Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Central CA

2001 25' Safari
APTOS , California
Sofa Door 2001 Safari 25 foot

We have a hinged 6 foot door under the sofa which hides three storage bins. The plastic connectors at each end have broken. Tried hook/eyes which got tangled and had to break to get it open. Then tried magnets - too weak. Am looking into Neodymium magnets with 10 lb pull force 7/8" round yet I worry that the door will not support the pull force to open and close without the screws flying out! I'm guessing the fabric covered door board is 1/2 inch plywood. Any thoughts if I am heading in the right direction or any other suggestions (husband out-of-town!!) THANKS IN ADVANCE! Lynn
kazanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
What about the cabinet child safety magnet lock? It is a basic latch that is held into place until a magnet releases it from the outside. It is a bit of an inconvenience, but for $10 it would hold it shut no problem and then have little to no force needed to open it. (just don't loose your magnet)
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Have you considered Velcro? Not too much, or it will be very hard to open, but just the right amount may work.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
These 'grabber latches' are used to hold the doors closed on newer trailers. They are available from out of doors mart for $6.95. I just ordered one yesterday.

C3 - Grabber Catch Latches | Southco
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, when I remodeled my living room, I recovered my gaucho and the door; My door was more like 1/8" and it broke, but still looks good and still works. Your's being older might have a thicker board, but I doubt it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Central CA

2001 25' Safari
APTOS , California
Sofa Door 2001 Safari 25 foot

Thank you for your suggestions. I did try Velcro also but with whatever heat it would not stick against the fabric backing. I will look into the Grabber Latches - just seems like more plastic to break eventually. I appreciate all of your input!
kazanan is offline   Reply With Quote