Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
Solar

How much would it cost to have a 160 watt solar panel installed. Do I buy just the panel or do I need other pieces of equipment to make it work?
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
contact outsidesupply.com. i added 2 more gopower panels to my AI, and now i have 300 watts.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint CHarles , Missouri
Solar Panel install

When you add a solar panel and you don't already have a solar system installed, you will probably need a charger in between your panel and battery. Some portable solar panel kits will have the charger as part of the kit.
ggreen63304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen63304 View Post
When you add a solar panel and you don't already have a solar system installed, you will probably need a charger in between your panel and battery. Some portable solar panel kits will have the charger as part of the kit.
The unit I bought says that it is wired for solar.
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
The unit I bought says that it is wired for solar.
That just means that there is an inadequately sized wire from somewhere on the roof to someplace inside the trailer where a solar controller would go.

To get good answers to your question, check out the AM Solar website (link below.) They have some very good information in their DIY Instructions section. They also sell complete kits with everything you need to do a good installation. You may find less expensive sources for a DIY installation but AM Solar is geared for RV owners and sells complete kits with every part you will need. Plus their installation support cannot be beat.

http://amsolar.com/
Old 11-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
To have solar you need a panel, a charge controller, a mounting system and compatible wiring.

It gets tricky. Solar requires direct or almost direct sun to function well so there is even a chart/map based on the latitude/longitude and number of hours the sun is in optimum position. So, you may want your mounting system to tilt as well. ALSO, not all charge controllers are compatible with all battery types. Some are or at least are programmable to be use with other types. On an on it goes just full of decisions to make! I am sure someone else will mention the wire gauge/length issue! Newer Airstreams come with pre-wiring for Solar though some say the wiring is inadequate. I used my wiring. Consider also how you will mount the panel on your roof. You do not have to drill holes. You can use super adhesive caulk stuff.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
i drilled holes and used sicaflex per airstream's recommendation. i keep a compass in the van and try to park so that i get as much sun as possible. 300 watts is helpful, but 3 panels are not really enough to keep the batteries charged overnight if you are running the fridge/freezer and lights, etc, as the panels only produce while the sun is shining during peak hours. you will want to run the engine some or get plugged in. i was in halifax for canada day and decided to stay in a hotel. i left my fridge/freezer running to keep wine chilled. each morning, i needed to run the engine for a few minutes to bring the batteries up. if you park somewhere on a hot day and want to run the overhead fan, 3 panels will produce enough for that and run the fridge/freezer during peak hours.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/airstream/solar/
400 watts in my setup, it was starting from scratch and winging the install. The panels are only a fraction of the cost. Running the wires can be your biggest challenge.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I suggest that you direct your question to site participant Lewster, a professional RV technician, solar expert and a willing advisor to many on this site. I just had a 900W / 600 AH lithium system and really look forward to the additional capabilities it will give us on the road. Good luck. Dennis
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote