched it no one would notice unless you pointed it out.
AlbertaBound is offline   Reply With Quote