Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Sitting on a slope

We are parked on a sandy slope (sort of) its solid enough but not level, so I bought some jack stands and needed one of them for one side. I figure near the tires. I can't figure out the place to put it under thats correct where any sort of jack would go. Got any tips? axle?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
NOT AXLE.....I use jack stands on the axle plate only for storage. Four of them...just aft of the rear axle and just in front of the front axle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
If the axle plate is the vertical metal (thats thick) and behind the tires, that is what I have decided to set one jack stand. I know not to use the levelers for jacking. Just thought there was a certain 'place' that a jack should be set under there.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Sitting on a slope

The axle plate is the heavy vertical steel that the axle is bolted to. My 74 Sov was on four jack stands on the axle plates for over a year while I worked on her... Even after I had removed the axles.

-Red
Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I just want to make sure we are all talking about the same thing. Because the vertical steel wall is all I see when looking underneath there...so that is what I am going to set one jack stand under...I just need about a four inch lift and am tired of a fridge door that swings open. lol.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
There is a very heavy vertical metal plate that each axle, and the shock absorber, is bolted to. That is what I'm talking about as the axle plate. I had my trailer supported solely on jack stands under those plates for quite a while.

That's the ONLY place I would place a jack for lifting, or a jackstand for support, on my trailer. I have a thread, Resurrecting Big Bertha, that has quite a few pictures of my trailer with the axles removed... I'll see if I can find one of the Jack stands on the axles plates.

-Red
Old 09-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Best, and easiest, way to level on a slope is with the drive on Lego blocks...

-Red
Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Sitting on a slope

And, as previously stated, DO NOT Jack the trailer up, or place a Jack stand, on the axle tube. The bend of the tube sets up your wheel alignment. You really don't want to change that...

-Red
Old 09-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
We have been parked here for about four months...not realizing the kitchen side was settling -I usually would just take a two X four and back the tires up on it, but not this time. So I got a set of three ton jack stands and am going to use the one for the purpose of raising it a few inches (with a bottle jack first) then set the jack stand in place. Red I am sitting here if you find that link with photos.
Last year a fellow showed me how to replace the rings in the wheels which I did myself and him coaching...but we were using a floor jack on a pcked gravel parking surface and I just could not remember where we had it set.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Go to my thread, "Resurrecting Big Bertha... or, How I Spent $30,000 On A $2,000 Trailer" and look at post number 171. The first picture in that post is a picture of the axle plate. Anywhere on that plate should be good. Still looking for a picture of the jack stands.

-Red
Old 09-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
About four or five pictures down you'll see a picture of the new axle installed with a jackstand right beside it...

-Red
Old 09-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
See if you can stick a link in here Red ---- ok nevermind I found it. Hey thanks, it always helps to get advice from you guys.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hope it helped... Sorry I couldn't stick the link in. I was headed out the door while posting...

-Red
Old 09-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Maybe I'm missing something here - I carry several 2"x6" boards about 2 feet long that have one edge beveled. I use these to level from side-to-side by placing them just in front of the lower side's wheels and drive up on them. The front-to-back level is via the tongue jack, and then I lower the stabilizers. So, why the need for jack stands?
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I recommended the Lego blocks for leveling, but his question was about where to place a jackstand, so I also answered the question... My original leveling blocks were very similar to what you described, except made out of 2x10's.

-Red
Old 09-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
I recommended the Lego blocks for leveling, but his question was about where to place a jackstand, so I also answered the question... My original leveling blocks were very similar to what you described, except made out of 2x10's.

-Red
The only reason to keep the trailer level, is for the reefer to work properly.

It's off level limit is 1/2 of a bubble, front to back or side to side.

If the reefer will not be used, then being off level doesn't matter.

For long term storage, for the larger Airstreams, use 6 jack stands.

Place 2 on the A-frame, just forward of the shell.

Place 2 on the frame as it enters the rear banana wraps.

Place 2 on the axle mounting plate, between the tires.

NEVER, EVER, on the axles.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post

-Red
You're right - but why would he need the jack stand on one side? Why not just level with the Lego blocks or boards?
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote