Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
franklyfrank,
I find myself thinking the same about what might have happened had I read this forum first. It at least has given me a better understanding why some consultants involved with manufacturing improvement laughed at me for getting an AS.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Okay, here's the 20 minute CorrosionX treatment.

Take the spray can and spray along the rivet lines and panel edges. Let in soak a couple of minutes and wipe it up. Spray the underbody steel parts and let them be. You're done and your Airstream has great corrosion protection.

If you live and camp in the desert do it every couple of years. If you live or camp at the beach or pull it through northern road salt do it more often.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:06 AM   #23
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
How much Corrosion X does it take to treat a fairly new 30'
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
One spray can should easily do, but CorrosionX (and/or Boeshield T9) are good general purpose lubricating and penetrating oils. We carry a can in our Airstream on our long travels. Buy two.

I mentioned earlier dabbing the rivets with a Q-Tip dipped in CorrosionX. That method didn't receive rave reviews but takes much less than 1/4 can.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We've been using CorrosionX on the shell and Boeshield T9 on the underbody steel parts for five years, no corrosion anywhere on our Airstream. We must qualify that by saying we have not driven in northern winter road salt or camped near near the salt water coasts.

So we've had a two-part prevention program, use corrosion prevention products regularly and avoid salt environments as much as possible. Most people will not be able to avoid the salt environments or want to, so frequent washings and corrosion prevention products should be used more often.

The filiform corrosion will start anywhere the factory shell coating is compromised, panel edges, holes drilled for rivets, nicks and scratches, exterior accessories such as tail light housings, hinges, locks, and wheels.

We set up a program where we inspect the trailer once a quarter for condition and operation, treat the shell edges, rivets and accessories with CorrosionX, and the underbody steel with Boeshield T9 or CorrosionX.

We took a felt-tipped clear acrylic touchup pen and run it along the panel edges, probably four times letting them dry between applications. That seems to protect the panel edges, spray the CorrossionX onto accessories and wipe up with a rag, and do the rivets with a Q-Tip dipped in CorrosionX. I only treat the panel rivets, the window/door frame rivets I wipe with a CorrosionX on a rag.

Then spray the underbody steel, such as steps, spare tire mount, stabilizers, and axles being careful to never get any into the brake drums.

We started this process the day we brought the Airstream home, it's very simple, takes maybe an hour or so a few times a year.

Do you wax? If so, do you wax before or after the CorrosionX process?

Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
franklyfrank,
I find myself thinking the same about what might have happened had I read this forum first. It at least has given me a better understanding why some consultants involved with manufacturing improvement laughed at me for getting an AS.

My biggest gripe is with Airstream. I feel that it is their responsibility to manufacture a worry free product. If it is prone to corrosion and needs preventative measures they should install it at the factory. I feel the same way about them re, installing GYM tires and 15" wheels. They should make the 16" wheels and Michelin tires a standard as well.
After all they charge a small fortune for these trailers. I am willing to pay it but in return I want to simply hitch up, go traveling without worrying about corrosion damage an tire thread separation. Pay 90 grand for it and end up with non stop anxiety owning it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Okay, here's the 20 minute CorrosionX treatment.

Take the spray can and spray along the rivet lines and panel edges. Let in soak a couple of minutes and wipe it up. Spray the underbody steel parts and let them be. You're done and your Airstream has great corrosion protection.

If you live and camp in the desert do it every couple of years. If you live or camp at the beach or pull it through northern road salt do it more often.
Before doing that I surely need to wash it because you can't wipe over dirt without scratching the finish.
I might give that a try the next time I wash it, providing I have enough energy left. Or maybe just stop fretting over it and let the next owner worry about it.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #28
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
I see it much like owning a home, you have to clean it, cut the grass, prune the trees and bushes. Every few years you have to paint it. Have to change the oil in your car, wash it, rotate the tires... that's life!

You could have purchased SOB for a lot less and every 10 years just give it to someone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My biggest gripe is with Airstream. I feel that it is their responsibility to manufacture a worry free product. If it is prone to corrosion and needs preventative measures they should install it at the factory. I feel the same way about them re, installing GYM tires and 15" wheels. They should make the 16" wheels and Michelin tires a standard as well.
After all they charge a small fortune for these trailers. I am willing to pay it but in return I want to simply hitch up, go traveling without worrying about corrosion damage an tire thread separation. Pay 90 grand for it and end up with non stop anxiety owning it.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Seriously, it's NOT that big a deal. Our AS was stored outdoors in WA state for years. Very little filiform corrosion. I don't obsess about it. I'm 68, if the AS gets washed at all, it's every couple years. I don't obsess about shiny. I go camping.

😀IMHO some folks on the forums (a minority) are way too worried about the looks of their vehicles.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
That is basically my motto as well. I do try to wash it every 4 weeks or so simply because I like it clean looking but otherwise I do not fret over the thing.
Once I got past the first few dings and scratches and realized it didn't affect our enjoyment of it at all I learned to relax and enjoy.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Who's fretting, it's just routine maintenance. I've had cars that rust, houses that need paint, guns that need cleaning, a body that had cancer. Preventive care helps them all, and sometimes they need fixing anyway.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #31
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Has anyone tried CorrosionX HD (Heavy Duty) aka Amber?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
[QUOTE=Pongo;1811206]Do you wax? If so, do you wax before or after the CorrosionX process?

I wash, apply Corrosion X then wax
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Bump............

Are ya'll still using Corrosion X and treating your rig the way this thread is saying or have things changed in the last 5-6 years with finishes and or products used to treat these issues. Thanks.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
I’m still using the same protocol. No issues for 10 years.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
We've been using CorrosionX on the shell and Boeshield T9 on the underbody steel parts for five years, no corrosion anywhere on our Airstream. We must qualify that by saying we have not driven in northern winter road salt or camped near near the salt water coasts.

So we've had a two-part prevention program, use corrosion prevention products regularly and avoid salt environments as much as possible. Most people will not be able to avoid the salt environments or want to, so frequent washings and corrosion prevention products should be used more often.

The filiform corrosion will start anywhere the factory shell coating is compromised, panel edges, holes drilled for rivets, nicks and scratches, exterior accessories such as tail light housings, hinges, locks, and wheels.

We set up a program where we inspect the trailer once a quarter for condition and operation, treat the shell edges, rivets and accessories with CorrosionX, and the underbody steel with Boeshield T9 or CorrosionX.

We took a felt-tipped clear acrylic touchup pen and run it along the panel edges, probably four times letting them dry between applications. That seems to protect the panel edges, spray the CorrossionX onto accessories and wipe up with a rag, and do the rivets with a Q-Tip dipped in CorrosionX. I only treat the panel rivets, the window/door frame rivets I wipe with a CorrosionX on a rag.

Then spray the underbody steel, such as steps, spare tire mount, stabilizers, and axles being careful to never get any into the brake drums.

We started this process the day we brought the Airstream home, it's very simple, takes maybe an hour or so a few times a year.

6 years later, this is still great advice.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A different approach....

....with the shield & bio stuff.
I use both and went after the filiform religiously for the first 4-5 years.
Every outbreak was stopped in its tracks.
I noticed the after all the original compromised panels revealed themselves the new outbreaks were now the result of road or self damage to the clear-coat. VERY few new rivet or seam filiform was happening.
I wash several times a season, inspect often.
And use a surface sealer,(Griots One step) every Spring.

IMHO...

The methods used are not as important as using the method chosen.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Old 03-24-2024, 06:41 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Has anyone tried CorrosionX HD (Heavy Duty) aka Amber?
X2 - anybody using the HD variety? Worth it?

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, scheduled to build 5/16

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
also give this product a try

CRC 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor
provides effective protection for steering & throttle linkages
Extended corrosion protection
Seals out moisture

it works for us
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:27 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Actually I just read the HD version of CorrosionX goes on as a tacky brownish film; so no go on the HD.

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, scheduled to build 5/16

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:37 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
I tried the HD on my snowmobile trailer axles once. It's like spraying honey on everything. Goes on thick. Collected a lot of dirt too. Now I just stick with the regular stuff and use it on my truck frame,trailer axles and chains a couple times a year.
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote