Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to Clyde Gartman
slideout won't come out.

I store my airstream with the slide out. When I got home from my last trip the slide won't come out. No noise when I hit the out switch, no nothing. I would think a blown fuse, bad switch or bad motor...... maybe a weak battery. Any ideas?
Clyde Gartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
South Bend , Indiana
Are you plugged into your house? Or your tow vehicle? I would think your slideout would need plenty of power!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Kemblkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Gartman View Post
I store my airstream with the slide out. When I got home from my last trip the slide won't come out. No noise when I hit the out switch, no nothing. I would think a blown fuse, bad switch or bad motor...... maybe a weak battery. Any ideas?
Try pushing (hard) at the top of the slide (in the top middle of the slide) while standing in the interior of the trailer while a helper operates the switch.

That is Standard Operating Procedures for deploying ours on the 34'er.

The electronic slide operating module is located under the roadside couch arm cover is known to be a possible problem. I plan to install a new one and carry the old one as a spare.

What year and model is your trailer?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you have never accessed the motor under the slide, it is done by removing the screws found just under the skirt. You will see the hinged panel. Once inside, check to see if the breaker on the motor has tripped. Push the red button to reset it. While you are there you might as well lube the gears, shafts, and raceways to avoid 87MH's issue.

This the same location where you use a wrench to manually open and close the slide.

Just curious, why store your trailer with the slide in the open position if it is outside? Besides unnecessary exposure of the awning to UV, your exterior gaskets suffer the same accelerated aging. It is more 'moisture proof' in the closed position as the awning barrel redirects the runoff to the shell around the opening.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The first rule of troubleshooting is, check the easy things first. Partly because checking the simple things first minimizes the "boy, is my face red" feeling when you find out that the answer was something simple.

The easiest thing to check in any 12v electrical problem is the store/use switch. So make sure it's in the "use" position as a first step in any troubleshooting exercise.

The next easiest thing to check is the fuse, so check the fuse once you know that the switch is in the "use" position.

Once these two things have been taken care of, THEN proceed to more complicated potential fixes.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'm not at my trailer but I think the fuse for my slide is one of the auto reset types.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
I would look at the controller under the arm of the couch. If you are not sure what its function is or how it works, find some one who does. First see if it is getting power when you push the switch. If it is either learn how it works or get a tech on it. It is a common controller so any RV shop should be able to trouble shoot it.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you need a controller call Power Gear and get the newest part number from them. Then Get Camping World to order it for you. Don't order thruough an Airstream dealer. You will save a bunch of money.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You didn't say what year or model your trailer was, but on my 2002 Classic 30 the power goes into the controller through push-on spade luge connectors. The push-on connector failed between the crimp and the push-on part inside the heat shrink tubing when I was moving some of the wiring around. That was hard to find. Find your controller and listen to it when you press the switch. You should hear relays clicking. IF not, probably a bad connection somewhere.

On another note, when I was gathering information for stuff on my trailer that wasn't available from the PO, I got the service manual and a bunch of stuff from power gear. Apologies to SeeMore for the contradiction, but the manuals say not to lube the rack and pinion actuator, just keep it clean.

You do have the stabilizers deployed, right?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Ours did same thing but on one side only-sofa side was not operating. Bob removed the panel above dinette where a wire was disconnected. Once he reconnected the wire, the slide worked fine. Good luck
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Do the the slide out locking mechanisms have power? If so it's not the battery. Not sure what year yours is but my 2005 Airstream manual has a surprisingly good troubleshooting guide. Check the fuse first, if not the fuse check the controller under the sofa arm. Use a volt meter to check if you have power into and out of the controller. It's probably not the motor. I had to replace the controller on mine last year.

Here's a linky to some info on the controller I posted last year...http://www.airforums.com/forums/f302...ml#post1727939
Old 09-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Just a point of clarification - the metal runners will rust despite the manufacturer's indication that lubrication is not required. I use this 'dry lubrication' product which inhibits that from happening and provides better operation:

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/prod....aspx?id=03044

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
Well, what did you find was the problem. S/O owners would like to know.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I also had a similar occurrence. It turned out be a loose ground in the inside of the locking mechanism box on the rear wall of the slide.
guskmg.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote