Old 06-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Crested Butte , Colorado
Stretched Door Frame?

Iím working on a 1974 31í International. I had removed all of the subfloor. ( It was all rotted out around the edges anyway.) Then I had to tow it a couple thousand miles. Bad Idea, I know. I didnít have a choice. While towing the front right of the trailer shell had fallen off to the side and below the outriggers by a couple of inches.

So after towing with the shell bolted loosely to the frame the door doesnít align properly. It wasnít perfect to begin with. It seems like the door frame is stretched. It is one centimeter wider in the middle ( where the latch is) than the top or the bottom. Also the exterior skin in front of the door at the bottom is separating from the frame. Some of those rivets have popped out. The door also rubs (hard) on the bottom of the door frame when I close it. The dead bolt does not align with the hole in the door either. So I guess the door has dropped?

How do I fix this?

How much of the trailers overall rigidity comes from the shell? I did allot of repair and reinforcing of the frame while I was replacing the axles I got from Colin. However the frame still seems a little like a slinky and depending on how it rest on jacks it will align very differently with the C channel at different lengths of the trailer. As im installing new subfloor I raise or lower the rear with a jack until the section of shell and frame align properly and I can insert the wood into the channel. I was hopping that as I bolted it all back together it would align itself properly. Is this realistic?

Tiangong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I don't have an easy answer about the door, but I can tell you that the frame normally flexes a LOT when it's not attached to the shell. I had to jack up the shell a good 8-10" to get the rear of the frame to meet the shell when I was bolting everything back together.

A huge amount of the structure of an Airstream comes from the shell. There wiol still be some flex, but one you put the pieces back together, you should have a serviceable whole again. No telling how much that will help your door, though.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote