Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #1

2007 19' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
storage in extreme heat

I store my airstream in Phoenix. In this area outside temperatures regularly stay above 110. The inside of the trailer then turns into a real oven. I worry about what damage this does to the interior. However, if I leave windows open I expose the interior to risk from the dust storms we have here. Any advice from other southwest airstreamers?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #2

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
And any similar advise for us Southerners that deal with Sauna conditions?

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Storing it under a cover - even if it has open sides, would help with the accumulated temperature. The off-gassing & adhesive deterioration would be slightly less in the shade - it would keep it from getting much warmer than the actual temperature outside.

We put the foil bubble wrap in our windows here at altitude...seems to help with sun deterioration and probably heat gain, although we don't have the same temps obviously that you do. Also, covers for your tires would help...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I keep my trailer at a covered storage facility. Yes it is hot, but in the shade it does not ever get hotter then the outside air temperture. I also keep it closed up because of the threat of dust storms...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
We store ours next to our house. Here in Visalia, it routinely gets over 100 in the summer. I try to keep a window or two open and run the Fantastic Fans. This can get dirty. I am not sure if this is making it hotter inside or not. Maybe I will try closing it up completely. I know when my parents owned it in Redding they had little brown rubber/plastic bumpers on the cabinets. These things MELTED and dripped all over. I think we will eventually be putting a structure up to protect the trailer more (aluminum).

I will be watching this thread for ideas.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #6

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I also keep it closed up because of the threat of dust storms...
How about some custom filters to go over the window screens and leave the windows slightly open?

Having been through a couple of AZ dust storms, you would need HEPA grade units, but it might work.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackinn
I store my airstream in Phoenix. In this area outside temperatures regularly stay above 110. The inside of the trailer then turns into a real oven. I worry about what damage this does to the interior. However, if I leave windows open I expose the interior to risk from the dust storms we have here. Any advice from other southwest airstreamers?
The better Fantastic fans have a thermostat, that will take care of most of the heat.

However, the coach should be plugged into city power, so the battery doesn't run down.

If you cannot plug the coach into city power, then you can also add a couple of "solar panels" that will at least try to keep the batteries charged.

You have to do some calculations in terms of how many watts you will use, as well as how many watts will you return to the battery or batteries.

Andy
Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here's what I do...

First you'll need to protect your tires from the searing sun and heat, otherwise, they won't last but a couple summers. As somebody already suggested, buy enough silver insulated sun screen material to cover all of your windows. You can buy this stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. Just cut it to size. I keep my vents closed most of the time because of the dust but I do vent out the trailer quite a bit. Airstreams are pretty resilient, I haven't seen any internal damage from the heat.

One thing I'm seriously considering is putting up a carport for my Airstream. I'm planning on having it recoated this fall and keeping the direct sun of it should prolong the life of the clearcoat (not to mention keeping it cooler by keeping it out of the direct sun).

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I also store mine at the house. It sits in the direct sun from 11am on. I keep two of the top vents cracked open a bit as heat rises and it should exhaust through the vents. Also the rear window, closest to the house, is also cracked open a bit. In the future but not soon enough, I plan on building an enclosed shop with AC to store it in and so I can work on it out of the heat for 9 months of the year.

In the mean time, I've gotten one of those pole and canvas shade covers that I'll be putting up one of these weekends.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
First you'll need to protect your tires from the searing sun and heat, otherwise, they won't last but a couple summers.
Sure it's a good idea, but I'm not so sure here in the Southwest tires deteriorate significantly any faster from sun and heat exposure. I'm not advocating using them it but I have acquired 60's and 70's coaches with original tires that were in the new Mexico sun unprotected for 25 to 35 years and still held air. The tires on my 73 were 15 years old when I took them off and did not show any weather checking or cracking between the treads. They were overdue to be replaced just from the age factor but I would bet not any worse for the sun exposure than the same age tires from northern environs.

I do plan to cover my new tires though. Trust in God but tie up your camel
Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Actually, its the UV rays that are hard on tires which is why you should keep them covered. Tires staying in the same position are prone to sidewall cracking. Here's just one of many articles on the proper care and feeding of tires.

Motorhome Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Sure it's a good idea, but I'm not so sure here in the Southwest tires deteriorate significantly any faster from sun and heat exposure. I'm not advocating using them it but I have acquired 60's and 70's coaches with original tires that were in the new Mexico sun unprotected for 25 to 35 years and still held air. The tires on my 73 were 15 years old when I took them off and did not show any weather checking or cracking between the treads. They were overdue to be replaced just from the age factor but I would bet not any worse for the sun exposure than the same age tires from northern environs.

I do plan to cover my new tires though. Trust in God but tie up your camel

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote