Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Small leak -Newbie

JUst took out my 2010 25FB on it's 1st trip. In getting ready - found several small leak lines (and damp upholstery). The one that has me baffled - is on a seam, where i can push on the seam and a little water will drip out. Not sure where it originates from since no corresponding seam on exterior. I put a rectangle around the image on where the leak is. This is on the street side, about 4ft up, between wrap around widow and side window. thought somebody might have a clue or idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as leak 1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	236028  
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Looks like a window to shell leak. Or it could be a panel and/or rivets above that spot.

Replace window sealant I'd you see any separation. On external, Use a dropper to drip water on spots... See if it disappears in a crack. Or under a rivet or panel...

Get some "Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure".. Stuff works!

What is on roof above that spot??
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Anders79. Welcome to Air Forums. All Airstreamers are constantly vigilant for leaks. You'll get good at finding them.

As you know there is 1 1/2 inches between the outer skin and inner skin. What might be migrating into the interior on the inner skin may not be close to where the leak is.

Study the outside of your trailer closely. Marker lights, roof penetrations, skin seams, rivets and window frame joints are all suspects.

I take my garden hose with spray nozzle set to shower. I clamp it to my step ladder. I start low and I work my way up the area where you discovered the leak. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes before the leak will appear. I found one at my rear window, and I found one at my rear end cap seam using this garden hose method.

A better way is the "seal tec" method where you pressurize your trailer with a high volume fan and then soap the seams. This is a more positive method. Some RV dealers can do this test for you. Getting your trailer leak free is worth the money.

There are several sealant threads on Air Forums. I like the Acryl R that Airstream uses for seams and joints. Tempro 635 is a good caulk for vents and the like. Silicone caulks are not welcome on Airstreams.

And buy a moisture detector. Every three months or so get on your hands and knees and probe the intersection of your interior wall to the floor. The moisture detector will find wet spots you did not notice. It's the best way to keep your new trailer dry and long lasting. Moisture is a killer for Airstreams like most other things.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I like the idea of the pressuring the shell. You can do this with box fans sealed in the doorway. Then soap up areas of the shell outside.

Mark with a China pencil

Reverse fan airflow and seal the indicated area. This will help "pull" the sealant into the void where it leaks.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'm gonna use one of those floor dry fans. I see they are squirrel cage fans with 7000 cu ft of air movement, much more than a window fan. And the outlet is much smaller, easier to mount and seal. So I can stick it in a exterior cargo door, seal it up, lift the bed and let'er blow.

Now if I only had a swimming pool so I could dunk the trailer and look for bubbles.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote