Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Should I use Corrosion X on brand new trailer to prevent corrosion

I'm about to wash then wax our new 2016 31ft bunkhouse. I have a good Miguiars soap then going to Walbernize. Just wondering if I should use Corrosion X on all panel edges and every rivet before using Walbernize. I live in Florida and worry about corrosion. I had some on my 2007 Safari and want to do everything to prevent it this time around. Living in the climate how many times a year would everyone recommend I wax and go through corrosion prevention steps. I'm going to spray T9 on the steel under belly parts.
ILOVESALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
In a word, YES, you should use it regularly. My trailer developed its first diligent after only 2.5 months. If you keep the unit washed regularly and waxed, twice a year should be fine.
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Yes! Now is the perfect time. Search for any post by dkottum with respect to Corrosion Prevention. He has been my go-to guy since I bought the trailer.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Thanks will do
Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've been using CorrosionX on the shell and Boeshield T9 on the underbody steel parts for five years, no corrosion anywhere on our Airstream. We must qualify that by saying we have not driven in northern winter road salt or camped near near the salt water coasts.

So we've had a two-part prevention program, use corrosion prevention products regularly and avoid salt environments as much as possible. Most people will not be able to avoid the salt environments or want to, so frequent washings and corrosion prevention products should be used more often.

The filiform corrosion will start anywhere the factory shell coating is compromised, panel edges, holes drilled for rivets, nicks and scratches, exterior accessories such as tail light housings, hinges, locks, and wheels.

We set up a program where we inspect the trailer once a quarter for condition and operation, treat the shell edges, rivets and accessories with CorrosionX, and the underbody steel with Boeshield T9 or CorrosionX.

We took a felt-tipped clear acrylic touchup pen and run it along the panel edges, probably four times letting them dry between applications. That seems to protect the panel edges, spray the CorrossionX onto accessories and wipe up with a rag, and do the rivets with a Q-Tip dipped in CorrosionX. I only treat the panel rivets, the window/door frame rivets I wipe with a CorrosionX on a rag.

Then spray the underbody steel, such as steps, spare tire mount, stabilizers, and axles being careful to never get any into the brake drums.

We started this process the day we brought the Airstream home, it's very simple, takes maybe an hour or so a few times a year.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Thank You for the advise. I'm going to use your methods though theres a lot of rivets on a 30ft. Hitting each one with a Q tip will take me a week I think😳
Old 06-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just treat the rivets holding panels, that's where the filiform corrosion happens. Should take less than an hour. Touch each one with CorrosionX, let them soak for awhile as you move ahead, then wipe up with a rag.

I haven't done the white roof panel rivets, no problems there for us.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
........"then going to Walbernize"

I think you will find that the newer polymer sealants & wax's will last & perform much better than the walberstuff....(lasted less than 6mos on our Classic.)

Bob
Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Bob's link above is a great source for car washing accessories as well. I use their mop on a stick for washing
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We've been using CorrosionX on the shell and Boeshield T9 on the underbody steel parts for five years, no corrosion anywhere on our Airstream. We must qualify that by saying we have not driven in northern winter road salt or camped near near the salt water coasts.

So we've had a two-part prevention program, use corrosion prevention products regularly and avoid salt environments as much as possible. Most people will not be able to avoid the salt environments or want to, so frequent washings and corrosion prevention products should be used more often.

The filiform corrosion will start anywhere the factory shell coating is compromised, panel edges, holes drilled for rivets, nicks and scratches, exterior accessories such as tail light housings, hinges, locks, and wheels.

We set up a program where we inspect the trailer once a quarter for condition and operation, treat the shell edges, rivets and accessories with CorrosionX, and the underbody steel with Boeshield T9 or CorrosionX.

We took a felt-tipped clear acrylic touchup pen and run it along the panel edges, probably four times letting them dry between applications. That seems to protect the panel edges, spray the CorrossionX onto accessories and wipe up with a rag, and do the rivets with a Q-Tip dipped in CorrosionX. I only treat the panel rivets, the window/door frame rivets I wipe with a CorrosionX on a rag.

Then spray the underbody steel, such as steps, spare tire mount, stabilizers, and axles being careful to never get any into the brake drums.

We started this process the day we brought the Airstream home, it's very simple, takes maybe an hour or so a few times a year.

One hour to do all that? It takes me over 3 hours just to wash a 30' trailer.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Me too!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
When I purchased my 30' FC, I had the dealer rustproof the underside.
Since my wife is terrified of mice, we used "Mouse Free".
Too early to see results.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Well, as one to the south of you in the super humid climate, I can say that I have the corrosion but it was already there when I purchased it. I saw the corrosion on the brand new ones at the Tampa Supershow. I just don't worry about it as a cosmetic issue. I would say do what you can but don't fret over it. It can "tarnish" your perception on owning it.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Is Corrosion X advised for a new Airstream with the clear coat on the aluminum?
Bob
Robert24341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert24341 View Post
Is Corrosion X advised for a new Airstream with the clear coat on the aluminum?
Bob
That's where it IS needed. Search filiform corrosion to understand.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
It takes an hour to apply CorrosionX to the panel rivets and panel edges, spray and wipe accessories and wheels, spray underbody steel. Try it. I don't treat the white roof panel rivets, maybe I should; add 15 minutes.

More seriously, you'll develop your own system suited to your climate and travels. The CorrosionX and Boeshield T9 work well.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Walbernize protects for a lot longer than people realize. I spilled some on an outdoor wrought iron back yard table and I could not get it off no matter what I used. Finally , about two years later in the Texas sun it went away. I'll always use it for durability. And, so for, no corrosion.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It takes an hour to apply CorrosionX to the panel rivets and panel edges, spray and wipe accessories and wheels, spray underbody steel. Try it. I don't treat the white roof panel rivets, maybe I should; add 15 minutes.

More seriously, you'll develop your own system suited to your climate and travels. The CorrosionX and Boeshield T9 work well.

I can honestly tell you that had I stumbled on this site before purchasing our Airstream I would have never made the decision to by it. The amount of concern regarding corrosion, its prevention and care would have sent me to buy a fiberglass Trailer. As I said just to wash my 30' takes me over 3 hours and it takes me over 4 when I really get into it. I am a healthy 72 year old and can crawl all over it but how about in 5 years. I have yet to find a reliable place to get a good wash much less a place to do all of the work yo are all describing here to prevent an Airstream from simply disintegrating from corrosion. I am exhausted just reading about it. May be I should just get rid of it before all my rivets pop and my belly pan falls of from rust.
Anyone interested in a 2013 30' International Signature Series. Great shape, washed regularly, never Warbelized, WD40 ied, or the bally pan sprayed. But I do have a new set of Michelin's on it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Should I use Corrosion X on brand new trailer to prevent corrosion

Seriously, it's NOT that big a deal. Our AS was stored outdoors in WA state for years. Very little filiform corrosion. I don't obsess about it. I'm 68, if the AS gets washed at all, it's every couple years. I don't obsess about shiny. I go camping.

😀IMHO some folks on the forums (a minority) are way too worried about the looks of their vehicles.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Frank, I'm 70 years old and corrosion preventive treatment is an incredibly easy process, apply and wipe. Washing the Airstream is much more difficult.