Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Sierra Trailer Restorations

I'm getting ready to have my rear end fixed and tried to locate Sierra Trailer Restorations in NV. I talked to Pete Snyder earlier this year and felt pretty good about having him do this work at his shop in Nevada City. Today I went back to Craigslist to find his contact info again and instead found another Sierra Trailer Restorations advertiser, Hugh Butcher in Minden NV.
Does anyone have any experience with these restorers? Esp Hugh in Minden.
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Sierra trailer Restoration is in Grass Valley CA. Up by the airport.

530-265-6800

Nevada City is Right next door.
A bit of trivia... Nevada was named after the city of Nevada in Ca. Had to change its name to Nevada City.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
So I'm guessing no one has any experience with the guy in Minden. I'm skeptical because he's using the same name as the other, almost no info on the web other than a single complaint on the BBB site. He was chatty on the phone and said he's worked on aircraft, historic homes and airstreams....I wish I could find more info.

I'm feeling more comfortable with Pete.

Comments?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
I've only heard good things locally about the Grass Valley shop. It's an easy drive over to check out his shop. I've seen trailers outside. Mostly vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Work has begun

Earlier this year I had the Silver Olive picked up by the folks at Sierra Trailer Restoration (Grass Valley). Due to weather, they only now started digging into the rear wood rot issue. It appears to be worse than hoped - but probably not worse than actually expected. - with rot not only around the shell but extending to the toilet. And because of some frame rust, they've dropped the black tank and removed the bathroom. Arg.... since they have the appropriate access now, they'll proceed with the repair and add a gray tank and PEX.

Hoping this doesn't hurt my wallet too much more than planned ...

I'm going to take a ride over there in the next couple weeks to see the progress.

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear floor and fram work.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	286205  
2006 F-150 Lariat QuadCrew
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
She's Baaaaack

The Silver Olive is back home. The work was more involved than I'd hoped. There was significant rear floor rot, frame deterioration, bumper/box redesign, plumbing/tank damage and shell leaks... And I kept adding items: PEX, electric ignition hot water tank, updated fuse panel, removing antennas & patching, adding gray tank, removing defunct furnace & ducting, certifying the propane tanks, and removed non-original striping.

The work was done proficiently and implemented nicely. Jason is a craftsman - and has enough experience to know how to approach this work - and include a few extras that make it all more "user friendly".

It's amazing to have everything working again! Solid and ready for another 30 years. I plan to take it back later this summer for a polish. This cost me more than I was really prepared for, but I feel it was a fair price. I highly recommend Sierra Trailer Restorations.

Cheers,
Funkee