1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Thank God for your computer !!

Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
Well, after removing the latch assembly with much trouble, I discovered there is a small roll-pin that moves the latch bolt out of the door frame. Once I can find a suitable replacement for this, I can put it back in place.

Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I had a Nissan in college that had doors that you could only lock with the key. I came out one day to get in a hurry and grabbed the handle and pulled up real quick...the door was locked and I bent the push rod that operated the latch from the outside handle and it would no longer open the door from the outside. I could exit from the driver's side, but had to enter from the passenger side. Well, wouldn't you know it. One day I stopped to check my mail and left the motor running. When I returned I found that the passenger door was locked, the driver's door was "locked" and the motor was running. I had to call the police to come out with one of those "doo-hickeys" and open the door. It took 30 minutes for the officer to arrive and another 20 to get the door open. As soon as I got home (two minutes) I took the door apart figured out what was bent, took a hammer to it and straightened it out. I'm probably the only person to lock his keys inside a car with doors that couldn't be locked without the keys!
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1

Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
Thank God for your computer !!
I'M not gonna laugh.. but that's RIGHT.. thank GOD for the computer plus thank GOD for all of the friends here on the forums.. where else could you get frozen in a vintage trailer with no escape and get help within the minute?

Happy trails :-)
I'm just a pink flamingo on the great lawn of life :-)
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This reminds me of a neighbor who had a '70's Ford econobox back around 1980. The temp had gone to somewhere around -33˚ that morning and she tried to open the door. The handle was so brittle at that temp it just broke off in her hand. The look of surprise on her face as she held the handle and just pondered it was wonderful to see. I always wondered if the handle was made of pot metal.

Then there was the girlfriend back in the '70's when I lived in western NY. Another ice storm overnight. She couldn't get the door on her '60's Ford Fairlane unlocked and I heard a banging outside. She was kicking the handle as if that would defrost the lock; I couldn't hear the language through the storm windows, but knowing her, it was vivid. She was angry and limber enough to kick that high!. I thought the heat she was generating might melt the ice. That's when I opened the front door and suggested we heat the key; that worked and she went off to teach kids another day. If they could have seen and heard their teacher losing it!

This says something about old Fords.

Durandal, glad to hear you got out. Another plus mark for the Forum. As summerkid said, now I can laugh. It might take you a little longer.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
Well, once I find out where to purchase a replacement roll pin, I'll be able to laugh about it. Thankfully the real estate auction I originally was going to miss was postponed, as everybody else was having a difficult time leaving home. I have to drive in tomorrow and find out when it was postponed to.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Glad Everything is Ok Now

A roll pin should be easy enough to locate at most auto parts stores.

After being stuck inside my ’67 Trade Wind the repairs so I could lock the door took the rest of the day. When I went to work the next day I said to my boss, “Did you ever have one of those days when you couldn’t get out of the house?” Then I showed him the mangled lock.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
It seems I have located a replacement roll-pin. This is the piece that failed me this morning, as I wrenched that door handle with more strength than I should have used.
Roll Pin For Main Door Lock Small SKU3006 - $2.49 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

Until then, my door is held shut by a screwdriver when I'm inside, and when outside, a padlock style lock. It's certainly ugly not having the lock there, and might inspire someone to mess with things if I were not around, but nobody comes up here any more.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Man......... I would have sworn you were pullin' my leg !

Happy things worked out for you..... I'll be telling this story for years to come, as I'm sure you will be too !!! Heh, heh, heh.....

Unbelievable, the things that can happen.........

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
"Girl" tool kit trick

I got up one morning to find there had been freezing rain overnight. My trailer was nicely coated because I'd had the furnace on very low. I tried to get out but the door was just stuck like glue.

So I got out the hair dryer and went to work around the edges of the door.

I bought a space heater so if it happens again I'll have two sources to melt the ice.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I am glad things worked out as well as they did - but with a lot of discomfort to you - can you share what you learned from the experience? Thanks
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
1976 Argosy 26
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Durandal, So glad you are OK. Some of the ice storms in Arkansas can be brutual, especially in North West Arkansas. It never crossed my mind that a door would not open from the inside, even with ice. When my van door is frozen shut, I usually use a hair dryer. Takes a while but it works. Hope this is the last storm for the winter.

Cathy Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
OK, I'll add my story ... Last week I sprinted out to start the truck so it could warm up in minus-20 temps. Five minutes later I went out to get IN the truck, only to discover that my wintertime Michelin Man couture had depressed the door lock as I bumbled around with the key.

Like Gene's neighbor, I stood there with a stupid look on my face while trying to decide whether it would be cheaper to call a locksmith or to let a full tank of gas burn out and then wait for my b'friend to return from NYC with the extra key.

Not content to stand by stupidly, I stripped off the outerwear, popped open the unlocked wing window & wildly poked a stick in the direction of the lock button. That didn't work; automakers cleverly thought ahead to thieves using just such a method & angled everything so that it would not work. But I nearly froze in the process.

Then, as I studied the dang impregnable vehicle wondering what would be the cheapest thing to break on a 2001 F-150, I remembered that, since I never lock anything ON PURPOSE, the rear slider might open! Sure enough, after I clambered over a bedful of solidified, snowy trash, a cup hook slipped through the gasket saved the day!

I felt so smart & pretty.
Of course I'm an elitist. Look around you.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
This last cold spell ours froze up due to some water iceing as it dripped downward to the base of the door...once we jarred it loose without ripping it off the hinges, we doused it real good with WD 40 time the water will just keep going or won't adhere as well.

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote