Old 06-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Monticello , Florida
Starbound Tradewind -- 3 Years Later!

This was the first post about my 1976 Airstream Tradewind: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...am-150865.html

I'm doing a slow overhaul/refurbish of the interior (and eventually exterior restoration), and I figured with my third anniversary having just passed, I owed you guys a bit of an update. I'm happy to answer questions or provide photos of anything y'all find curious!

Original/As purchased in 2016:

2017 -bought a REAL truck, bought new tires, new AC, moved to a different area, uninstalled and sold the couch+table, found out the heater doesn't work. And then someone ran into my truck and totaled it, so I had to get a different one.

2018 -- A hinge on the door sheered its bolt on New Years Day. We jerry-rigged a fix. The aftermarket canopy got bent in a windstorm, so I took it off and patched the holes (the canopy screw was the leak that caused damage to the subfloor in the front). The propane tanks and valve were replaced. My parent's big oak tree also fell down, woops.

2019 -- I went into this year with the intention of bringing in some guys to fix the damaged subfloor. It took them forever to actually show up (like, I called them for multiple months) but it's FINALLY done. We also fixed the door properly at the same time (didn't have to buy new hinges!). Then I painted walls, restored window frames, and tinted all the windows.

I also did a lot of smaller repairs on my own, mostly aesthetics but I learned a lot of new skills. I'll cover some of them in specific repair threads or maybe in the comments below.

My favorite thing to do is to watch the professionals work and ask them questions -- they're usually happy to have company, and I always learn something about their trade!

I cannot describe the feeling of waking up on new year's day and thinking "yeah this is the year everything comes together, 2017 really sucked I'm so ready to move forward", and then opening the door and it just about falls off the trailer. The irony of it. I almost think the universe was laughing at me a little bit. (But things HAVE improved a lot since then, so HA)