Old 01-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sleep Number Bed

We are considering replacing the queen size mattress in our 25' Flying Cloud Read Bed model with a Sleep Number short queen, radius corners at the foot. Looks like it would fit well and they are light weight. Camping World has them on sale.

Never had one, the reviews are mixed but generally good for comfort. Any experiences with one of these beds would be welcome.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I have a (don't) Sleep Number bed. We put it in our European size bed in the house. It is the same size as an RV King. It has to go. I can not get comfortable no matter what setting I chose. I've slept better on an Army cot.
The best sleep I get is in our Airstream with a nice memory foam mattress from Ikea.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I have a sleep number that came with the camper - not for the camper but with. We use it at the house for guests it's easy setup and quite comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We have the Sleep Number made for the RV, absolutely the best improvement we made. Much more supportive than the OEM and we each get to choose our number. I am sure I could have looked around for a good mattress but it seemed like that would be a gamble; we tried some foam from Rocky Mountain first. The foam helped but the OEM mattress was so bad it was not enough. We just put the foam on top of the Sleep Number and we are happy campers.
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We have a sleep number at home and love it. Had it for several years. Soon after getting our latest trailer we got the sleep number mattress at
Camping World and have been very happy with it. We are Sleep Number fans, but also understand that many are not.
2011 30' Classic
2015 Ford F250 4X4 Platinum
ProPride Hitch
extiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
If there is a "bricks and mortar" Sleep Number store within a reasonable drive, it is well worth it to go try it out in person. Sleep Number beds, like memory foam mattresses, can be a "love" or "hate" kind of thing. We went into one of the local stores and asked the salesman to point us to the two models most like their RV mattresses. He was very helpful and we had all the time we needed to play around with the remotes and decide if it was what we wanted. The stores often have the same sale prices, and they'll be more than happy to order one and have it shipped directly to you (it arrives very quickly, and is fairly lightweight and easy to put together). Check on the return policies of Camping World versus ordering direct. We had a generous "no questions asked" return period from Sleep Number, but did spend a bit more due to sales tax and shipping charges.

The "Short Queen Radius" mattress is a perfect fit for our Airstream's bed platform. They do have the separate air chambers for left and right.

We are very happy with ours, but we did have to make a couple of adjustments.

What type of mattress do you have at home and how happy does it make you?

We have a Tempur-Pedic at home and I love it, but only because it has the Ergo adjustable foundation. I can't stand a memory foam mattress when it's flat for even a few minutes, but then I do have an especially cranky back and it much prefers lots of luscious, soft squishiness.

The mattress that came with our 2016 was absolutely killing my back, even with a 3" gel foam topper from Costco and a wedge under my knees. I contacted several RV mattress manufacturers and then we tried as many RV mattresses as we could find locally. Ultimately, we decided to give the Sleep Number a try, even though I haven't been a big fan of the few I've tried in the past.

The Sleep Number bed was a huge improvement, but I wasn't initially thrilled with it. The pillow top on their top-of-the-line RV version is only two inches thick. We brought the gel foam topper back in, added the wedges under our knees, and now I'm truly a happy camper. With those additions I find it VERY comfortable, and no longer wake up in pain.

If you decide on the Sleep Number I'd definitely recommend spending the extra money on their Premier version. If you like a firmer mattress, you'll probably be happy with it out of the box. If you prefer something far squishier, you may find that adding a topper will make it quite pleasant.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
We have a Sleep Number bed in the house and we LOVE it! Ours has a 2" layer of memory foam on the top. Comfy!!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thank you for the replies and recommendations, we have it ordered. Should be here Saturday.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote