Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lakewood , Colorado
sliding wardrobe doors won't stay in place

Any suggestions to keep the sliding doors in place in my 2008 31' classic. I either have to lift door back on top track or a door will come off the bottom track. I usually have to lift the door back on top and then snap the bottom guide back in place daily over 300-500 miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've had the same problems, and have worked on it lately, but haven't had it out since the work. What I found was the aluminum the roller wheel was attached to was bending which would cause the wheels to come off the track. This also caused the door to hang a little lower than normal which caused the locks to not work correctly.

I reinforced that area of the aluminum piece where the wheel attaches. Then, readjusted the locks. I also made some straps out of Velcro that go thru the handles to lock the doors in place when traveling.

And one more thing....I had trouble with the bolts coming loose that held the roller wheels on, so I used red Locktite on them when I reassembled.

Time will tell if these things improved the doors.

Also, see this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ors-94076.html

Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lakewood , Colorado
Thanks for the suggestion on the straps. Have had to replace the latches which were installed a little off center at the factory, that helped some, also used some locktite. In reading the other site it sounds like the top track could be reinforced to help support the heavy glass doors. We have a short tip coming up then in Sept. we're off to the Atlantic Provinces and the Cape Cod Rally. Would like not have to deal with the sliding doors coming off track.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
I'm surprised there are not more posts about this problem and a little disappointed that my 2013 31' Classic has the same problem. The wardrobe sliding doors jump off the track whenever we travel.
I'm thinking of attaching a thin strip of plastic (black delran) along the inside top edge of the doors to prevent them from lifting up and allowing the wheels to come out of the track.

Since the trailer is still under warranty, I've asked if an authorized dealer/repair shop could do this and Jackson Center people say it should be no problem.

Before I do this, does anyone else have another solution that has worked.

Thanks

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It may help to treat them just like sliding glass patio doors. Drill a hole near one edge, and insert a pin through door and door frame to not only hold the door closed in transit, but keep it from jumping its track. To keep from losing the pin, go to your local ACE Hardware, and get a patio door pin with an attached chain, so when you don't need the door pinned shut, the pin hangs from the chain.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It may help to treat them just like sliding glass patio doors. Drill a hole near one edge, and insert a pin through door and door frame to not only hold the door closed in transit, but keep it from jumping its track. To keep from losing the pin, go to your local ACE Hardware, and get a patio door pin with an attached chain, so when you don't need the door pinned shut, the pin hangs from the chain.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll take a look at that solution. I might be very simple to do. Could use a cotterless clevis pin. This would stay in place but still be easily removed.

Thanks again

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote