Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

1975 31' Sovereign
Truc kee , California
Skylight,Reflectix & Less Costly vent options

Working on my 74 Sovereign and had a few general questions I couldn't find answers to when I did a search.

First I wanted to mention thank you to all the hard work and contribution that goes into the site. Wow amazing, thank you all.

Secondly, I'm going to create a shore based Airbnb with the AS. So my approach needless to say slightly different. No holding tanks, shore water, electricity, etc etc,. Maybe the next one will be for me.

Questions:
1. I removed the giant roof AC unit and was wondering what type of skylights are a good option? Opening is pretty big, and does have a curve if left to full size. Thinking I'll need to make it more narrow closer to 18-20". Any recommendations?

2. I'm up in the mountains so its rather cold in winter. AS will have a lean-to structure overhead. Is it ok to put Reflectix on the underside of subfloor, prior to affixing to frame. Therefore it will be between the steel frame and wood of subfloor. I'm just not 100% with the pinching, compromising how tight the subfloor is to frame. In addition I'll also use a 2" rigid below the Refectix. (The rigid will not be between the frame and subfloor. Will apply after sub is on frame.)

3. I've looked at the Fan-Tastic roof vents/fans. IDK I need 3 @ $165 each. I just don't see the value there. Plastic, plastic and more plastic. Has anyone tried a 110v more traditional RV vent. I saw some for $120. Yea not much difference in price but, still worth a closer look.

4. The channel that holds the body to the subfloor and frame. Mine looks like swiss cheese as I removed it so I could wrap belly pan under top skin. Yes mine was actually top skin into belly pan...….ahhhh come on. Anyhooo, a source for that channel?

Thank you for any suggestions!
Tahoe Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fantastic makes plain old vent covers as well as vent with fans and all kinds of doodads. Put a fan in one or two of them... leave the one. Losest.to the bathroom as just a vent. Do remember though that running roof fans is much less expensive than running A/C.