Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Shore power & water connections - where?

I am gradually getting my 1973 31'r back together. Since my unit was basically gutted inside when I started I have both the responsibility and the oportunity to rebuild it in whatevere way I want. One of the things that I need to do is add new outside connections to both shore power and water. The original connections were at the back corner on the street-side. I would actually rather have the new connections be on the curbside a few feet behind the entrance door. That would be a lot easier for what I have in mind for the interior remodel. My second choice would be to put them on the street-side directly opposite my first choice location. So here are the questions that come to mind:

1.) What is the ideal location from the external point of view? Are most RV parks set up so that the street-side rear corner is closest to the power and water hookups?

2.) Is there any reason that I am missing that would make putting the connections on the curb-side middle impractical?

3.) If my connections were on the curb-side middle how long should I plan on my hose and power cable being to make up for the awkward location?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Old 05-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi malcolm,

good thread, i'll be curious to hear what people say. i'm planning installing all of mine on street side, just forward of the wheel well because that's where my fresh tank will be, water pump and electrical panel.

in terms of reason not to install curb side, i'd be worried about having anykind of cords or hoses curb side as it just seems that it could be a tripping hazard especially at night, not only for you but any neighbors that may come around.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'm sure there are variations, but the code specifies that the connections are in the rear streetside. That's where you'll find them in most campsites.

If you put them on the curbside, you'll be dealing with extra cord and hose each time you hook up. Less important, but still a concern, is the campground owner or busybody that will give you the evil eye for being a DIY'er. Doubt it would get you booted, but it may subject you to a more rigorous "inspection".

Something we don't need with the age restrictions and everything else.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Having your "utilities" on street side is also helpful for positioning the door close to the dump station hole. Most of the dump stations I've been to were curved to the left. Like this ). It makes it easy to view through driver's window or mirror.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Maybe - just a thought - you can do both. It would not be that big a deal to install a water connection on both sides - one woulld be capped when the other is in use and a parallel electrical connection on both sides with Marinco marine cable connections. The cost would be not that much in the overall restoration of a project camper. You would be set up for what ever came along. We have been in Airstreams for 3 years now and more than once have run into a situation where we needed extra hose or power cords or BOTH. Usually this happens in older campgrounds or state parks - never been a real issue - I carry extra of both just because.

Above posts are correct - whenever we have had full hookups they were always on the street side rear.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Some of the State parks in Washington have hookups on the curbside front. Certainly not the norm but I've encounterd it often enough that I learned to carry extra length of power and water.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I'm sure there are variations, but the code specifies that the connections are in the rear streetside. That's where you'll find them in most campsites.

If you put them on the curbside, you'll be dealing with extra cord and hose each time you hook up. Less important, but still a concern, is the campground owner or busybody that will give you the evil eye for being a DIY'er. Doubt it would get you booted, but it may subject you to a more rigorous "inspection".

Something we don't need with the age restrictions and everything else.
Which code are you refering to? Code for trailers or code for RV parks?

Malcolm
Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
why put the utilities where you sit? Do your eally want your hose hang there while you enjoy happy hour? Move them out of sight to the street side.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Which code are you refering to? Code for trailers or code for RV parks?

Malcolm
The code would be for RV Parks.

I can't remember whether it's NFPA or NEC, but my guess would be NFPA 1194.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
So is the general concensious that I can put the connection anywhere I want to and that the considerations are mostly ones of appearance, convenience, accesibility and tradition?

Malcolm
Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You are correct that you can put the connection any where you want. With enough sewer hose you can get from Point A to Point B. I think that a trip to the dump station might be a real challenge with the hole on the other side of the trailer. I personally like to make my dump station stops as brief as possible.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
So is the general concensious that I can put the connection anywhere I want to and that the considerations are mostly ones of appearance, convenience, accesibility and tradition?

Malcolm
I think what most are saying (boy, that can get me into trouble) is that the common "standard" if there is one is to have the RV utilities in the street side rear for most campgrounds that you will use. There are always exceptions to the rule, like at my house where I have the water fawcet and power box on the curb side and wish I had them street side for my camper. You can always count on and extra 10' of water hose to come in handy - I carry a 20' and 2X10' of water hose, an extension cord for the 30A is something I have not needed and have yet to buy, I have yet to use my additional dump hose and found that at most places that 25' is enough - once just barely.

You can plan accordingly and make the mods now or wish you had later - if it is an ongoing project - now is easier.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
I am gradually getting my 1973 31'r back together. Since my unit was basically gutted inside when I started I have both the responsibility and the oportunity to rebuild it in whatevere way I want. One of the things that I need to do is add new outside connections to both shore power and water. The original connections were at the back corner on the street-side. I would actually rather have the new connections be on the curbside a few feet behind the entrance door. That would be a lot easier for what I have in mind for the interior remodel. My second choice would be to put them on the street-side directly opposite my first choice location. So here are the questions that come to mind:

1.) What is the ideal location from the external point of view? Are most RV parks set up so that the street-side rear corner is closest to the power and water hookups?

2.) Is there any reason that I am missing that would make putting the connections on the curb-side middle impractical?

3.) If my connections were on the curb-side middle how long should I plan on my hose and power cable being to make up for the awkward location?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Malcolm

I think that you are doing such a great job, I thought for sure that you where going to through the towel in, you should be proud when finished. I'm running electrical and water, sanitation at the back corner street side, and my reason when setting under the awning we don't want to see cords, and hoses. For electrical I went with Marinco power inlet, and for sanitation thinking about macerator system.

Steve

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3115.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	59895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3109.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	59896  

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
Malcolm

I think that you are doing such a great job, I thought for sure that you where going to through the towel in, you should be proud when finished. I'm running electrical and water, sanitation at the back corner street side, and my reason when setting under the awning we don't want to see cords, and hoses. For electrical I went with Marinco power inlet, and for sanitation thinking about macerator system.

Steve

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for word of encouragement. I have indeed thought about throwing in the towel from time to time but I am still hanging in there.

I too intend to use a macerator system for waste dumping. Also my unit will have the bath at about the street-side middle point so having the dump outlet on the street-side will be very natural. The main reason I wanted to move the water and electrical inputs is because they do not need to connect to anything directly in the back of my unit. I wanted to minimize the overall lengths inside for various reasons. The old electrical breaker panel was in the back corner built into one of the bedside cupboards. The new integrated panel that I have will be up front just behind the entry door. I can run a main wire from the back corner under the floor to that point but it just seems to me to be awkward to do so. The water input used to connect to the water heater that was in the back corner too and then ran above the floor through cupboards and the bathroom. I am going to relocate the water heater futher forward too. I think that I am leaning more in favor of putting the inputs on the street-side but maybe about midship in front of the axles. That would put them in the area of the refrigerator and the kitchen cabinets on that side. I also have an original propane generator on that side that connects over to the electrical panel area so I could follow the same route for the main input wiring.

Malcolm