Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

1974 27' Overlander
Seligman , Missouri
Rivet Stink in '74 Overlander!!!!!

I just recently pruchased a 1974 Airstream. It had a very bad wet old smell in it. Took out all the carpet (basicly striped the inside). It still has a bad smell. I have been reading the forums and I think maybe I will have to remove the bottom pan to clean it out. Does any one have any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell?

Thanks Silverdaddy
silverdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello silverdaddy - welcome to the forums!

A "found" '74 trailer, car or boat would need a major overhaul if they were still in existence at all. Airstreams are no different except that more of them survive to be 40 or 50 years old.

There are any number of leak sources on new or old Airstreams. I fully believe that may be what you are smelling. Look under gaucho (fold down couch), behind beds, behind cabinets -- anything to help you inspect the perimeter of the floor where it meets the shell. I'll bet you've potentially got some rotten floor. My '74 Argosy smell improved dramatically when I fixed up a few of these areas. Fixing any leaks will be job one. But there could be some floor repair in your future.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #3

1974 27' Overlander
Seligman , Missouri
1974 airstream

Thanks Bob,

This is all new to my buddy and I. We are really looking forward to restoring this old bullet. It's just a matter of getting the right infomation. We are looking for plumbing and wireing diagrams for this year model. Any ideas where we can get these?

Cotton (Silverdaddy)
silverdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
The repair manuals are very detailed (not everything, but pretty good). You can see examples of the electrical systems here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ams-38170.html

and mechanical here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mes-39782.html

In general, plumbing is similar in most 70s models above the floor, but placement of the holding tanks makes a big difference in drains below the floor.

PM me if you need more details from the manuals.

Zep
Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Just a note about odors. I recently solved an odor problem in my Overlander after looking for it for 8-9 years! At least six other people sniffed around and no one could decide if it was propane or dead rats, or some other weird oozing mass.

Turns out it was propane. The copper feed line for the fridge was touching (pressed up against, actually) a part of the fridge and a small hole had been abraded in the pipe! The contact was pretty snug, so the leak was small. I don't know if the odorant changes a little if it's been hanging around for a long time, but it definitely wasn't as distinctive as you would expect. It was surprising that six people couldn't identify it. After you test every propane fitting with soapy water, and I mean every fitting, you start looking for other sources...

Zep
Old 10-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My 71 was a veritable mouse condo when I got it. Kind of like an old Farmer Gray cartoon. When I started working on it the mousy smell was really stong. You still get a whiff after it has been sealed up for a while, but not like it used to be. I guess the only way to get the smell completely gone is remove all the insulation. So I will live with it, or in it. I have heard Fabreze helps. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have a 1973 and it stunk to high heaven when I bought it. After I replaced the black tank and the bathroom floor. I used a stain on the rest of the wood floor and covered it with laminate. We used Mr. Clean Magic eraser on all the interior walls and the stink is now gone.

Brian