Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Stuck Sliding Bathroom Door

On our way back from Big Bend National Park this week, I noticed we had left the sliding bathroom door in our '75 23' Safari unlatched. When I moved it to the full open position, it seemed to get locked up, and now I cannot budge it. Any ideas on what the problem is, how to get it moving again, and fix it so it will not happen again? It had been working fine before it locked up. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Picture

Is there anyway you can take a picture of the door and post it on here?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Been there...done that

My bathroom door got stuck.......with my teenage daughter inside the bathroom. She was in a hurry to meet up with her friends. So, I got yelled at.
The problem was the hardware at the top of the door, that glides in the track. I tried to fix it but failed. My RV repair guy said that he had to take the wall down to get the door off to fix it....Hope you are luckier....Don't shoot the messenger!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It could be as simple as the latch that holds the door full open and full closed is stuck. This is the small knob at the top of the door, near the upper right corner as you are standing in the bathroom looking at it.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You may have to remove it to fix it. The problem is - it needs to be open to start with. There are screws in the bedroom side of the header, and facing rearward, on the right hand end of the track that release the door. But, there should also be a screw up in the header track that needs to come out.

The idea is to take out all the screws with the door closed. Then slide the door open and swing it out into the bath to release it. See if you can pry it up enough from the bottom to either get it closed or pop it back into the header track. Once it's fixed add a flat style sliding lock to the bottom corner of the door. Do a small cut out in the flooring and mount the flush latch part there. Then before traveling - remember to slide the latch in place to keep the door open. There may be screw holes in the door where a latch was originally.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Hmmmm....doesn't sound too good.

Dan4odm, I could take a picture, but you really wouldn't see anything but a closed door. That's all I can see when I'm looking at it here.

overlander63, Yes, it has the pin type door latch at the top, and that is not the problem as I have already removed it trying to get it to move.

All, the door apears to be in place properly as I can see the plastic guide things at the top that are still in the aluminum trac. However, there is also an aluminum trac at the bottom, and it appears as the door has dropped down, and has the bottom trac in an angle, but then again, the door seems to be free to move at the bottom, but hangs up at the top.

Does anyone know how the plastic guide things at the top of the door attach to the door? I can't see into it that well, but it must have dropped down from the plastic guide things somehow.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Very good chance one of rhe screws that hold the top track have worked loose . This will hit the glide and stop the door fom moving , it doesn't take much , not alot of clearence. You may have to remove a panel on one side or the other to see the track and get at the culprit.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
The idea is to take out all the screws with the door closed. Then slide the door open and swing it out into the bath to release it.
Sorry Steve - this should read take out the screws with the door OPEN - then slide the door closed......

Also, should have advised that this is from the 72 service manual.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
OK, the job is done. Ganglin, it has to be done as you said, but what the manual does not say is to get those screws out, you have to almost disassemble the closet because you cannot get to them otherwise. After I got to work on it, it took a total of three hours, and lots of words I shouldn't have said. The only problem with the door was the screws that hold the plastic slide things to the door had backed out, and that's what was causing it not to slide. It should not happen again, as I installed those screws with red (permanent) Locktite. At least, I hope I never have to do it again.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Thanks for posting the fix. I will check my screws before it becomes a problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote