Old 06-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
S , N
Smell under bed

2013 Bambi has a bad smell under bathroom sink but also under the bed at the end of the trailer. I'm wondering how I can least invasively check for leaks or water damage?

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hmmmmm

A smell doesn't have to mean there is a liquid leak. But you could check a Garden Store for a moisture meter. Take readings all over so you can compare, and see if there are wet versus dry spots.

Other possible causes….gases, dead mouse, mold, vent problem.

To diagnose the problem, you might need to …..think like stink

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
FC 20 rear kitchen bath area, lots of plumbing there. Clear out everything in the lower cabinets. Check for water leaks from all the faucets. Get some grey tank deodorizer and put down the sinks. Put some deodorizer down the toilet. See if the odor changes or goes away.

Buy a Sonin moisture meter and probe under the cabinets, dinette, bed, outside storage for any moisture. Remove the mattress and check it outside. Clean the fridge.

Hopefully, something will show up as a cause.

Kelvin
Old 06-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dead mouse. Don't discount it. I found one in my Safari on the way home after picking it up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
S , N
Found some water staining in the subfloor below the water heater. I also get a slightly wet wood smell below the bed storage. I'm wondering if I could have floor rot. My nose is very sensitive so others might not detect as strongly. Is there an easy way to check? This is a 2013 so I thought I wouldn't have this problem; just purchased it a week ago.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Found some water staining in the subfloor below the water heater. I also get a slightly wet wood smell below the bed storage. I'm wondering if I could have floor rot. My nose is very sensitive so others might not detect as strongly. Is there an easy way to check? This is a 2013 so I thought I wouldn't have this problem; just purchased it a week ago.
Suggest you first empty out the storage area and see if there is any apparent moisture. If you suspect moisture from the water heater, it would likely be at a fitting. One way to see is with a moisture meter, but you could also use a Kleenex tissue held around the joint to determine if there is water leaking (that's the "gross" test, the fine test is with a moisture meter). Use a pointed awl if you suspect any floor rat.

BTW, if this was purchased from an AS dealer, he should have provided some sort of warranty.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:15 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
S , N
Thanks for the input!

I could hone down the smell to two areas: around the hot water tank where I see some discolouration of an area of exposed subfloor but the moisture meter does not detect anything.

Secondly, under the bed storage area. The moisture meter increased at the front wall. We took out the trim on the side and the tips of the screws were corroded/black. That part of the subfloor is covered in something black normally so it was difficult to assess for staining. We are not sure if it was a prior leak or is an ongoing issue.

We have an extended warranty but I'm not sure if this will be covered. I'd really like to get rid of the smell. We were thinking of leaving the trim off so the floor can breathe and maybe run a dehumidifier to dry it out since we're not using the trailer presently.

We checked the floor in a number of other places where it did not elevate. Under the bathroom sink where I get a strong smell presumably from the pipes I guess, the cupboards tested ok.

We were wondering if slicing back a small piece of floor is wise or not. We don't want to damage it further or void any warranties but really want it fixed.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I first got my '87 Excella, I took it directly to JC and had them go over it. They found several small leaks and fixed them all. One was from the seal around a window and there was some moldy odor. They used some chemicals to neutralize it. I have, since then, made it a point on my way from Ontario to Arizona each winter to stop and service there.

I'm not sure where you are located, but you might want to plan a trip to JC to have this issue addressed. You will need to make a prior appointment, but they do work on it while you wait (even provide overnight camping on the terraport if the work exceeds one day). There is stuff to see and do during your stay there, most notably the Neil Armstrong Space Center, but there are other attractions too. BTW, when they say come in on, say, Monday, they mean you you report at the service counter at 7:00 am - your rig is in the shop by 8:00 and work starts immediately.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
In the bathroom plumbing there is likely an "air admittance valve". It lets air into the drain line from the sink when there is a negative pressure. (i.e. when it is draining, it opens and lets air in so it will drain quickly) This is a plumbing code requirement. These valves tend to leak and let sewer gas come into the bathroom and it smells the toilet area up.

I had one to not seal properly and when towing with a full black tank it would smell up the whole trailer. I replaced it with a plug. The sink drains fine without it.

So check to see if you have one in the sink drain piping to the black tank. It is usually where you can reach it under the sink.

Good luck on finding and eliminating the odors.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote