Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Sounds Suspicious To Me

2016 Flying Cloud 27FB

Warranty expires June 2018

Issue:
Just below the dinette (right behind where the table leg meets the floor), you can see where a screw is popping up ... slightly raising the lenoleum.

Here's the "suspicious" part:
The local Airstream service shop claims the only way to address a screw that's rising is to remove everything from the interior that comes in contact with the lenoleum (cabinetry, walls, anything that is installed on top of the lenoleum), pull up all lenoleum, replace the screw, lay new lenoleum, install everything that was removed.

I asked:
Can't you just cut a small slit in the lenoleum, replace the screw that's popping up, glew that small slit in the lenoleum back down? I don't want everything removed.

The local Airstream service shop response:
"Airstream won't approve a repair like that. We've done 3 other Airstream repairs of this type and it's not a problem. Removing everything is the only option."

I think that's crazy ... I don't want everything removed because it's never going to go back in place like it should. Besides, a popping screw can't possibly be that unique of an issue. What are your thoughts?

If this is honestly the "Airstream approved fix" then the only way I would even consider this is to take it back to Jackson Center and have them make the repair.

I need some advice and input please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lenoleum.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	299473  
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It seems that the issue boils down to two questions:
1 - Do you want a time-consuming but free fix under warranty, or a quick but inexpensive fix out of warranty?
2 - Do you really want the repair done by the dealer you talked to?

If you want it fixed free, at that dealer, you're pretty much stuck with letting him do it his way. But the mere fact that you ask the question indicates you don't trust him to do a good job.

If you don't mind paying for it, forget taking it to an RV service center, Airstream or otherwise. Linoleum is linoleum, whether it's in a home or a trailer, and anybody who handles linoleum flooring for a living should know the best way to make a small and inconspicuous slit to fix the screw— as well as how to glue the screw down so it won't unscrew itself again. According to Yelp, Simon and Sons Flooring is the highest-rated flooring company in Georgetown, TX where you live, so perhaps a call to them is in order. I'm sure they'd be tickled to handle a problem that can come to them instead of them going to the problem.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
If it was me, I'd fix it myself.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My $0.02

Your profile says you're in TX and I have to imagine there are good AS dealers closer to you than the mothership. I don't think that kind of work is so unique it must go back to the factory - though I personally a huge fan of doing that (been there 3 times [emoji3]).

If you had an old trailer - maybe - I'd do your slice repair but as a new trailer no way. All the motion will work on that tear every mile you drive. Maybe you'll be better at this than we are but we're forever tracking dirt in to the trailer when we camp. That dirt's gonna make its way in there and cause bigger problems. Most of the furniture is fairly easy to remove (screws and staples) - if you've got a local dealer that's done a lot of service work it shouldn't be too hard for them.

If you don't know for sure - then by all means, take it to the factory. You'll have a blast and they'll very likely do a great job on it.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Factory fix or I would fix myself as described in the first post
Small patch
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
This is a DIY fix. Slit floor. Tighten screw. Done.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The unknown in all this: Why did the screw back out?

If it backed out because it's stripped or because the floor is rotted, just tightening it isn't going to fix it for long ....

There are a lot of reasons why stuff happens, this is only one entry on the list.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
-- snip --this is honestly the "Airstream approved fix" then the only way I would even consider this is to take it back to Jackson Center and have them make the repair. -- snip --
Was surprised to learn that the only way to replace the flooring was to remove all the furniture. It is a flawed design, but it is also what we have been sold.

My recomendation is to take it to JC and have them fix it. Then while the work is being done, take a lot of pictures and review the design as well as the methods used to install all the furniture.

But then, I'm not the one giving up my vacation to resolve this problem. I'd also be using my local service department, but then I trust them to do a good job.

What ever you chose, it must be your decision. That is the only way you will be happy with the result. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
DIY....for sure.

One of the first things AS does BackAsswards after putting the shell on is the floor covering....all our outside storage compartments were carpeted. Not good when they can't always build a unit that won't leak.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6b2.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	299480   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_41b.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	299481  

Name:	DSC07532.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	299482  
Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would hammer it down and roll on.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #11
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
How slow is the service dept at that dealer? Sounds to me like they need extra work and figure they can get it on Airstream's dime...
Old 11-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I would hammer it down and roll on.
Could try a couple of taps with a center punch, and see what happens.

Trying to maintain like new perfection is worthy, but tough to do if actively using our streams.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
In the dealers defense they have to do it the right way. If it’s warranty work they can’t just hand you back a trailer with a cut in the linoleum.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
In the dealers defense they have to do it the right way. If it’s warranty work they can’t just hand you back a trailer with a cut in the linoleum.

That's true....but at a top line dealer it might very well be a CSI score 'repair'.

If only JC would use a CSI survey.

Bob
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
As with CountryBoy, this would be a DIY for me.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
The question is "why is the screw coming out?" Considering all the possibilities, it's not likely the screw decided to do it all on its own. While the DIY fix might be simple, the problem is what if you find other issues while you do the repair, like a under floor water leak, or subfloor coming apart. The fact you started the repair could complicate your warranty claim. Another advantage of having the dealer remove the interior is they will be able to do a complete inspection of the entire floor, looking for more loose screws and find why the screw loosened in the first place. I'd let them do the repair.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
flooring goes on before body , stapled around edge . then body goes on top .
is fiberglass backed so very stable . not normally glued and if is glue used is a release type contact ( can be pulled up and repositioned without damage )
screw coming up should be subfloor screw . may have missed x member but more likely snapped off at steel when put in . as floor not glued a slit can't be glued down as would work against rest of floors expansion and contraction in temp variables.
could be seam sealed over slit but might open up over time ergo factory say pull and replace .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
I agree with Hendrix. When the linoleum is pulled up they can inspect the floor and maybe add more screws if needed.
Also u will get a new floor. I think this is the best way as it is under warranty.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts. Each of your comments definitely have some very good points to consider.

With respect to the local Airstream service shop, I tell myself every time that I'm never going back to them (this is the 5th Airstream we've owned and we've never had positive experiences with them). The Airstream sat for 3 weeks, they finally started to work on it. They only addressed a couple items, they overlooked 2 other items on the list. About the only thing I got out of there with was 2 new batteries and a new sewer hose resulting in a $842 bill.

I think I'm going to plan a trip to Foley's RV (where we purchased it) and let them assess the situation. I trust Foley's RV (we took it there last year for some warranty repairs ... they were great). The 10 hour drive is what I'm not looking forward to ... but I guess we can make a vacation out of the trip.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Hay Frank & Mike,

If the dealer ( Foleys ) doesn't work out for you make an appointment at Jackson Center its not that much farther to the mothership .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote