Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Storage Locker on a 34 footer... lock

I have tried to find the answer to this, but cannot find anything in the forums.. the locks on our storage compartment on the rear of our trailer are "generic" locks and anyone with a RV or probably any other RV key can open the locker. The lock has the number "05" stamped on the front of the lock. Sent an email to Airstream... and they sent me off to talk to Tri-Mark. Tori-Mark says they don't make a lock with "05" on the front of the lock. Phoned and talked to Industrial Lock & Hardware Inc in California. Chap REALLY knew locks. He had no answers on how to have the lock re-keyed. Yes, sent an email to Airstream... and they sent me off to talk to Tri-Mark.

Just would like to be able to lock this compartment and know that it is not accessible by "everyone". ANY IDEAS? I have done a LOT of looking and cannot find anything.

Thanks!

Lawrence Northway
LNorthway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy, Lawrence! Are you missing the key or trying to make new ones? Mine is 'DECO' lock blank.

If you remove the locks you can take it to a locksmith. They should be able to set new pins and re-key. Just remove the nut/screw holding the latch lever and the lock cylinder should fall outside... You may also lose the 'pins'... so, take care.

New 'cylinders' may be installed and easily resolve the issue.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
I just want to "re-key" the lock so the "world" cannot get access to my storage area of the trailer. I did take the lock to a lock smith. He said that due to the design of the lock, he could not re-key it. Do you know of a place that sells the tumbler that would fit this lock? THANKS!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes.. contact an Airstream dealer. They can 'order' some and mail it to you.

Edit... here is another 'option'...
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-454.htm
Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Thanks for the idea of an Airstream dealer... however, Airstream tech support sent me off to Tri Mark, who could not identify the lock. All documentation says it is a Tri Mark lock #GH005 with 05 on the lock itself. Here is a picture of the back storage door lock with the metal cast housing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lock.pdf (30.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yup.. that is precisely our AS, too! I know the 'locks' are replaceable.. I actually transferred them from my old to new 'grab handles' you show in the pdf above and installed in the 'new' handles.. quite simple actually.

The link I posted above should be what you need to click on... then select the correct 'depth' to match your AS. It will come with keys.

Oh, my keys/locks have similar numbering..kinda an AS thing to be 'standard' it seems.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:23 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Thank you! GREAT to know! Will try this. Weird how no one knows about it! GREAT to get an answer that works!

Lawrence
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Several years ago when I had a '94 LY motorhome, I met up with Mark Silver (the son of the late Phil Silver) in the big tent at Quartzsite. He had a booth specializing in replacement locks for the common CH751, and I bought them for the LY. His prices are reasonable and he keys them for you - they are the round Ace locks. See CH751 RV REPLACEMENT LOCKS, CAM LOCKS, CAMLOCKS
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Thank you for your comments, however, the CH751 are used on the trailer in different spots, but the one that concerns me is the storage locker in the trailer and this lock/key set appear to be quite unique. Tri-Mark who was supposed to be the manufacturer says they don't make the lock. The lock can be opened by "anyone's" storage locker key (other brands of trailers...) for example.

Have ordered a set of locks. Not sure they will work as they are shorter than what is in there now. The lock sits in a cast metal fixture... which is the problem.

Will update once the locks arrive.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our "Texas"' locksmith was able to service our lock just fine... Maybe someone told them "you cannot do that"!!! Hehe. It's an Alamo thing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNorthway View Post
Thank you for your comments, however, the CH751 are used on the trailer in different spots, but the one that concerns me is the storage locker in the trailer and this lock/key set appear to be quite unique. Tri-Mark who was supposed to be the manufacturer says they don't make the lock. The lock can be opened by "anyone's" storage locker key (other brands of trailers...) for example.

Have ordered a set of locks. Not sure they will work as they are shorter than what is in there now. The lock sits in a cast metal fixture... which is the problem.

Will update once the locks arrive.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Lock Update....

Purchased a pair of locks as per the forums. They don't fit. The cast metal housing that Airstream uses will not allow even the tumblers to be put into the lock housing... and the lock overall is 1/2 inch too short.

So... just going to live with the locks that came with the trailer and will not keep anything of value into that storage locker...

So, the hunt continues! REALLY strange lock! Thanks for all your help!

Lawrence
Old 05-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Churchville , New York
2017 gh005 search

we lost one of our GH005 bin lock bolts from our 1996 AS. Factory told us they discontinued making those lock bolts in 2014. New bolts will not fit the original handle hold because of diameter of the bolt. The hole in the handle has a 2 size opening. The old GH005 has a smooth tubular finish end and full length is actually two parts together of different diameters too.

So ... is our only option here to get a new handle hold?

this is for the back end storage bin.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
PM sent.

If AS. Has a replacement handle.. might get it while you can... these trailers are getting where you will need spare parts... especially wear items like locks, awning keys, etc
Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
In the town of Jackson Center there is a hardware store right near the post office. It is owned and run by a retired AS employee - in fact, he was the designer of the electrical system in my '87 Excella. He bought a lot of the AS surplus parts. In 2011 when I was in JC, he had locks and keys for the battery boxes and storage lockers on my Excella. Locate the store and call him - he may just have what you need.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Churchville , New York
our resolution

So here is what we wound up doing. Hubby had just the right drill bit size to bore our the hole in the handle so that it is now all one diameter. The 2inch bolt now fits through easily and we will be able to lock again. I realize this is not the ideal, but with an older trailer we are prepared to adapt when needed.

So glad to learn about the hardware store in JC!!
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNorthway View Post
I have tried to find the answer to this, but cannot find anything in the forums.. the locks on our storage compartment on the rear of our trailer are "generic" locks and anyone with a RV or probably any other RV key can open the locker.
The baggage door locks are, insofar as I can determine, unique to Airstream and not used by any other brands. It is difficult to find blanks. The only cross-keying you would encounter would be with other Airstream owners.

Quote:
The lock has the number "05" stamped on the front of the lock. Sent an email to Airstream... and they sent me off to talk to Tri-Mark. Tori-Mark says they don't make a lock with "05" on the front of the lock. Phoned and talked to Industrial Lock & Hardware Inc in California. Chap REALLY knew locks. He had no answers on how to have the lock re-keyed. Yes, sent an email to Airstream... and they sent me off to talk to Tri-Mark.
I went through the same exercise years ago when I was trying to get everything to open with one key, and didn't have any better luck than you did.

Quote:
Just would like to be able to lock this compartment and know that it is not accessible by "everyone". ANY IDEAS? I have done a LOT of looking and cannot find anything.
It isn't accessible by "everyone." I've been traveling for some years. I lock my baggage doors at times to protect against petty theft. It's not other people with RVs I worry about. It's the people who have nothing.