Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Shower mixture valve

Anyone have any experience replacing the hot/cold water mixture valve in their shower? There's no access panel proper and I'm wondering how to get to it. The part is reasonable at $60 but labor runs $100+ an hour.

I've got a 2010 Flying Cloud and I've been quoted 4 hours of labor for replacement but a friend is also offering to help. How schooled does one have to be in RV maintenance to replace this?

Thanks in advance.
boomlasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
what is wrong with the valve?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Ricky makes a good point. It is much easier to replace a catridge in the existing valve than it is to replace the valve. And Airstream uses pretty good parts. How hard it is to change the valve itself depends upon if and how you can get to it.
I changed the shower valve in our 87 last week. I had a leak into the valve and broke off one of the gray PBT fittings in it that Airstream used in the 80's. I had direct access to the back side of the valve through the cabinet under the sink. If you are that lucky you can do the job.

I liked the old Airstream valve better than the one from Lowes for function. I seemed like there was more travel between hot and cold with it. I had to aggressively set the hot limiter on the new valve to keep it from scalding with the extremely hot water from the Atwood heater. Never actually thought about ordering one from Airstream though. Focused on fixing the leak because we are living in the trailer for 3 months now.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

The tech didn't tell me exactly what was wrong with the valve, just that it needed replaced.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
OK, the tech didn't tell you (first concern), but obviously you must have experienced a problem with the shower. What is the problem?

You should have a Moen shower faucet in your trailer. Replacing a cartridge is relatively simple and should fix any issue you might be having with the faucet. The faucet itself usually doesn't go bad, especially in a 2010 trailer.

Let us know.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Here is a link to a factory video showing how to replace the cartridge.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
and, Moen will provide a replacement for defective cartridges for free under their Lifetime Warranty. if it's just the cartridge, call and ask for one. it will be delivered to you in about a week.

don't try to use a non-Moen brand replacement cartridge that you might find in a big-box store.

else, if there is crud in the cartridge or the valve body itself, you can disassemble, clean, flush and reassemble in about ten minutes....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the information. The original problem is that I am not getting hot water to the shower, but I am to the sinks.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomlasec View Post
Thanks for the information. The original problem is that I am not getting hot water to the shower, but I am to the sinks.
Sounds like the cartridge. We had to replace ours. We got the new cartridge from Moen. Just make sure you don't put it back upside down or hot and cold will be reversed.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
check your water heater by-pass valves before you spend money

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomlasec View Post
Check that your by-pass valves on the water heater are set properly before you decide it is the cartridge! I had the same issue in the shower (no hot water). Ended up that the by-pass valves were in the wrong position.

If you are in an area with hard water, there could be gunk built up in the valves too, and exercising them (open/close a few times) will help clear up some of that too, increasing flow.

Happy camping! Philip
Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I will second what dkrug said. I replaced a cartridge in my house kitchen faucet and was feeling rather proud of myself until I turned on the water. When moved all the way to the hot side only cold water would come out. Moved it to the cold side and it got hot.

Check this first....but....if you have had the trailer and it worked before this won't be the issue. This only happens when replacing a cartridge.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I just had to replace the Moen cartridge on our shower valve (1987 Excella). While I know that there is a lifetime warranty from Moen, I was not able to get the free replacement and had to opt for the big-box aftermarket one for $15. It was either that or suffer with a cold shower for a week. I kept to old cartridge and when I get back home, I'll go into Reno Depot and get the free OEM replacement.

I word about removing the old cartridge - it can be somewhat stuck, especially if it has been in place for over 25 years. After removing the knob, bezel and tube, I used a piece of steel held by the screw that holds the knob and gently but firmly pulled on it until the cartridge slid out. Make sure that the replacement cartridge is lubricated with plumber's lube (I used silicon plumbing grease).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

I checked the bypass valves on the water heater and they appear to be set properly according to the manual. When I order the part, how do I know the part number and model number, or are these all interchangeable/fairly common?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Moen makes several different models of cartridges, depending on the faucet. I took out the old one and had it with me when I went to the store. In past, when I had to do this for the faucets at home, I took the old cartridge with me and the person in the plumbing department just reached into a cupboard and took out a free replacement one which was exactly like my old one.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I've got hot water! I found the Moen part at Home Depot but I didn't need it because the shower magically fixed itself. GO figure! That video was simple, however. I wonder why they quoted me four hours of labor?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you were probable quoted to replace the housing in the wall.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote