Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Side battery door on a '71 Overlander and rear twins.

So I'm wondering if someone can take a look at the photo of the curb side of my 1971 Overlander and let me know if the battery door is factory or a PO mod. Most photos have the slide out battery box. This one had the battery in the rear and the side access is a regular small hatch door. The odd thing is that the curb side aluminum bunk rail mounted to the side covers about a third of the opening. There is a nice piece of vinyl coated aluminum covering the part of the opening that sticks above the bed channel. Seems odd and since I'm redoing the rear bunks should I raise the beds to allow the full use of this hatch? What is the bed height supposed to be? Thank for any tips or insight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	204546  
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper View Post
So I'm wondering if someone can take a look at the photo of the curb side of my 1971 Overlander and let me know if the battery door is factory or a PO mod. Most photos have the slide out battery box. This one had the battery in the rear and the side access is a regular small hatch door. The odd thing is that the curb side aluminum bunk rail mounted to the side covers about a third of the opening. There is a nice piece of vinyl coated aluminum covering the part of the opening that sticks above the bed channel. Seems odd and since I'm redoing the rear bunks should I raise the beds to allow the full use of this hatch? What is the bed height supposed to be? Thank for any tips or insight!
I would guess the door is factory, however not for the battery. The battery compartment should be sealed from the interior of the camper. The door you are asking about looks to be outside access for storage under the bunk. Like for a jack or wheel blocks.
As for the bed height, I would think it should be whatever you are comfortable with. i.e. space between the bottom and top bunk as well as the top bunk and the wall cabinet.
In my 1971 Argosy the top bunk folds down to become the back of the lounge. So when I made a new base for mine, I had to keep it the same height.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Gun Barrel City , Texas
That looks identical to my setup...an access door partially blocked by a low bed frame, ducting, and univolt. As far as where the battery goes, I've heard the same that it is in the rear compartment but I can't see any place to put it...with all the plumbing and back side of the molded rear bath. Personally, I think the current bed setup is too low and plan to build it up about 5 inches or more. There is a series produced by the DIY Network on YouTube about the renovation of a '70 Overlander...some good info and ideas.
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Thanks for the replies and I'm glad I'm not the only one with the above setup. I'm going to be rebuilding the twin bed frames anyway so I may do as you suggest, Greg, and move things up a bit to allow better access through that side door. Since that photo, I've replaced the Univolt and will go to AGM batteries to keep from having to vent a battery box. I'm also thinking of transitioning to flexible vents and remove those rigid vents. It would just be nice to develop some of that space that is accessible from the outside and make it work better. I don't like the fact that the door is partially blocked they way it is now.

My battery was in the back compartment on a little tray that lifted it over some of the plumbing. It worked however I just want to try and free up some of the outside hatch space.

Do you have any photos or drawings of how you plan to re-do the beds and raise them up?

I have watched most of the Classic Rides shows on DIY and they do have a lot of good ideas.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	204595  
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't know if it was "new for '72" but the '72 Overlander has a funky battery compartment on the curbside near the rear, the door wrapped into the belly pan. Maybe that was a result of people being unhappy with putting the battery behind that rear service door?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Battery box elimination due to plumbing re-route??

Is it possible that the battery box (side compartment) was eliminated to facilitate the grey tank plumbing around this period?? I'm re-routing mine now and this will require the relocation of the battery (batteries-AGM subfloor).

I'm sure Andy knows this from his experiences of the earlier units.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
I'm not sure of that but it is a good question. I think the side compartment battery box doesn't extend past the outriggers. So it shouldn't interfere with the plumbing either way if your trailer has/had grey tanks installed. I added grey tanks to mine from Vintage Trailer Supply and ran all the additional plumbing down one side along the frame rails.

I also redid the electrical totally and added the AGM batteries (x3) and accessories under the curb side bed directly over the axles. We do a lot of boon-docking and this configuration gives me well over a week of conservative use and a weekend of hard use. I also added a 2500 watt inverter to run the TV/DVD, appliances, chargers, etc.

If you are boon-docking a lot like us the addition of the Trimetric battery monitor is a great investment too. Lets you constantly monitor where your batteries are at and what measures you need to take to remain a happy camper!

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I don't know if it was "new for '72" but the '72 Overlander has a funky battery compartment on the curbside near the rear, the door wrapped into the belly pan. Maybe that was a result of people being unhappy with putting the battery behind that rear service door?
My 1972 overlander has his funky lil battery compartment but I'm moving 2 big AGM batteries under my bunk along with a new smart converter charger
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
My 71 GT had the battery in the same spot right next to the univolt. As most of my interior was gone on that side i do not know what originally sealed the compartment off. One of the reasons I changed the floorboard there was due to battery acid spilled and soaked into the plywood.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote