Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Captain Joe

2004 30' Classic Slideout
NOKOMIS , Florida
Slide out locking mechanism won't unlock.

Greetings all,
I have an '04, 30' Classic with S/O.
The aft S/O lock will not disengage, it' stuck fast to the wall with magnetic block in place. I took it apart, pulled the panel off, even plugged in a new motor... Both motors work. I couldn't hear it because of the forward motor's noise so I allowed it to hang while I depressed the unlock/lock button. It torqued visibly.
I believe the trouble lies within the small gear box beneath the motor. When the button is depressed the forward motor and screw work flawlessly, but the aft is frozen. The main screw is well lubed. Coach is under 30 amp power.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I gots to has my slide out!

Also, there's a weird little spring/flexi shaft (squared on both ends) between the motor and the gear box. Like a Never seen anything like it. Did it possibly have a shear pin attached to it? It's only about 3" long...
It's similar to a flexible drive shaft. EXAMPLE
MHZusa RC Powerboats Engines Accessories
Nokomis Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
The lock is simply too tight against the wall. If you have the cover off loosen the nuts that hold the gear box to the enclosure. Then try the switch again. After you get it unlocked you need to lube the worm gear with grease. Not silicone.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Captain Joe

2004 30' Classic Slideout
NOKOMIS , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleimanr View Post
The lock is simply too tight against the wall. If you have the cover off loosen the nuts that hold the gear box to the enclosure. Then try the switch again. After you get it unlocked you need to lube the worm gear with grease. Not silicone.
Thanks for the reply, kleiman. I have remedied the situation. Here's how.

After hours of mental gymnastics and the attempted use of semantic chicanery to outsmart the interweb thingamajig's search protocol I finally picked up the phone and dialed the number on the motor.. Yay!

Eventually, I spoke to the manufacturer of the worm drive, David Richards, who instructed me to disassemble the gearbox and visibly inspect the smaller worm gear and the bearing raceway above it.

The raceway was crushed and several bearings were loose inside the gearbox, two were worn flat where they made contact with the worm gear. I assume that one or both of them became lodged between the worm gear and the chimney (the tall upper section) wall, effectively jamming it..

David informed me that the bearing system was added per manufacturer's request (I guess that means Airstream?). Normally the worm gear utilizes a hardened-steel thrust washer.
He explained that the bearing system is not stout enough to handle the load over time and will eventually fail.

The same day I contacted him, David sent me two new worm drive systems at no cost to me. I'll install them this weekend.
Piece of Cake.

If anyone else has issues that echo mine,,, open up the gearbox.
Mind the mouse fur! That grease has a tendency to linger.
Nokomis Joe is offline   Reply With Quote