Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Slamming the hatch?

We just bought our Sport 22 recently. We've noticed that to close the outer hatch (AKA "Door") we have to slam it to get it to latch properly. Is this, like, normal? If not, what do we do about it? (The dealer is several hundred miles away.)

Old 04-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
We got our 2006 23' in February and so far, both the door and the screen door need to be slammed to be totally closed. I can push the door closed, like a car door, without slamming it. But we've not had ours for too long, figured that's just the way it was.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
If you have to slam a door to get it to latch it means it is not adjusted correctly. If you want you can try this yourself - I did it on my Argosy with good results, but as in all things, it's your call and use caution. Here's the link, then scroll to post #2
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ml#post1408962
Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Try hooking the screen to the outer door and close them together. Seems to make a difference on mine.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Do not put up with a door that is hard to close. I too did not know the difference and had to slam my door on my new from factory 2006 International until one day another Airstreamer came by and told me to take it to Jackson Center for adjustment. They had to replace lower hinge, evidently not that uncommon.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Top on my warranty items for our visit next week. Not only can I not lock the deadbolt from the inside (it's so misaligned, you could slide 10-15 bills of US currency through the bottom of the door when it's "closed"), but last weekend I was almost locked inside the trailer twice! I had to fight the door handle several times before I could get out of the trailer! That was unnerving!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
There are worse places to be stuck!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I believe the problem is what you are calling it. If you call it a "hatch", then you must dog it down to secure it. Try reassuring it that it is actually just a door. It will then probably settle smartly into place. (If this make no sense, then have "someone who has gone to sea" explain it.)

Ken
Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ken, at sea there are no doors, only hatches. This can't be a hatch though because it has no knee knocker.

The video adjustment referenced above worked for me, crude but that's how Airstream does it as well. Closes with a gentle push. Do be careful not to bend it too much, it could kink.

I like to keep the flat of my hand outside the latch, following it closed. Just a way to close it more gently and maybe last longer.

Should mention our trailer is no longer new, it may be your new seal is stiffer than ours and will soften with use, making it close easier.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Hatch, door, whatever...

I think most people can grasp the situation.

Chances are the door not closing easy might be caused by the latch bolt not hitting the recess (the part in the post that the bolt falls into) correctly. It might be hitting too high or too low, but most likely the striker recess is just a little to far inboard.

The bolt and/or the striker plate may have some "witness marks" worn into the surface to help identify the direction of misalignment, and maybe not, in this case you will have to try to figure it out by trying to look at the pieces come together as the door closes,

Sometimes masking tape can be used as an aid when witness marks are transferred onto the tape.

If the striker recess is too far inboard, then the fault is probably going to be with the striker placement, if the misalignment is vertical, you will need to examine how the door fits in the opening. If it is straight and even all around, (inside and out) look at the striker recess position as the likely problem.

I don't know the configuration of the latch recess on your trailer, but on my old trailer it looks like it is adjustable, but it fits so tightly in its recess that it isn't.

If the problem is with the recess, it may require some work with a file to get the striker recess to move.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
We got our 2006 23' in February and so far, both the door and the screen door need to be slammed to be totally closed. I can push the door closed, like a car door, without slamming it. But we've not had ours for too long, figured that's just the way it was.
Try lubing the striker bolt and the striker pocket with some silicone spray.

Andy
Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I believe the problem is what you are calling it. If you call it a "hatch", then you must dog it down to secure it. Try reassuring it that it is actually just a door. It will then probably settle smartly into place. (If this make no sense, then have "someone who has gone to sea" explain it.)

Ken
I don't know, Ken. Given how well dogs live in my house, the door should be thrilled to be dogged.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Ours is also hard to open/close.
It will be addressed when we go for a service center appointment in September.
Apparently the misaligned hard to close entry door is a common complaint.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote