Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
insearchoffun

2012 30' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
Shurflo pump recycling, pulsating help

We have a 2012 Classic that came with a Shuflo 4900 water pump. It had a delay before coming on. The Shurflo company (Pentair) said it should be replaced and sent me a new Shuflow 4048 pump. It is working very well except it recycles/pulsates when faucet is on. Toilet flush evidently has more demand the pump runs as it should. According to the trouble shooting guide in the literature, the pressure switch is set too low. So, looking for a little help on the procedure for making the adjustment.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Maybe a bit more info would be helpful...

The pump SHOULD pulsate (pump) when a faucet is OPEN...

The pump would normally sound different when it's pumping at a high rate (toilet), VS pumping slower (lower flow) when only a faucet is turned on...

Other than that, I guess I don't understand your concern...?

I guess for your model pump, lower flows trip the pressure switch to cause the 'pulsating' you mentioned - a higher setting may help, but I don't think those switches are adjustable...

We've got a 'variable flow' type pump that doesn't use a pressure switch, and automatically pumps slower or faster depending on demand, and therefore we don't get that 'pulsating' you mentioned...

Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by exallen View Post
We have a 2012 Classic that came with a Shuflo 4900 water pump. It had a delay before coming on. The Shurflo company (Pentair) said it should be replaced and sent me a new Shuflow 4048 pump. It is working very well except it recycles/pulsates when faucet is on. Toilet flush evidently has more demand the pump runs as it should. According to the trouble shooting guide in the literature, the pressure switch is set too low. So, looking for a little help on the procedure for making the adjustment.
attached is the installation guide. Page 3 is the how to adjust in english
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Classic Pump - 911-352_L_2088-422-144 _444_.pdf (454.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Your Shurflo is the variable speed variety used in the newer Airstreams. I have one in my FC 20'.

I have similar issues with mine, pulsing, poor flow at lower volumes, not enough at times. The pump should provide good pressure at all volumes of flow by reducing the pump speed to the lower demand, and increasing it at higher demand. Mine sags and surges, the pump turns on and off (and it should not other than at almost no volume flows) when I want to just get a drink of water or wash my hands.

I believe the real problem is with the Airstream piping system. It has so many 90 degree turns that the water flow is fooled by the back pressure of all the pipe resistance and at low flow the pump begins to cycle on and off, rather than just reducing speed.

I counted 17 90 degree elbows and turns in my system from the pump to the kitchen sink on the hot water side. Can you imagine the resistance of 17 elbows?

Airstream puts in a good pump, then cripples it with a water layout which keeps it from doing the job right. I have not come up with a solution yet, but I am fairly sure that changing the pressure switch adjustment will not really solve the problem.

When I brought it up to my Dealer, they did not have a solution either. They seemed to think if water came out of the faucet, all was OK.

Let us know if you come up with an easy solution, but don't be surprised if there is not one.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I had a pulsing issue which I solved by using an accumulator tank - works fine now, taking a shower in the trailer is like taking one at home. The tank is made by Shurflo, and is made of stainless steel. They have a cheapo one out of plastic, but I much prefer the S/S one. Notice that beside the pump there is a moisture alarm, as this is all located under the curbside wardrobe. If anything starts to leak I want to know about it ASAP.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
insearchoffun

2012 30' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by exallen View Post
Thanks for all your help. I had winterized the fresh water tank so just got around to sanitizing today. I was ready to go forth with adjusting the pressure switch, but the pump is working normally now! Perhaps it just needed re-primed? At any rate I learned a lot.